Jul 27, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Braves starter Brandon Beachy, fully recovered from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow, will make his first start of the 2013 season on Monday against the Rockies, reports David O’Brien. He is effectively taking Tim Hudson‘s spot in the rotation. Hudson was lost for the season on Wednesday after suffering a gruesome injury to his leg and ankle.
Beachy, now 26 years old, underwent Tommy John surgery on June 21 last year after posting an even 2.00 ERA through his first 12 starts.
Despite getting Beachy back, the Braves are still in the market to add another starting pitcher before Wednesday’s deadline. Most recently, they have shown interest in Jake Peavy of the White Sox and Ervin Santana of the Royals.
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 9
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 42
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 66
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)