Jul 27, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Braves starter Brandon Beachy, fully recovered from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow, will make his first start of the 2013 season on Monday against the Rockies, reports David O’Brien. He is effectively taking Tim Hudson‘s spot in the rotation. Hudson was lost for the season on Wednesday after suffering a gruesome injury to his leg and ankle.
Beachy, now 26 years old, underwent Tommy John surgery on June 21 last year after posting an even 2.00 ERA through his first 12 starts.
Despite getting Beachy back, the Braves are still in the market to add another starting pitcher before Wednesday’s deadline. Most recently, they have shown interest in Jake Peavy of the White Sox and Ervin Santana of the Royals.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 27
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)