Jul 27, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Harper left the first game of yesterday’s doubleheader after he aggravated his left knee while making a diving catch of a liner off the bat of Daniel Murphy in the fifth inning. He wasn’t in the starting lineup for the nightcap, but grounded out as a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning. Fortunately for the Nationals, the knee issue appears to be nothing more than a minor scare.
Harper, 20, is batting .270/.371/.517 with 14 home runs and 31 RBI in 66 games this season. The Nationals enter play this afternoon at 50-54, 8.5 games behind the Braves in the National League East and nine back for a Wild Card spot.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)