Chris Archer tosses two-hit shutout against Yankees

Jul 27, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT

Chris Archer Reuters Reuters

Chris Archer‘s recent stretch of dominance continued this afternoon, as he tossed a two-hit shutout in a 1-0 victory over the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. It was his second shutout in his past three starts.

This qualified as a “Maddux” for Archer, as he needed just 97 pitches to finish it off. Outdueling Ivan Nova, the 24-year-old right-hander struck out six and didn’t walk a batter. Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune notes that Archer is the first rookie pitcher to throw a shutout against the Yankees in New York since the Orioles’ Arthur Rhodes did it on July 29, 1992.

Archer will finish July at 4-0 with a 0.73 ERA and 22/7 K/BB ratio in 38 innings over five starts. Meanwhile, the first-place Rays have a 2.27 ERA this month. It’s no wonder why they are the hottest team in baseball.

1. dondada10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Delmon Young turns into Matt Garza who turns into Chris Archer. Well played, Tampa.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Great point. Why on earth does anyone still pick up the phone when Friedman comes a callin’? Do they not have caller i.d.? Do they not have eyes to see?

2. Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Uh oh. Cue the Razed fans…then environmental niche vacated by the Feelies fans is wide open for anyone willing to evolve fins.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I promise to remain level headed and rational. I’ve known losing for too long. I don’t know about the bandwagoners.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Nice Maddux for Chris Archer. ‘Burgie, pay no attention to Gator. You may gloat all you like.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Nah, gloating isn’t my style. :-)

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Nova looked lost. Your little punk sure is full of himself but he done goooood. ABBOY!

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

He comes off like a cocky little shit, doesn’t he? I follow him on Twitter and he’s seeking for more meaning. Surprisingly deeper than he looks.

• jwbiii - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Well, he certainly quotes the great thinkers of our times.

"Play the game with the heart of a little boy & the mind of a grown man"- Robinson Chirinos— Chris Archer (@ChrisArcher42) February 20, 2013

I jest, I jest. It’s a good read, as those things go. His kid’s a real a cutie, too.

• indaburg - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:08 AM

LMAO

• ronswansonsdinner - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Lol at this loser marlins fan. Guy is clearly jealous as shit. Sorry your owner is a loser and your team blows. Gators suck too

• tuberippin - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Yeah, and fuck Alligators.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Nature abhors a vacuum, that’s true.

Your comment also reminded me of the parallels between the fragile ecosystems of the Everglades and HBT’s comment board. Both are currently threatened by overpopulation and a large influx of invasive non-native species.

3. southofheaven81 - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Figures. Another oustanding start for Nova down the tubes. Way to go Bombers.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

When you typed Bombers, can I assume there are mental “finger quotes” there?

• southofheaven81 - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

You bet your ass.

4. pisano - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM

No offense to Archer, because he’s going to be an ace, barring injuries, but this Yankee team would probably be shutout by a good college team, they are a horrible offensive group.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

It is shocking to see this edition of the Yankees. Are any fans calling for Cashman’s head?

• cackalackyank - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Present and accounted for pc. Aaaaaaand now for the thumbs down…

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Umm nobody with a brain is calling for his head, he did pretty good when you consider the injuries and the money he spent. Now AA and Gibbons both need to be FIRED ASAP but you know what? Even that’s wrong, OWNERSHIP needs to be fired those cheap scumbags!!!

• cackalackyank - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I agree. This is yet ANOTHER talented young arm coming along for the Rays. I live in North Carolina just down the road from the home of the Durham Bull’s, the AAA affiliate of the Rays. It is amazing to see these guys rack up the wins against other teams senior prospects. I would say today serves as a glaring example of 2 contrasting origanizations. I have been a Yankee fan since they signed Catfish Hunter. I loved the 5 championships that highlighted a mix of free agents and home grown talent. Now I look at the current collection of retreads in the line up surrounding Cano and Gardner and shake my head. Even allowing for the injuries it just doesn’t add up.

• pisano - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

cackalackyank…. I agree with you, the Rays seem to have the market on young talented arms. It’s amazing how they find these kids and turn them into major league pitchers at such a young age. I picked them to win the east, followed by the O’s, and I really don’t want to go any further, if you know what I mean.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I feel for Cano… he’s facing free agency and you have to wonder if he’s having second thoughts about staying in New York, given the state of things right now. He’s like the AL version of Stanton in Miami… a highly talented player surrounded by mostly mediocrity, on a team that is struggling. The big difference is the Feesh don’t have the 90-year history of mostly success and the expectations that always go with that as a back story.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I almost feel for the bluegays, almost. You basically have “nothing” on that team, no pitchers, nobody that can field, no future. Did I say almost? yea I think I did

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Yeah. I also feel for a guy that’s getting ready to make 9 figures. poor thing

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Archer has every right to feel proud of what he did today in the Bronx, no easy place to play even with most of the aged stars missing. They are still a professional MLB team with the second highest payroll in MLB. A team that has managed to stay above .500 without most of their stars. It’s not like he did this to the Feesh or Astros, and even then, I still would not make this comment which takes away from his accomplishment.

5. Reflex - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

June 27th: I send Gio Gonzalez to another team in exchange for Alex Gordon and Chris Archer. In a fantasy baseball dynasty league.

He thought it was Gio for Gordon with Archer as a throw in. I suspected it was Gio for Archer with Gordon as a throw in. I think I won this trade. And will have won it for years to come.

6. nygf - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

7. largebill - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Archer is still eligible for Rookie of the Year, right? I know he pitched a few games last year, but it wasn’t too many innings was it? Two weeks ago this would have been a laughable question, but with this performance and the relatively weak rookie field I think he is getting in contention.

8. 13arod - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

largebill i dont think so because he was called up 2 months in the season

9. uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Kudos to Chris Archer on an excellent outing. Nova pitched another great game but was done in by Archers performance AND the Yankees complete lack of any offense, so what else is new.

10. goodknave - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

The Indians drafted him in the 5th round and traded him for Mark DeRosa. Nice job, Shaponetti. Aargh.

11. detroitfanatic - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I respect this organization, but this shit’s starting to get old.

Pena leaves for big bucks, how bout some Kotchman and a 2.4 WAR
    Pena sucks the second time around, heres freaking Loney.
    Crawford leaves town. Sam Fuld will be April player of the month, then take some Desmond Jennings and call me in the morning.
    Grant Balfour leaves town. Boom, here’s 98 MPH lefty Jake McGee.
    Rafael Soriano heads to the big apple. Ping, try Kyle Farnsworth as a closer. 2.18 ERA
    Joaquin Benoit signs a big deal in Detroit. Here’s Joel Peralta for basically league minimum.
    Farnsworth is hurt. Let’s just have Rodney set the modern day ERA record.
    Alex Torres says “I can beat that”, as he posts a 0.30 era through 30 innings
    BJ signs for 85 Million. How bout a little Wil Myers and his 134 wRC+ through 31 games.
    Longo gets hurt. How bout something called a Keppinger and his 2.8 WAR
    Matt Garza gets traded? Try a ROY Jeremy Hellickson.
    Baseball America top 10 prospect Wade Davis doesn’t work out? Start #1 prospect Matt Moore in game 1 of the 2011 playoffs against the Rangers: 7 ip, 0 ER.
    James Shields just got traded, so let’s hope Alex Cobb steps up. 6-2 3.01 ERA
    Alex Cobb gets drilled in the face. Here’s a 6-3 2.39 ERA Chris Archer to take his place. This kid’s going to win ROY. There is no better player, despite what WAR says.

It’s just 1 after another after another. Ryan Roberts is in AAA for them. He would start at second for the Royals and 3rd for the Yankees. If I was a fan of the O’s, Sox, Yanks, Jays, or Royals, I’d be filing protests about ineptitude by Dayton Moore. Watching Wil Myers play for the next 7 years in another division makes me very, very happy.

• detroitfanatic - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Oh yeah… Kelly Johnson.
      Also. Rodney’s bow and arrow pisses me off, so they go out and actually get Archer. Just to spite us fans.

• kinggator - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Best thing I’ve read all season. The Rays really are fun to cheer for day in and day out. This was all while Hamilton, Baldelli & D Young didn’t workout in TB.

12. sillec28 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

What the Rays have done in recent years with almost no money in a division that has two of the richest teams in baseball is simply amazing. If BB fans in the Tampa Bay area want to keep this team they need to get out and support it. Yes, I know the stadium stinks and I know its location is terrible and I know people in Tampa don’t feel like driving to downtown St. Pete and I know people in other parts of Pinellas County don’t like fighting the traffic but the team is well worth watching despite those things.

• detroitfanatic - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I think one of the problems is how many minor league teams are around it. I saw an article on this. 6 minor league teams have stadiums within a 1 hour drive from Tropicana field. An 8 year old doesn’t know the difference between a AA affiliate of the Phillies, and a MLB Ray. Dad’s pocket book does though.

13. seattletony - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Where does this performance rank in “best pitched games of the modern era”? It’s probably top 15, right?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Maybe top 15 this year, but not even close to top 15 in the last 20 or so years.

14. sandrafluke2012 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM