Jul 27, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: It sounds like the simulated game went off without a hitch. According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he expects Jeter to be in the lineup tomorrow.
10:16 AM: Derek Jeter is eligible to return from the disabled list today, but the Yankees are planning to give him an extra day as he works his way back from a right quad strain.
According to Peter Botte and Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News, the Yankees announced after last night’s game that Jeter will participate in a simulated game today. This means that the veteran shortstop will not be activated until Sunday at the earliest.
Jeter said prior to last night’s game that he feels fine, but clearly the Yankees don’t want to take any chances.
“I feel fine. . . . Everything feels good,” Jeter had said between batting practice and his medical examination. “Always hopeful. We’ll see. I really have nothing for you. I didn’t assume there would be anything (wrong). I didn’t think there would be anything. Glad there isn’t. Hopefully it’s fine.”
Jeter made his return from left ankle surgery on July 11, but he made it through just four at-bats before leaving the game with the quad strain. The fourth-place Yankees are hoping his next stint with the team lasts a bit longer.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)