Jul 27, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
UPDATE: It sounds like the simulated game went off without a hitch. According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he expects Jeter to be in the lineup tomorrow.
10:16 AM: Derek Jeter is eligible to return from the disabled list today, but the Yankees are planning to give him an extra day as he works his way back from a right quad strain.
According to Peter Botte and Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News, the Yankees announced after last night’s game that Jeter will participate in a simulated game today. This means that the veteran shortstop will not be activated until Sunday at the earliest.
Jeter said prior to last night’s game that he feels fine, but clearly the Yankees don’t want to take any chances.
“I feel fine. . . . Everything feels good,” Jeter had said between batting practice and his medical examination. “Always hopeful. We’ll see. I really have nothing for you. I didn’t assume there would be anything (wrong). I didn’t think there would be anything. Glad there isn’t. Hopefully it’s fine.”
Jeter made his return from left ankle surgery on July 11, but he made it through just four at-bats before leaving the game with the quad strain. The fourth-place Yankees are hoping his next stint with the team lasts a bit longer.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)