Jul 27, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
UPDATE: It sounds like the simulated game went off without a hitch. According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he expects Jeter to be in the lineup tomorrow.
10:16 AM: Derek Jeter is eligible to return from the disabled list today, but the Yankees are planning to give him an extra day as he works his way back from a right quad strain.
According to Peter Botte and Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News, the Yankees announced after last night’s game that Jeter will participate in a simulated game today. This means that the veteran shortstop will not be activated until Sunday at the earliest.
Jeter said prior to last night’s game that he feels fine, but clearly the Yankees don’t want to take any chances.
“I feel fine. . . . Everything feels good,” Jeter had said between batting practice and his medical examination. “Always hopeful. We’ll see. I really have nothing for you. I didn’t assume there would be anything (wrong). I didn’t think there would be anything. Glad there isn’t. Hopefully it’s fine.”
Jeter made his return from left ankle surgery on July 11, but he made it through just four at-bats before leaving the game with the quad strain. The fourth-place Yankees are hoping his next stint with the team lasts a bit longer.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 69
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)