Jul 27, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: It sounds like the simulated game went off without a hitch. According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he expects Jeter to be in the lineup tomorrow.
10:16 AM: Derek Jeter is eligible to return from the disabled list today, but the Yankees are planning to give him an extra day as he works his way back from a right quad strain.
According to Peter Botte and Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News, the Yankees announced after last night’s game that Jeter will participate in a simulated game today. This means that the veteran shortstop will not be activated until Sunday at the earliest.
Jeter said prior to last night’s game that he feels fine, but clearly the Yankees don’t want to take any chances.
“I feel fine. . . . Everything feels good,” Jeter had said between batting practice and his medical examination. “Always hopeful. We’ll see. I really have nothing for you. I didn’t assume there would be anything (wrong). I didn’t think there would be anything. Glad there isn’t. Hopefully it’s fine.”
Jeter made his return from left ankle surgery on July 11, but he made it through just four at-bats before leaving the game with the quad strain. The fourth-place Yankees are hoping his next stint with the team lasts a bit longer.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 65
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)