Jul 27, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
UPDATE: It sounds like the simulated game went off without a hitch. According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he expects Jeter to be in the lineup tomorrow.
10:16 AM: Derek Jeter is eligible to return from the disabled list today, but the Yankees are planning to give him an extra day as he works his way back from a right quad strain.
According to Peter Botte and Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News, the Yankees announced after last night’s game that Jeter will participate in a simulated game today. This means that the veteran shortstop will not be activated until Sunday at the earliest.
Jeter said prior to last night’s game that he feels fine, but clearly the Yankees don’t want to take any chances.
“I feel fine. . . . Everything feels good,” Jeter had said between batting practice and his medical examination. “Always hopeful. We’ll see. I really have nothing for you. I didn’t assume there would be anything (wrong). I didn’t think there would be anything. Glad there isn’t. Hopefully it’s fine.”
Jeter made his return from left ankle surgery on July 11, but he made it through just four at-bats before leaving the game with the quad strain. The fourth-place Yankees are hoping his next stint with the team lasts a bit longer.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)