Edwin Encarnacion homered twice in the same inning last night

Jul 27, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT

Edwin Encarnacion AP

There was a fun baseball rarity in last night’s game between the Astros and Blue Jays, as Edwin Encarnacion homered twice in the very same inning.

Encarnacion took Paul Clemens deep for a solo shot to lead off the seventh inning and later hit a grand slam off Hector Ambriz to put the exclamation point on an eight-run frame. The Blue Jays ended up with a 12-6 comeback victory.

Check out Encarnacion’s exhibition of power in the video below.

Encarnacion is the second player in franchise history to hit two home run in the same inning and the first since Joe Carter on October 3, 1993. Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre is the last player in MLB to hit two homers in the same inning, as he did it last August 22 against the Orioles.

1. dondada10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Hope he get tested the next inning!

/s

• dickclydesdale - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Does it really count if he did it in that launching pad formerly known as the skydome. The Dodgers averaged 12 runs there & average only 1.25 runs at home. That tells you all about that juiced up rogers centre.

2. raysfan1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Fernando Tatis scoffs at those hit only one grand slam in an inning.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Chan Ho Park thinks that’s a shitty thing to bring up

• raysfan1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

If he sends me some of the $85M he took home in his career, I promise to never mention or laugh about it again. 0.1% will do.

Jack Morris is one of only 2 others to serve up 2 grand slams in a single game. Must’ve been pitching to the score that day.

• cohnjusack - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Here’s the video

• cohnjusack - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Man, it’s easy to forget what a great year he had in 1999:

34 HR
      107 RBI
      .298/.404/.553
      21 SB

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Two home runs by a hitter in one inning is quite rare. Both home runs were low line drives to left field. As he led off the inning, he did not have the opportunity to hit 2 grand slams. In his second at bat, he had a 3 & 0 count and swung mightily on a pitch down the middle. Strike 1. He fouled off the next pitch for strike 2. Now he had the pitcher just where he wanted him. He shortened up his swing and hit the grand slam. Unlike most hitters, Encarnacion’s BA actually goes up when he has 2 strikes.

• cur68 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

So true PC. He is a beast with 2 strikes. He should just use that short hack right through the AB. Probably see his BA approach .300 if he did. That GS was real sweet, though.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Come on guys

Career – .264
        2013 – .269

2 strikes Career
        0-2 – .157
        1-2 – .194
        2-2 – .207
        3-2 – .225

2 Strikes 2013
        0-2 – .250
        1-2 – .173
        2-2 – .235
        3-2 – .185

He never has a better BA with 2 strikes.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM

and finding two brain dead bluejay fans is even more rare, I mean just finding a bluejays fan is rare in itself but two brain dead ones? WOW!! By the way check the standings, the ship has sunk to quote my all time favorite blue jays player

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Dear Church. Check out his stats for 2012 before you use the word “never”.

• cohnjusack - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Dear Church. Check out his stats for 2012 before you use the word “never”.

Umm…he hit .238 with a .794 OPS with two strike in 2012.

I’m no mathematician, but I’m pretty sure that’s less than .280 and .941

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

“and finding two brain dead bluejay fans is even more rare”

Whereas braindead Yankee fans are a dime a dozen, dirtyharry being the most glaring example.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Yeah, I think harry’s point was that Jays fans are smart. Don’t let that go to your dead brain though. he he God, I love his nonsensical trolls.

4. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Its nice to see the bluejays found a team they can beat cause without Houston being in the AL the jays would still be on their losing streak

5. jaysfan64 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM

EE= beast with 2 strikes.
    You have to watch this guy play every day – changes approach with 2 strikes – he shortens his swing..Rasmus is doing same thing this yr…
    EE= beast without 2 strikes.

Harry = sad, pathetic little troll who really needs a hobby…

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Sadly, this IS harry’s hobby, and his life, apparently. He needs to get out of his mother’s basement and find a nice little bridge somewhere to live under. Just watch out for goats, harry.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Kidding me? When im not traveling the world (im on the road a lot) I come here to please my legion of fans and believe me I barely have the time to read all my emails and I come here to teach lessons to those who need to be taught. My hobbies include, playing the piano, tennis, bridge, and sailing. I am 6 foot 2, 210lbs, bench 410lbs, blonde hair and green eyes. Anything else you want to know? Just ask

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Legion of fans? Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

“I come here to teach lessons to those who need to be taught.”

Lessons in what? Professional trolling. I’m glad I never had a teacher like you when I was growing up. All my teachers were positive people who taught me to see the good in things. I have never seen you say anything positive in a post yet.

Nice try!

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I have a hobby, I like to torment the stupid and let me tell you something. TONS of stupid people on this thing

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

*biting tongue*

Must…. not… take… bait….

6. buffalo65 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Funny thing, the jays are having a nightmare season and they are still gonna finish ahead of the yanks.
    Book it.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Really? wanna bet a dollar on that? I didn’t think so junior, its ok I understand

7. buffalo65 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM

As the old overpaid yanks fall apart and the jays go on a run again to tease us we at least wont have to read the ramblings of a know nothing yank fan anymore. He’ll disappear just like he did durning the streak.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM

We can only hope…

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM

the jays go on a run? LOL yea right what run? The run thru hell? hahahaha say bye bye jays!! I love how all these jays fan have their heads in the clouds thinking their team actually has a chance to do squat. Its OVER and its time to ADMIT that okay? come on already

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM

You mean like the Yankees’ season is over? Like you admit that? Mmmhmm, I see…

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Oh, and the “We can only hope…” was not for the Jays to go on a run, it was for you to disappear.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Run? What run? Another losing streak you mean>? I hope so cause that’s all your gonna get out of this bunch of losers!! HAHAHAHHAA

8. sandrafluke2012 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Encarnacion, Bautista, Dunn all could have consistent next 5 years and be HOFers. If Dunn hits 600. If Bautista has 4-5 more 900 OPS years. If Encarnacion hits 500

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Don’t make a joke about that comment being aborted….Don’t make a joke about that comment being aborted….Don’t make a joke about that comment being aborted….

/slaps hand

• raysfan1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

The effort miscarried.

9. drewzducks - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM

And all of this done in support of another stellar outing by ERA Dickey.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Dickey’s outing was head and shoulders above Sabathia’s in case you missed that.

• drewzducks - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

What the hell does CC have to do with this?

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Just used to all the anti-Jays trolls being Yankee fans (like dirtyharry) so forgive me if you aren’t.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

wanna guess how many times dickey has given up 3 HRs in a game this year? or how many times he has given up 5 runs or more? You really don’t want to go there, dickey is 38 and is washed up. And the best part is you got him next year too. CC is coming off a surgery, he will be back to what he does next year. And Drabek will be a 27 year old bust next year, no different then he always has been, case closed

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Yep, you are always right, harry. The most knowledgeable baseball person on here, apparently. Why, I think HBT would probably go under if it wasn’t for you dispensing your pearls of wisdom to the unwashed masses. We bow to your infinite superiority.

/s

10. drewzducks - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM

We Sox fans can troll with the best of them. Trust me, after living through the 2011 collapse of “the best team ever” on PAPER, I’ve come to appreciate and, admittedly, enjoy the failed hype of last years Marlins and this years victim, the Jays.

11. buffalo65 - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM

CC is done, Jeter, done, Rivera, done texteria done, granderson, done and so on and so on.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM

CC is just starting, Jeter is near the end, Rivera is retiring but not because of performance, Tex will be fine, Granderson is gone and he never was anything to begin with. With that said take that Buffalo off your name, you are a disgrace to that great city and have no business taking that name

12. buffalo65 - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Like I said, jays having a terrible season, going no where but they won’t be last in September. The yanks own that for the next 5 years.
    Bud is gonna try and help them out from Arods deal. Hope they eat it.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Jays having a terrible season? HAHAHAHA that’s the understatement of the year!! Yanks will be back in the WS in 3 years tops and the Jays will be looking at almost 25 years of nothingness. Kinda like your life if you know what I mean which I know you do. Nothingness, yep that sums up your life no doubt

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3271)