Jul 27, 2013, 10:55 PM EST
Max Scherzer picked up his easiest W of the season as the Tigers rolled over the hapless Phillies 10-0 tonight at Comerica Park. With reliever Raul Valdes making a spot start in place of Cliff Lee, dealing with a stiff neck, the Tigers put up a five-spot in the first inning. Miguel Cabrera got the ball rolling with a solo home run, his 32nd of the season, and Matt Tuiasosopo added a gut punch with a three-run home run before Valdes could even break a sweat.
The Tigers added three more runs in the second on an RBI single by Cabrera and a two-run single by Victor Martinez. Extra runs were added in the fourth on a Cabrera ground out, and in the fifth on a Torii Hunter sacrifice fly.
Meanwhile, Scherzer limited a decimated Phillies lineup to one hit over six innings. He issued no free passes while striking out seven, lowering his ERA to 3.01. Al Alburquerque tossed two scoreless frames in relief before giving way to Evan Reed in the ninth. Reed enjoyed a quick 1-2-3 inning to wrap up the 10-0 victory.
The loss is the Phillies’ seventh in a row. They fall to 49-55, a full ten games behind the first place Braves in the NL East. They are temporarily ten games behind the Reds for the second Wild Card as well, but it will go up or down by a half-game depending on the result of tonight’s Reds-Dodgers game. The Tigers maintain a three-game lead over the Indians in the AL Central.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 5
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 4
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 27
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)