Jul 27, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Yesterday, we heard reports that the Rangers were considering re-acquiring third baseman Michael Young from the Phillies. Today, we learn that the Rangers have gone back on that, and will not deal for the veteran. Via MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan:
The Rangers are not planning to bring back Michael Young. Major League sources said a trade for Young between the Phillies and the Rangers is not going to happen.
If the Rangers can get turned around, they could revisit these trade discussions in August. Players need to clear waivers before they can be traded after Wednesday’s Deadline. But there is a good chance that at least some of the players being talked about will clear waivers or be in position to be claimed by the Rangers.
The Rangers have not ended discussions with other teams, they just appear to be having second thoughts about the value of making a trade right now with the way the team is going.
The Rangers have lost 10 of their last 13, falling four games back of the AL West-leading Athletics entering tonight’s action. They have already added Matt Garza and were rumored to have interest in an outfielder such as Alex Rios of the White Sox or Hunter Pence of the Giants.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)