Jul 27, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Yesterday, we heard reports that the Rangers were considering re-acquiring third baseman Michael Young from the Phillies. Today, we learn that the Rangers have gone back on that, and will not deal for the veteran. Via MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan:
The Rangers are not planning to bring back Michael Young. Major League sources said a trade for Young between the Phillies and the Rangers is not going to happen.
If the Rangers can get turned around, they could revisit these trade discussions in August. Players need to clear waivers before they can be traded after Wednesday’s Deadline. But there is a good chance that at least some of the players being talked about will clear waivers or be in position to be claimed by the Rangers.
The Rangers have not ended discussions with other teams, they just appear to be having second thoughts about the value of making a trade right now with the way the team is going.
The Rangers have lost 10 of their last 13, falling four games back of the AL West-leading Athletics entering tonight’s action. They have already added Matt Garza and were rumored to have interest in an outfielder such as Alex Rios of the White Sox or Hunter Pence of the Giants.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)