Jul 27, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Yesterday, we heard reports that the Rangers were considering re-acquiring third baseman Michael Young from the Phillies. Today, we learn that the Rangers have gone back on that, and will not deal for the veteran. Via MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan:
The Rangers are not planning to bring back Michael Young. Major League sources said a trade for Young between the Phillies and the Rangers is not going to happen.
If the Rangers can get turned around, they could revisit these trade discussions in August. Players need to clear waivers before they can be traded after Wednesday’s Deadline. But there is a good chance that at least some of the players being talked about will clear waivers or be in position to be claimed by the Rangers.
The Rangers have not ended discussions with other teams, they just appear to be having second thoughts about the value of making a trade right now with the way the team is going.
The Rangers have lost 10 of their last 13, falling four games back of the AL West-leading Athletics entering tonight’s action. They have already added Matt Garza and were rumored to have interest in an outfielder such as Alex Rios of the White Sox or Hunter Pence of the Giants.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 22
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (82)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)