Jul 27, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
It’s was assumed the Cubs already moved their biggest chip when they sent Matt Garza to Texas, but work came down from FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal on Saturday that they’re listening to offers for Jeff Samardzija.
Samardzija and the Cubs discussed a contract extension over the winter without getting very far. He’s making $2.64 million this year in his first season of arbitration eligibility. He won’t be eligible for free agency until after the 2015 season.
For that reason, the Cubs still see him as a building block rather than bait, but they could be persuaded to change their mind if the right offer comes along. It’d have to be a big one; the 28-year-old Samardzija is a modest 6-9 with a 3.94 ERA this year, but he’s struck out 139 in 137 innings and he gets a ton of grounders, too.
The Cubs would surely want two top prospects and one or two more lesser guys from the Braves, Diamondbacks, Red Sox or anyone else who comes asking. It’d be a high price to pay, but that Samardzija is probably a better long-term bet than any free agent starter available this winter could make him worth it.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)