Jul 27, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
It’s was assumed the Cubs already moved their biggest chip when they sent Matt Garza to Texas, but work came down from FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal on Saturday that they’re listening to offers for Jeff Samardzija.
Samardzija and the Cubs discussed a contract extension over the winter without getting very far. He’s making $2.64 million this year in his first season of arbitration eligibility. He won’t be eligible for free agency until after the 2015 season.
For that reason, the Cubs still see him as a building block rather than bait, but they could be persuaded to change their mind if the right offer comes along. It’d have to be a big one; the 28-year-old Samardzija is a modest 6-9 with a 3.94 ERA this year, but he’s struck out 139 in 137 innings and he gets a ton of grounders, too.
The Cubs would surely want two top prospects and one or two more lesser guys from the Braves, Diamondbacks, Red Sox or anyone else who comes asking. It’d be a high price to pay, but that Samardzija is probably a better long-term bet than any free agent starter available this winter could make him worth it.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)