Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jul 27, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT

Yankees' Sabathia reacts after catcher Romine made a throwing error on a bunt by Bay Rays' Jennings and a run scored during their MLB American League game at Yankee Stadium Reuters

Things are getting really ugly for CC Sabathia. After the big left-hander was knocked around by the Red Sox on Sunday, he gave up seven runs over five innings last night in a 10-6 loss to the Rays.

Sabathia began the outing with a 1-2-3 first inning, but he allowed six runs on six hits and a walk in the second inning. While he settled down from there, it was too big of a hole to climb for the Yankees offense.

Sabathia has now allowed 22 runs (17 earned) in 14 innings over his last three starts, increasing his ERA from 3.99 to 4.65 in the process. Only eight qualified pitchers in the AL have a higher ERA this season. The returns of Derek Jeter and Curtis Granderson will be moot for the Yankees if Sabathia can’t return to form.

By the way, with the win over the Yankees, the Rays hopped over the Red Sox for first place in the American League East. They have won 16 out of their last 18 games.

Your Friday box scores:

Red Sox 0, Orioles 6

Pirates 0, Marlins 2

Rangers 8, Indians 11 (11 innings)

Cardinals 1, Braves 4

Astros 6, Blue Jays 12

Phillies 1, Tigers 2

Mets 11, Nationals 0; Mets 1, Nationals 2

Royals 5, White Sox 1

Brewers 3, Rockies 8

Angels 4, Athletics 6

Padres 0, Diamondbacks 10

Reds 1, Dodgers 2

Cubs 3, Giants 2

Twins 3, Mariners 2 (13 innings)

1. nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Edwin, y’all!

Dickey was shaky but he only surrendered one homer while the Beavz picked him up big time by hitting 5 of them. Jose Reyes did what he does best – get on base. Colby was 4-for-5, Lawrie was 2-for-4 with a dinger.

Poor Sabathia, he’s getting just plain beat up right now. If he wasn’t a Yankee, then I’d feel sorry for him. Actually, I do feel sorry for CC, I’ve always liked him, but as a fan of an AL East rival (and a Next Generation trekkie), I simply can’t find it in my heart to feel sympathy for the Borg.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Resistance is futile!

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Resistance is futile, Red Sox Nation. Surrender now.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM

With Lester stinkin and Buchholz hurt, not to mention Price & Moore pitching like BOSSES I’m already thinking wildcard. And no this is not some complex reverse jinx attempt.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Wild card? That’s the Orioles. Does that team have the whammy on the Sox or what?

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

what

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

You might have said the same of Sawks with the Rays before this last series as well. O’s can hit and catch but they can’t pitch. Not worried.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

You say that now… wait til you’re in third place…

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Wow – one day with a 1/2 game lead certainly put a lot of wind in someone’s sails. Good thing the Trop has a lid – wouldn’t want you to float away with that big head now. ;)

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Ha! Like I said to ‘philiac, it’s just a half game lead, and we’re playing an old and really not very good team right now, outside of Cano and Mo. I expect we’ll be fighting it out ’til to the bitter end. At the same time, my favorite place to be is on top.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Since I’ve no pig spear
        this response is best left to
        the charmer Luke Scott

(Mo-ku)

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

LMAO

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Don’t encurage me

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

CG shutout of the Borg. Your move, Nation.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM

We’re playing an actual MLB team, but so far so good.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Wtf just happened to Big Papi?

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Really got into it with homeplate ump over balls and strikes – flipped out – assaulted clubhouse phone with a bat. Late strike call on a high 3-0 pitch AFTER he flipped the bat away got under his skin, then it went downhill from there. Lotta tension in Camden Yards tonight – had the feel of being perched on the edge of violence for a while now. Never ever seen Papi that mad about anything but beanballs.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Yeah, he seemed pretty heated. I haven’t been getting much sleep lately so I dozed off, but woke up in time to see Papi assault the clubhouse phone. I have never seen him so angry.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I’ve seen him that mad about beanballs only, never balls & strikes.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Papi thought Timmons was clowning him – honestly I think he felt disrespected. The comment thread on the post about it is … predictable and I will be avoiding it.

• indaburg - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I haven’t read it yet. Papi is one of my favorite players. I was surprised to see him react that way. I know I’ve been angry enough recently to that to a phone, but not over balls and strikes.

I’ll try to avoid that comment thread too. Good idea.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Oh well – you tried. ;)

• indaburg - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Sigh. Yeah. Didn’t last long. Good thing I don’t have a baseball bat handy. Us Dominicans have a bad temper.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:39 AM

And now there’s 2 of you that I know of who really hate phones for some reason. Puzzling.

Since the big yahoo merger there have been too many new bigots and idiots to bother with – I’ve just started to skate away when they show up.

• indaburg - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Fuck landlines. I mean, really.

Yeah. Yahoo merger. I’m having high school flashbacks. They don’t appreciate Craig like we do though. The Pixies, Batman, brandy, and nuanced analytical baseball. I avoid flame wars with the Yahoos or in general. What’s the point? I say what I think, and I’m done.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM

As a jock and known Irish hothead in high school I didn’t really suffer much from that particular sort of foolishness. As I imagine was also the case with ‘heyblue’ and a few other posters here, people who didn’t want to get hurt were smart enough to only talk shit about me behind my back.

• indaburg - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM

You? An Irish hothead? Say it ain’t so.

As for high school, it’s more the divisional clique thing that I’m talking about. The Us vs. Them mentality that seems to be developing on this message board. In high school, I was just your average tennis team/drama club nerd who loved baseball. Junior high was a different story. Gawd, junior high was hell on earth. Mean little fuckers.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Yeah sure – your average tennis/drama/baseball stat nerd female.

Wait, huh?

• indaburg - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Yeah, I still remember sitting at a table with the boys in home room poring over a copy of the Daily News’ sports section looking at the previous night’s box scores talking about what happened. Fun times.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I totally remember that girl from high school but she only existed in my head.

• indaburg - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Ah. She was in a high school in the Bronx.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Like 10-15 years later tho – ha

• indaburg - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Nah, I’m old. 41. Good genes. Thanks, dad. People thought he was 40 when he was 60.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

My God – I look old enough to be your father.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Btw I saw Papi play in AA – the Twins’ affiliate is 20 minutes away from the Stately Unk Manors. He and Michael Cuddyer both looked like they would never make it – so funny – they really hadn’t figured it out once. One night one of the guys I was with got into Cuddyer pretty bad about how he’d never make it and such – time to find a day job. Wouldn’t you know his parents were sitting right behind us. Awkward!

• indaburg - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM

That’s pretty funny that you mention those two. I know no one cares about anyone else’s fantasy teams, but both Papi and Cuddy are on mine. Well, Cuddy sure showed your friend. There are both raking points his year for me too.

I never razz players at games. I would never make it as a Philly phan. I cheer only. I’ll boo bad calls, or yell at a player to “Siddown!” like I yelled at Miggy when he got his panties in a snit over Nando’s brush back pitches. But that’s as negative as I get. I’ll lose my voice cheering though.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM

The last time I razzed a player was at a Red Sox AA game when one of our better-rated prospects gave himself up on the basepaths instead of trying to get caught in a pickle. Before I could control myself I yelled “the whole play was right in front of you – c’mon – stop, drop, roll, do SOMETHING!”

His scouting report had vague references to ‘lack of instincts’ and other such nonsense. He was traded shortly thereafter.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I expect a multi-game suspension.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Nearly very costly, but we held serve.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I meant on top of the standings. When I saw your response and read what I wrote, uh, yeah. Duh. Verbal enteritis. I have a penchant for saying dirty things, whether I mean it to or not. In this case, I didn’t. It’s a gift and a curse.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM

/looks innocent

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Edwin became the second Blue Jay to homer twice in an inning. The first was Joe Carter. He led off the inning with a solo home run into the Jays bullpen. His grand slam came with two out and a 3 & 2 count. Like the first homer, it was a line drive into the bullpen.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Yes, yes, y’all. Edwin was en fuego last night. A thing of beauty to behold. Not since Joe Carter have the Jays been so blessed. A miracle in the making? Small steps, one game at a time, and so on and so forth. But your team has won two in a row for the first time in like, forever, and a diet of Astros can do wonders for a team’s confidence level. If your boys could only get consistent starting pitching, like they’re capable of doing, you’d be battling for the top spot with your rhyming team. It’s really not too late, y’know. First, climb out of that cellar, and that entails making sure you switch places with the Borg, which brings me to…

Sabathia. I feel bad for Sabathia too. I could see the frustration in his face and by all accounts, he’s a great person. A humanitarian. It has to be tough for him, to not have the great stuff he once had. The loss of confidence on the place he once owned, the pitching mound. It makes me sad. I do not however feel an ounce of pity for the Borg. I love their misery and take great joy in it. If this makes me evil, then so be it. I’ve disliked this team since I was a wee child on my daddy’s lap and most of their fans have done little to dissuade me from my dislike. There are a few exceptions, a few of them among you. Just a few.

First place, y’all. And you don’t stop.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Go Rays Go!

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Thanks, PC. I’m rooting for your boys too. My job, which is in Dunedin, affords me the pleasure of having many Canadian patients. We get to talk a lot of baseball.

Do you ever get down around these parts?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Never been there although my parents went there a couple of years during spring training.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It’s a good time for the fans. You get access to the players you wouldn’t have at Rogers Centre. Not just during Spring Training but at the Trop too. Our lack of fans–which makes me sad–does have a positive side. It also means you get close to the players in a way you wouldn’t be able to in Toronto. It’s pretty cool. Come down. You’ll have a tour guide. :-) The beaches are pretty too, and after a long Canadian winter, I bet you could use a little sun.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

We definitely plan on getting down for Spring Training some year. For us it is basically a straight shot down I-95 although we’d likely fly to save on travel time. Since we have a timeshare down that way (DVC), it is definitely doable.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Now how the hell are our Canadian friends going to get any sun sitting in the Tropicana Tumulus? There are times when I’ve been stuck in there and looked up and wondered if the sky wasn’t fake too.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM

You see, when you’re watching a ball game and drinking copious amounts of beer at the Trop, you don’t have to worry about sunscreen or dehydration. You don’t have to worry about 1000000% humidity or getting struck by lightning in the Lightning Capital of the World. The tumulus’ umbrella protects you. You don’t even have to worry about the deafening roar of the crowd, because hey–what crowd? Except for that one loud little Dominicana. If you’re sitting near me, wear ear plugs, seriously. And thigh pads, because I tend to smack my neighbor when I get excited. Anyhow, no distractions. You just watch baseball.

Our Canadian friends will get their sun at our award winning beaches, like Fort De Soto (my favorite), Caladesi (a close second), Honeymoon Island, Madeira Beach, Clearwater Beach (too crowded, more for the party crowd), St. Pete Beach, Egmont Key, Sand Key, Siesta Key, Pass-A-Grille, Reddington, and so on… Those Canucks do like it here. We get loads of them. Speaking of sun, I need to get some m’self.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I’m gonna need a: “You were right, ‘philiac,” and some winks. Thank you.

/told ya so dance

I turned over to your game after enjoying our win (Svelte Delmon Young, Ladies and Gentlemen!). You were up 10-3….and then I got mad and I was pacing and cussing y’all. I really do apologize if your ears were burning, but dammit! I thought you were going to lose that effing beautiful big lead and they were knocking them in with bases loaded. I don’t think I can take your games. So, back to ours. Dog!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you to Leyland for not playing Inge 2.0 and great work & happy birthday, Benoit! Ahhhhhh.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Cardiac kids, my team. They like to make things interesting, don’t they. Damn Borg can’t go down easy, can they? Anytime you get Farnsy in a game, buckle your seatbelts. Although, it was Jamey Wright getting into the myocardial fun this time. This team should come with nitroglycerine.

You were right, ‘philiac. I am happy, HAPPY, HAPPY to eat crow. Although, it’s just a half game lead, and we’re playing a seriously depleted and decrepit Yankee team. It’s not like we’re playing the Cardinals or something.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

No winks? Sigh.

I don’t care how crappy the Yanks were last year in the playoff, that sweep felt GOOD. Enjoy it while it lasts. Go, O’s! he he

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

;-)

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Winning!

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Oh, yeah. Let’s go O’s!! ABBOY. (Anyone But Boston Or Yankees.)

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM

ABBOY! Do you think if they were 4 & 5 that OG would sit back on the porch w/ a cognac and hum “Sweet Caroline” to himself?

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I’m go with the cognac. Sweet Caroline? Naahhh…”Dire Wolf,” maybe….

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Funny, OG. That’s the name of my fantasy baseball team. The Direwolves.

Yum, cognac sounds good.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM

How ’bout the ultimate gloating song, OG?

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

How is it in this whole thread not a one of you mentioned “shaky Dickey”???? I feel completely let down.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Since you insist – any more than two shaky’s and you’re just playing with your Dickey.

• tellyspop - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Rays Back on Top

Where is your God now Unclemoses?

2. janessa31888 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM

The Bullpen Arsonists did it again,rapidly burning through a six -run lead. (Shakes fist angrily at Joe Smith and Rich Hill) Thankfully, Ryan Raburn saved the day with a walk -off home run in the eleventh inning.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Do you know how surreal it is for a Tigers fan to hear “Ryan Raburn saved the day”? Too weird.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

“Thankfully Miraculously, Ryan Raburn saved the day …”

FTFY

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Thankfully

FTFM

3. southofheaven81 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I was actually pretty impressed that C.C. was able to settle down after that brutal 2nd inning & work out of a no-out, bases loaded jam in the 3rd. Say what you will about his failing mechanics (and there’s plenty to say) but he’s still cool under pressure, at least.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM

You are an optimist. I admire that. Do you look at a glass filled part way with water and realize that it is always full? Half full of water, half full of air? You can’t possibly be a Yankees fan?

You’re right. I was pretty annoyed at the Rays for not putting the game away at that point, and I have to confess that I also felt a bit of grudging admiration for the struggling lefty, getting himself out of the bases loaded no out mess he created.

• southofheaven81 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Just saying, AJ Burnett in that same situation 2 years ago, the game is 12-0

• southofheaven81 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

10-0. Damn lack of an edit button!

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM

12-0 is probably closer, because AJ would have found a way to cough up a couple more runs.

4. pisano - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM

CC needs to be taken out of the rotation, he hasn’t been the same since his elbow surgery. David Phelps or Vidal Nuno, or someone else should replace him. His best place for now would be a long man in the bullpen. He immediately puts the Yankees in a hole by falling behind, and with their putrid offense they can’t catch up.

• uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

My friend, I agree that CC needs a rest a stint on the DL might do him and the Yankees a lot of good. He’s just not pitching very well right now and that’s being kind. I would like to say the game was a lot closer then the score would indicate but the truth be told the game wasn’t even remotely as close as the score would indicate.

5. jayscarpa - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Last year CC kept saying he felt fine and then had surgery in the off season. I would not be surprised if the Yankees quietly sent him for some pictures of that left arm. You don’t just forget how to pitch.

Also, his confidence is shot, you can hear it in the post game interviews. You’re not going to make it on confidence alone but you have to have it to be successful. The Yankees are in a tough spot with the big man. He’s a classy guy – I hope they figure it out.

6. jputignano - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

This is what the Yankees need to do… http://insidepitch247.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/sabathia-continues-to-struggle-yankees-lose-10-6/

• jwbiii - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Do you really think that the Yankees want to pick up Cliff Lee’s 2/$62.5M or 3/$77.5M contract? (He has a club/vesting option for 2016 which will vest if he stays healthy and effective.) Aren’t they trying to get under the salary cap for 2014?

Lee also has a not so limited NTC with a 21 team block list. I have no idea which teams are on that list, but his wife doesn’t like New York.

7. Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Oh boy, another terrific peetching performance by the Feesh, in this case Henderson Alvarez. This is really a first rate rotation on a fourth-rate chassis – kind the way O. C. Marsh stuck the wrong head on his Apatosaurus skeleton and called it Brontosaurus. Too terrestrial a metaphor for my Feesh? Okay. Put flippers instead of pillar pods on it and you have a Pleisiosaur with an Elasmosaur head, or vice versa, or something.

The Iron Giant bounced another Gravity’s Rainbow off the Clevelander sign. When he really learns to define his strike zone, lookout, world.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Mike is a very good hitter. How does Marisnick look?

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Well, he’s a very good hitter on occasion, but he’s very streaky. He’s having a seriously orf year, partially because injuries have twice derailed him but more because he’s still learning to discipline himself at the plate, still chasing low away pitches and so forth. He’ll learn, though.

Jake looks like he should be finishing the year in AAA and not up here. Yelich, despite his nice opening game, is also looking like he’s still a bit over his head. The Feesh are using the show as an experiment to beta-test next year’s talent. That’s mildly interesting from a fan point of view but not a great long term strategy for player development. They destroyed Andrew Miller that way. It’s what happens when your team belongs to a bloodsucking cheapskate.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I was surprised that Marisnick was called up. He is a fine prospect, but needs more seasoning in the minors. I see that Alvarez and Hechavarria both have the same BA.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM

British beef needs less seasoning than Marisnick.

8. APBA Guy - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM

That was better. Even with El Capitan not having his best stuff-or wisely pitching outside the zone to the top of the Angels order-he was able to keep the A’s confident of the win during his 6 IP. Williams location was horrible all night, middle-middle, and he paid for it, with lots of rockets off the A’s bats. Albert looks like his chronic plantar fasciitis is acting up again. The Angels have been playing Trumbo at first with mixed results, some good plays, some comical. Moss, who’s a talker, could be seen chatting him up after a particularly brutal booting, assuring him that the transition is harder than it looks. Moss would know, he was three-quarters of the way to second to field a Trout grounder, putting Bartolo in the position of racing Trout to first. Guess who won? Mental mistake by Moss, one he continues to make. But in the end it didn’t matter.

9. fukpittsburgh - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM

All those quarter pounders are finally sinking Captain Crunch Sabathia.

10. elgorditodehumboldt - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Where’s the Bartolo Colon PED talk? The dude could barely throw a few years back. He makes a nice comeback last year and gets busted for PED’s mid-season. According to the reports, he was also involved with Biogenesis. Now he is having arguably the best season of his career at age 40. Dunno, but it seems awfully fishy to me.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win