Jul 27, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: No word on the results of the MRI exam, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Jack Curry of YES Network that Hafner is headed to the disabled list.
12:01 PM: Travis Hafner has really scuffled for a couple of months now and it comes as no surprise that his health could be a big reason for that. According to Kieran Darcy of ESPN New York, Hafner has a sore shoulder and is scheduled to undergo an MRI.
Hafner complained of right shoulder soreness back in mid-May and received a cortisone shot. The 36-year-old previously had right shoulder surgery in 2008 and missed time in 2009 and 2010 due to soreness.
While Hafner batted .318 with six homers and a 1.104 OPS in April, he’s hitting just .167 with six homers and a .535 OPS in 59 games since the start of May. Even if he avoids a stint on the disabled list, his playing time figures to diminish once Curtis Granderson comes off the disabled list, as the newly-acquired Alfonso Soriano figures to get most of the at-bats out of the DH spot.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 44
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 73
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)