Travis Hafner headed to disabled list with shoulder injury

Jul 27, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT

Travis Hafner Getty Getty Images

UPDATE: No word on the results of the MRI exam, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Jack Curry of YES Network that Hafner is headed to the disabled list.

12:01 PM: Travis Hafner has really scuffled for a couple of months now and it comes as no surprise that his health could be a big reason for that. According to Kieran Darcy of ESPN New York, Hafner has a sore shoulder and is scheduled to undergo an MRI.

Hafner complained of right shoulder soreness back in mid-May and received a cortisone shot. The 36-year-old previously had right shoulder surgery in 2008 and missed time in 2009 and 2010 due to soreness.

While Hafner batted .318 with six homers and a 1.104 OPS in April, he’s hitting just .167 with six homers and a .535 OPS in 59 games since the start of May. Even if he avoids a stint on the disabled list, his playing time figures to diminish once Curtis Granderson comes off the disabled list, as the newly-acquired Alfonso Soriano figures to get most of the at-bats out of the DH spot.

1. garryfish - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM

They needed someone to go to activate Jeter

2. southofheaven81 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

The Yankees currently need a 2nd baseman & right fielder on the DL to have an entire starting lineup there.

1: Pineda
    2: Cervelli
    3. Tex
    4. ?
    5. Youkalis (we’ll put A-Rod at DH for this experiment)
    6: Jeter
    7: Almonte
    8: Granderson
    9: ?

That’s a pretty impressive lineup, isn’t it?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

As usual, a fine take.

Good work, and, may the angel of death protect you always.

• pisano - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM

southofheaven81….. aka, The grim reaper,

• jayscarpa - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Play Nix at 2B

• jayscarpa - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Or play Nix in the OF and Cruz at 2B

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

5 out of the last 8 stories have been about the Yankees. That is a .625 BA. What a magnificent team effort!

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM

That’ll go up, PC. We are overdue for another A-Rod installment (or three).

• twenty1miles - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Would you rather HBT talk about the last place, 13.5 games behind Blue Jays? The team I would presume you are a fan of.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Why not? They are just as relevant to the AL East race at the moment as the 4th place, 7 games behind Yankees are.

• twenty1miles - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM

@nbjays

That’s quite a stretch. Regardless of the standings the article is about an injury, and canadian here feels the need to complain about too many Yankee posts. Should I tell Travis Hafner not to get injured next time so we don’t have to deal with a Yankee article?

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM

“and canadian here feels the need to complain about too many Yankee posts.”

That wasn’t a complaint, it was sarcasm. Sorry if you missed that.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

deal with it, nobody cares about the bluejays that is a fact

• cur68 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM

You do. You never fail to comment on either a post or one of PCs comments. So, unless you are claiming to be a nobody, (and you might be since how good could a poo flinging chimps self esteem be anyways?) then you are quite wrong. As usual.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Yep, harry cares the most about the Blue Jays because he posts the most about them. The only way he’ll ever convince me he doesn’t care about the Jays is the day he completely ignores them (such as during their big win streak, when he was extremely conspicuous by his absence). Otherwise, I will continue to assume that the Jays are his raison d’etre.

4. pisano - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM

It’s time for him to move on, he’s a strikeout waiting to happen.

• jwbiii - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Right. The Yankees just traded for to Soriano to take that role.

5. nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Stick a fork in Pronk… he’s done.

The 2013 New York Yankess… where one-time good hitters go to die.

• uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My friend Hafner died in Cleveland last year. He came to NY to revitalize his career it just wasn’t to be.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM

It worked for a month, kinda like Wells. Not the revitalization he’d hoped for.

• Kevin Gillman - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Hafner died in Cleveland last year? Dude, his career was done in 2008, and I am a Hafner fan. It’s hard for me to admit that.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Wanna talk about what has become known as the 2013 Toronto train wreck? You have no room to talk about anything, your team will go down as the biggest bust ever in MLB history! How many fools picked the jays to win the East and get into the postseason? Too many for me to count, nobody picked the Yanks to do anything better then 3rd

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM

“nobody picked the Yanks to do anything better then 3rd”

Nobody except every Yankee fan on this board including you… especially when they were vastly overachieving early in the season. I’m not saying the Jays are going to win, I’m just revelling in the glory of the Yankees missing the postseason, much to the chagrin of trolls like you.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I never made such a prediction, I saw a winning record and maybe a outside shot at the 2nd wild card but that was about it. One thing I did see was there was noway in hell the jays were going to do squat with that roster and I was 100% correct there as usual

6. uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Hafner signed for $2MM guaranteed with another $4MM in PA incentives. As of today Hafner has only earned $1.125MM of that $4MM in incentives.

• pisano - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM

My friend… hopefully the incentives stops right here, and he’s done for the year, this guy wasn’t worth the 2 mil, but the Yankees didn’t feel that way when they signed him. The guy is totally lost at the plate.

7. buffalo65 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Another old broken down yank. Great team 10 years ago.

• uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM

That still has a better record then 17 of the other MLB teams, even with all their injuries.

8. uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM

A lot of comments from the “peanut gallery” here. Some of those fans might want to look inward at their own teams under performing players.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I know that it is too much to expect that it might teach some of those normally self-important and frequently insufferable Borg fans a bit of humility and empathy, but one can only hope.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM

every team is going to have a down season that is a fact and this nonsense you write about teaching somebody humility and empathy? Spare me, the Yanks had their down years in the mid 80′s to the early 90′s so you aint teaching squat. Now go back to your hockey and go get your shinebox!!

• bigharold - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

“Yes, but a lot of those fans in the “peanut gallery” are used to having their teams down in the standings and are only too happy to see the Yankee fans having to endure the same thing for a change.”

Yeah but schadenfreude only goes so far and the Yankee still have a chance to make the playoffs.
        “.. it might teach some of those normally self-important and frequently insufferable Borg fans a bit of humility and empathy, ‘

Not likely the Jays ineptitude clearly hasn’t thought you anything.

• uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

nbjays, so if I understand you correctly. Your rational for the comments be it from you or someone else is basically a “tit for tat” type of thing. Not very grown up my friend. You should strive to be better then them and not equal to them or sink to their level. That’s just my opinion.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM

uyf, the only one I am really “tit-for-tatting” on here is harry… simply because his infantile hater attitude deserves it.

I have nothing bad to say about you and bigharold (and a couple of others on here); you guys are intelligent enough posters that you won’t normally go all “Yankee superiority” or “Blue Jays suck” on every damn post you make. You will, and frequently do, go out of your way to actually make a positive comment about someone else’s team when they do well, something harry would never do (I suspect he’d rather . I don’t hate the Yankee players (save A-Rod), and actually feel sorry for most of them for the way this season is playing out, but as a fan of a divisional rival, I can’t feel sorry for the organization as a whole, the NY sports media or especially those fans who wear their entitlement like a badge and make a point to be obnoxious. Anytime some self-righteous Yankee fan starts spouting off about the 5th place Jays, I will not-so-subtly remind them that the Yanks are not doing much better.

Yes, it is true the Yankees still have a chance to make the postseason (technically, teams have come back from even worse than where the Jays are at the moment), but right now they are heading in the wrong direction and both our teams are up against 3 division rivals who are healthier and playing much better, so I think it is a long shot. In other words, I applaud your optimism but I still hope you are wrong :-)

And harry… the Yankee “down years” in the 80s and 90s might have tried to teach their fans humility and empathy, but most of the students simply refused to learn the lesson.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

“You should strive to be better then them and not equal to them or sink to their level.”

I only do it to ‘harry because of his superior “know-it-all” attitude (see his brilliant work in the Encarnacion thread) and his juvenile hater tendencies. Truth be told, I’d rather just ignore him, because he is such an insufferable pain in the ass on every Blue Jay thread or on any post PC, Cur or myself make. However, HBT doesn’t have an “ignore” feature, so I indulge myself.

Honestly, I’d just prefer nice peaceful, intelligent baseball discourse or light-hearted banter with like-minded posters (leavened with a healthy dose of humour), but Harry and his puerile vituperative Jays-hating rants make that nigh on impossible.

• uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

nbjays, point made and understood. Try and understand I’m the type of fan that would prefer that fans not throw all fans into the “sausage maker” so to speak when they have a comment that they really mean to address to one or two fans. I realize in many cases it’s unintentional but since no one really knows anyone here it’s kind of hard to differentiate if a poster is trying to single out one poster or all fans of that team. Have a good day.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Thanks, man. You too.

9. insidefastball - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I just don’t understand why they let Ibanez walk for this guy. Raul is never hurt and he is a lock to hit around 20 HR every year. The Yanks really miss the extra pop he could have provided with so many other guys hurt this year. I think the M’s are only paying him $2.75 million this year. So, it is not like money was an issue.

• pisano - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM

insidefastball…. the way I heard it was he wanted to go back to Seattle, all things being equal, Seattle was his first choice. I know it sounds strange.

10. buffalo65 - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM

If I were a yank fan I’d be a whinny baby like Harry too. Terrible, old team. How many bluejay retreads have they got now??

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM

If I was a pathetic loser bluejay fan like yourself id find a nice long rope, a nice tall tree and hang myself. (hint hint)

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet