Jul 27, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: No word on the results of the MRI exam, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Jack Curry of YES Network that Hafner is headed to the disabled list.
12:01 PM: Travis Hafner has really scuffled for a couple of months now and it comes as no surprise that his health could be a big reason for that. According to Kieran Darcy of ESPN New York, Hafner has a sore shoulder and is scheduled to undergo an MRI.
Hafner complained of right shoulder soreness back in mid-May and received a cortisone shot. The 36-year-old previously had right shoulder surgery in 2008 and missed time in 2009 and 2010 due to soreness.
While Hafner batted .318 with six homers and a 1.104 OPS in April, he’s hitting just .167 with six homers and a .535 OPS in 59 games since the start of May. Even if he avoids a stint on the disabled list, his playing time figures to diminish once Curtis Granderson comes off the disabled list, as the newly-acquired Alfonso Soriano figures to get most of the at-bats out of the DH spot.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 2
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)