Jul 27, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: No word on the results of the MRI exam, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Jack Curry of YES Network that Hafner is headed to the disabled list.
12:01 PM: Travis Hafner has really scuffled for a couple of months now and it comes as no surprise that his health could be a big reason for that. According to Kieran Darcy of ESPN New York, Hafner has a sore shoulder and is scheduled to undergo an MRI.
Hafner complained of right shoulder soreness back in mid-May and received a cortisone shot. The 36-year-old previously had right shoulder surgery in 2008 and missed time in 2009 and 2010 due to soreness.
While Hafner batted .318 with six homers and a 1.104 OPS in April, he’s hitting just .167 with six homers and a .535 OPS in 59 games since the start of May. Even if he avoids a stint on the disabled list, his playing time figures to diminish once Curtis Granderson comes off the disabled list, as the newly-acquired Alfonso Soriano figures to get most of the at-bats out of the DH spot.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)