Tyler Clippard says the Nationals have handled Drew Storen “very poorly”

Jul 27, 2013, 9:45 AM EST

Drew Storen AP AP

Drew Storen was demoted to Triple-A Syracuse after yesterday’s doubleheader against the Mets. It’s a dramatic fall from grace for someone who looked like one of the best young relievers in the game just two years ago. Coming off his implosion during the NLDS last October against the Cardinals, Storen owns a 5.95 ERA through 47 appearances this season.

While sending Storen down to the minors is probably the best thing for him at this point, fellow reliever Tyler Clippard had some critical words for the organizational after the game, telling Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com that signing Rafael Soriano over the winter sent the wrong message.

“I think there’s a lot of things that led to this that could’ve been prevented,” Clippard said, holding back tears at one point. “You know, you basically send a guy a message this offseason, for having one bad game, that he’s not the guy for the job. He’s only human. I mean, it’s going to get to anybody. …

“I can understand, you know, after the devastation that happened last year, maybe trying to make a change and say: ‘Hey, we’re going to bring in somebody that we think can get it done in that big situation,” Clippard added. “It’s just the wrong message to send, I think. But at the end of the day, that’s what happened and that’s where we’re at. It’s up to me, it’s up to Drew, it’s up to everyone in this locker room to pick ourselves up and move forward.”

“It’s one of those things that I think was handled very poorly by the organization. But at the same time, that’s the decision that was made and we have to move forward as a team. We have great guys in this locker room that are going to get it done. We’re going to make a playoff push at the end of the season, I have no doubt about that. But this is a tough day.”

Ouch. It should be stated that Clippard is Storen’s best friend on the team, so the emotional reaction is understandable. And we shouldn’t judge him too much for that. Reporters asked him what he thought right after the move happened, so he gave an honest and raw reaction.

On paper, the addition of Soriano improved a strength, but it has clearly had some unintended consequences. Storen is a mess right now, either because of the uncertainty of pitching in a set-up role or because he hasn’t gotten over what happened last October. Or most likely, some combination of the two. Hopefully taking him out of the spotlight for a while can get his career back on track.

129 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. natslady - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM

People wonder why I don’t post more here. I have my own blog now, and also I post on Nats Insider. If you are THAT interested in my take on matters Nats (including this one), I point you to those resources.

• Uncle Charlie - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Can posts be deleted on here?

• bigkniht37 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

nobody is wondering that…and nobody cares about your take on the Nats, hence why we are here on HBT. stop promoting yourself.

• natslady - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Two people asked about me yesterday, I just caught up on reading those posts, it seemed foolish to reply to old threads. Have a nice day.

• bigkniht37 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

oh man sound the alarm. TWO PEOPLE!?!?!?! i think judging by the down votes you’re receiving, you aren’t missed around here. go put your pink hat on and ride off into obscurity. have a nice day

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

bigdummy, no one buys the thumbs here – we have thumb harpies who manipulate multiple accounts and everyone with half a brain here knows it.

Anyway, natslady has been around here for years making useful comments and keeping us all up with her team. And you? Just dropping in on occasion to spread troll droppings? Otherwise, you’re of no use to this site whatsoever. Isn’t someone missing you at Yahoo blogs?

• stoutfiles - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM

People asked about you because you loved to talk up the Nats when they’re doing good, but when they’re bad you run away like a coward, and then only pop in to announce how much better you are than everyone for leaving. Good riddance.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Another crock of shit. She’s just told you she’s not here much because she has her own blog now. That’s hardly “running away.” And hey – are we accusing a fan of talking up her team? Wow. That’s borderline criminal, isn’t it? Imbecile.

• stoutfiles - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Because posting on daily Nat articles takes what…five minutes? She’s not here because the Nats suck this year, and she doesn’t want to be called out for all the grandstanding she did last year. Talk up your team if you like, but be prepared to get blasted when they suck. Hence why the majority of Philly fans have since disappeared.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM

( Pssst, major Phillies fan. Still here, every day. )

Also, you may want to look at the activity on the next “trolling” the Phillies post CC puts up.

We at least read this blog, just not so many comment.

Lastly, do we see an overflow of posters from Royals fans? Marlins fans? Astros fans? Hell, Braves fans. See how that works?

• stoutfiles - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I didnt say all the Philly fans left, but they dominated this place a few years ago.

And that’s still fine, but if you talk up your team when they’re riding high, you have to be prepared to take some crap, and natslady left for that reason. She’s a coward and no one will miss her (except for Old Gator, but his posts all over this thread show he’s lost his mind).

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

You can stretch what little imagination you have to explain what’s cowardly about setting up your own blog. It actually takes a lot of work and attention – and it exposes you to at least as much, if not more, attention and criticism. You’re talking through your asshole.

Moreover, she was on here years back before the Gnats were real contenders. Yeah, she talked them up – that’s called a FAN, you know? And she also knew what she was talking about, which is clearly more than can be said for you.

Yes, I’m on this thread a lot, because I don’t like to see dumbshits like you piling on a perfectly nice, smart, enthusiastic lady with your straw men, ignorant accusations, sweeping declarations about what “everybody” and “nobody” thinks as if you were entitled to speak for the rest of us and your truly cowardly multiple thumbs down shenanigans.

Or perhaps you’d rather just have her to kick around and nobody stick up for her? You want to tell me what you mean by “cowardly” again?

• blabidibla - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Odd, I haven’t seen anyone wonder that at all.

• natslady - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Yes, they have. A couple of the “nice” people, and a few seeming to imply that my absence was due to cowardice or not being able to “take it” because of the Nats record. Well, I’m still around and I’m still a Nats fan. I’m just not here much, and I gave the reason why. Have a nice day.

• dondada10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I’ll admit that I was wondering where Natslady has been. But I’m a big follower of the NL East. It’s my shit.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I was wondering where she went too. And I always enjoy her posts. They’re insightful and sincere. You folks who just teed off on her for next to no reason need to pull the bananas out of your asses and stop insulting your betters.

• 18thstreet - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I’ve wondered a little. It wasn’t keeping me up night or anything.

Anyone who has anything perceptive to say is welcome here, as far as I’m concerned.

• fearlessleader - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

No need to be nasty, pandaaa69 et al. For the record, though I hadn’t posted as much, I *was* wondering where natslady went….

• thebadguyswon - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ah…butthurt, huh?

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Hey pandaa, why not go crawl back under your trailer with the rest of the lowlives? And learn to write a coherent English sentence while you’re at it, illiterate gutter jackass and loudmouth that you are.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Hey Panda, do you own this joint? No? Then keep that low brow circle jerk crap to yourself. Natslady, I enjoy your contributions here, even when I poke fun at them. :-)

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM

/sips coffee and scans HBT

Sheesus, I slept through a circle jerk???? Dang. The one morning I sleep in really late after getting home in the wee hours.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Go back to sleep, Histy. The cretins and their first cousins, the thumb harpies, are out in force today, kinda like the vampires at the end of Salem’s Lot.

I trust that Gnatslady has shaken off the mindless posts about her secure in the knowledge that they’re being written by morons.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I hope you don’t give up on us altogether here though. :(

• recoveringcubsfan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Thank you, I WAS wondering about your whereabouts lately. Nats posts haven’t been the same without you.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Natslady. I had no idea you had a blog but I do remember many of your posts would typically have a certain tone to them over the last couple years. I’m not the type to have take shots at people on blogs so I never said anything. But I think your post above relieves me of any guilt I would have about insulting you.

To put it simply, get over yourself. You’re a fan. You’re not an “insider” and you need to realize that. People get used to seeing comments from certain posters who they always see commenting about certain teams. They may be curious if that everyday poster is suddenly gone, but that’s it. Nobody really cares where you are or what you are doing.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Ah, yet another asshole chiming in to let us know what we’re all not interested in hearing. I have to laugh when a moron like you comes on here, accuses someone else of “a certain attitude” they conveniently don’t bother to define, and then proceeds to speak for everyone else – whose opinion, also typical of runaway egotism, just happens to coincide exactly with their own.

Let me see if I can flesh out for you what your “certain attitude” entailed (since you felt entitled to speak for me, pardon my claiming the same privileges of you): a solid knowledgeability about her favorite team which was the result of careful attention to how they were playing and as thorough an awareness of organizational and clubhouse affairs as she could reasonably have been expected to glean from paying close attention to other blogs, radio conversations, newspaper articles and what not? Oh dear. I don’t ever recall her claiming to be an insider – you just barfed up that straw man to dilate your waste of space of a post.

And speaking solely for myself, I couldn’t give a rat’s ass what you think.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Old Gator. You don’t know me at all. I did just read your posts and it’s amazing that you can have such rage over people finding the posts from Natslady to be smug and saying it yet you have no problem calling everybody names such as gutter trash and assholes, etc.

Can I ask you something? Who made you ‘Mayor” of this blog to the point that you feel you need to define who has a right to post here or who’s posts are more meaningful? You are simply yet another blog lifer who becomes self-important and feels he has the right to decide who “belongs” or who is “one of us”.

You typically have to go to a personal computing blog to find such useless arrogance. You need to go over your own insulting posts. You’re not holding the moral or intellectual high ground, although you apparently think you are.

I have found Natslady to be smug and arrogant many times and I felt like responding to her original post. I didn’t fly into a rage emptying out the dictionary with insults as you did on everyone who has a different opinion than you on this topic.

But then again, I’m just another “asshole chiming in”. How about this Old Gator. I won’t speak for everyone here as you accused me of doing and how about you stop pretending anyone here needs your seal of approval as to the worthiness of their posts or to just being here in the first place? Deal?

Ohh…and speaking solely for myself, I obviously dont care whether you give a rats ass what I think or else I wouldn’t have posted my original comment. Again, believe it or not, many of us here are not looking for or needing your approval, as important as you are…..

• xmatt0926x - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM

And Old Gator, some may feel your opinion that you need to approve of people’s time on the blog or the importance of their posts to be runaway egotism. Just my opinion.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I’m not the one who declared that “nobody” cared what Natslady thought, am I? And parroting my own words back to me is just a further indication of your own lack of imagination and/or substance – guess you can’t come up with any comments of your own. Not surprising. Moron.

• paperlions - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I wasn’t going to chime in, but OG is being such a dick and thinks his opinion on this issue is very important…which made me realize that my opinion also must be very important.

I never found her posts to be insightful in terms of baseball in any way shape or form. Maybe some people did, I just wasn’t one of them.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You’re also a major dick, Paper. Don’t forget to plug that into your SBM.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

paper, I call bullshit. You always think your opinion is important. And, I’m guessing your comment means you don’t care for mine either. Have a nice day.

Why did everyone put on their crankypants today? Perhaps all y’all could use a little time w/ dondada as your pilot. Sheesh.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM

As I have already mentioned, I have found many of Natslady’s posts over the last couple years to be smug and arrogant and I think there are several people who share that opinion. I also felt her post above was more of the same. That’s why I commented.

As to Oldgator, yes, I have no substance or imagination in defending myself. The reason is that I have no need to TRY to show what “substance” I have by spewing useless dialogue using the whole of the dictionary in an effort to show how sophisticared, educated, or “differen’t” I must be.Not that any present company here do that, right Old Gator?

I also don’t feel the need to agree with anyone consistently or kiss their ass or state an opinion that I know to be agreeable to those people in order to become one of the beloved insiders who feel they can determine who belongs or who’s opinions are more valuable then the others.

I also don’t feel the need to prove my substance by taking the high ground and saying people are from the gutter or lowlives. Yes my friends, that’s substance (along with the daily irrelevant spewings that have nothing to do with the actual baseball post to show my substance).

Bottom line Gator, It’s nice that NatsLady is your HBT friend along with a few other of your insiders here. Unfortunately I and many others will continue to post our opinions whether you and your special group approve or not.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Hopefully, that will be as infrequently as it has been in the past. You’re more confused that a stringball in a kitten’s corner. You come on here to add, gratuitously, to the bullying of natslady and then you get insulted at being called out for the schlub that you are? You come on here to tell her to get lost, and then get insulted when you get told to get lost yourself? You’re wrong about one thing: I do know you. You’re just another schmuck with nothing constructive to add to this blog, and a happy penchant to join in on the bullying when you have a bunch of like minded schlubs around you to set your example for you.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

We’re a special group? Can we apply for public funds?

( btw Matt, if you really look closely for long enough, you will see those of us who have been here a while disagree on all kinds of things. We’re not some kind of ” The Hills Have Eyes” family. But if you’re a little less judgemental and douchey, you can learn an awful bunch of stuff about this country, and Canada in a couple of cases, that you would have never known otherwise)

So it’s your choice, freedom of speech. I wish there were more ladies actively participating here. Hey bring a great perspective to certain stories.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Good Lord. Have a good day Old Gator.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Heyblu, I’m judgemental and douchey but let me guess, Old Gator is just defending someone’s honor with his name calling and rants, correct? That’s all good, correct? Because after all he’s one of your buddies on here. Then you keep saying “we” and continue to prove my whole point about the “holier than thou, you’re not one of us” attitude.

Old Gator can defend himself and argue for himself. Seriously, I don’t know you and don’t want to argue with you and all of this has really been an embarrassing mess for all. Why don’t we just walk away, ok?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I’m not defending Gator, frame the argument. You took a cheap shot at Natslady, and I disagree with how you went about it.

But if you think me and Gator agree and defend each other, I *know* you don’t frequent the comments section here.

But Gator can answer to that if he wants. This whole thing just want all Dr. Who.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM

LMAO at this entire exchange

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I’m not your buddy, guy. Take that.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I’m not your guy, friend

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Psst, notmybuddyguy, you should watch Heathers again to remind yourself how it ends for you.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Unrealistic and cheesy?

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

My bad. I thought you were going Slateresque but apparently that’s too edgy. Have a nice day.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Does Slater have a single character that it wouldn’t be insulting to be compared to?

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I think you’re halfway to my point. Keep working.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Too much work to reach a point I really don’t care that much about.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM

And you did not disappoint.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM

So you’re not going to get out drama queened by Nats lady are you?

Seems like it

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Get confused and play the sexism angle? bahahahahaha Awesome.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

When the shoe fits, coincidentally it seems to fit for Old Gator as well.

Do you always cry sexism when valid points are made?

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

This bad actor who plays every role the exact same

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Who’s Slater?

• vivabear - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Who’s Slater? Christian Slater, you fucking moron.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Thanks, Vivabore. Nice to see you back here behaving like your dimwitted old self.

• 18thstreet - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM

“Kids, kids. As far as I’m concerned, you’re both potential murderers.”
        — Homer Simpson

• Reflex - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Um, why all the outrage? What did I wander into today? I like natslady just fine. I have missed her posts and I’ve missed irritating her with talk of inverted W’s and Strasburg. She’s a fan, and one of the more reasonable ones.

Also, why are Paper, OG and others fighting each other? What did I miss? I’m so confused…

Cheer up already, its Saturday, the work week is over, and for those of us with reasonable jobs, we can now watch baseball. Something I was told to do just yesterday by someone important.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Wow. I was wondering the same thing Reflex. A serious shit storm it appears.
        As Philiac stated…
        “Crankypants” seem to abound (or did a couple of days ago).

Personally, I like Natslady’s posts as well. I think she brings something to the table in her own way (much like we all do).
        Anywho….to change the subject:
        Glad to see you back! Where you been?

• Reflex - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Been posting for the past week or so, apparently I’m dating Philiac now, which is totally awesome. She added a west coast boyfriend finally. ;)

Work has been killing me, I detailed that in another thread, and I was pretty sick for a couple weeks, so yeah. I’m around, mostly just reading but posting when I have the time.

Oddly enough, I do read most of the comments, so I don’t really feel that out of it when it comes to the community here, even if I haven’t been posting anything.

2. flamethrower101 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Next we’ll hear about how the Nats have suspended Clippard without pay for “conduct detrimental to the team.” This season has been a disaster for the Nats and it amazes me that they’re still relatively in it.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM

It’s a weak division and they’re lucky to be playing in it. I’d be very surprised to see them turn it around.

3. kvanhorn87 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Where did all Natitude go? Remember those claims as next dynasty for 10 years. Save Strasberg for the next 10 straight division titles!

• recoveringcubsfan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Gee, you seem like you lost an argument in a bar once and never got over it. Here’s a tip: exaggeration just makes you look like an idiot. Also, the Nats still have fans, the only people to whom “Nattitude” matters, so your question is also dumb.

4. babyfarkmcgeezax - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Natslady is a legend in her own mind

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Hardly. She’s been here since about the time this blog started up, has been making valuable contributions to it ever since, and you’re a nobody in anyone’s mind.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Rare moment, I agree with you 10000000000 % Gator

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Thanks. It’s funny how these morons who were never around before, or never contributed anything of substance here, just show up long enough to act insulted that one of our founding correspondents has set up her own blog and wants us to know about it. Bunch of useless assclowns.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Wait, Gator, I thought you were just lecturing somebody else for supposedly trying to “speak for everybody else”… and here you go and do it yourself. As much as you like to think you are some sort of “mayor” of these comment sections (see xmatt’s post above), the truth is you are nothing more than a self-important douchebag, a self-appointed blog comment policeman on a weird power trip in which you hilariously think people actually give a shit whether or not some random, anonymous Internet jackass deems their comments satisfactory to his own liking. Do you do anything other than sit at your computer all day on Hardballtalk worrying about what others say about you and your other self-important friends like Natslady? Your constant and desperate brown nosing of Craig Calcaterra is also pathetic, and just adds to the pathetic nature of how you view yourself compared to how you are viewed in reality.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Craig and I have had our differences, as anyone not as blinkered as you are well knows. As I said above, I’m just here to keep decrebrates like you from bullying someone who’s contributed far, far more to this site than you have, and done it well and thoughtfully most of the time. You’re just another member of today’s unfortunate crew of jackals who, whether it’s because you don’t like the Gnats or just like to run with other jackals like yourself, thought it was a safe zone for piling on natslady. And your lame, juvenile ploy that I somehow “spoke for everyone myself” – how or where, of course, you don’t point out – is typical of jerks like you who need to construct a phony target just because you can’t make a comment about anyone or anything with any real substance to it.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM

LMAO @ people thinking being here a long time making earns them HBT cred.
        LMAO even more that some people think that cred is meaningful in some sad way.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Sorry that you don’t think that being part of an online community for any length of time matters. Aside from which, it’s not just that she’s been here – it’s that she’s been a valuable part of that community, whether you want to admit it or not. Not every team has an enthusiastic representative on here. Except for those of us who are directly involved in sports in some way, we wouldn’t have much time to keep up with teams outside our markets or divisions if fans like natslady weren’t around to fill us in on what was going on. These people – even, Buddha help us, the Feelies fans, help keep this site interesting and informative.

Unlike those who just chime in here when they think they’ve found themselves a convenient victim or scapegoat – a species sadly in rich regalia here this afternoon.

If you think it’s all so meaningless, what are you doing here?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Nail on the head, Gator. As an alternative to ESPN, this blog allows me to catch up on the rest of the league and provoke thought.

And yes, those of us who have been here for a while, called each other all kinds of things etc etc…. Well, we feel like part of a group. Natural human thing, by the way. Humans are pack animals in case you weren’t aware.

All some of us ask, is to be funny, or informative, or something positive, rather than being a troll.

Oh, the holier than thou thing is a bad look for anyone.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I’m going out to see Pacific Rim now.

It just seems like the logical thing to do after a thread like this.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Baby, I save this one for rare occasions:

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Hydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid, so stupid it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Lol! That’s a whoooole lota’ stupid Blue.
        No really. I mean it. That’s a shit pot full of stupid.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM

That’s because, despite the differences those of us who have been around for a while, two things are to be noted:

1) we’re probably smarter than them, they’d be out of their league come rational debate time.

2) See my example directly below. If it’s gonna get nasty, we’d, even Harold, bludgeon them.

They have no choice hit to click a thumb. What are they going to do, grow a spine?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Eh, turns out it was directly above.

Viva la Xanax.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Could you pass some of that out, please. Geez.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Sure, you take my cluster headaches, I’ll hand out my meds. I’ll even take Don Kelly in return, deal? ;-)

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

And my above rant is not mine, but it’s part of one from a smart friend of mine that as a whole is one of the greatest things I’ve ever read.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

No deal. You’re gonna need that more than me. Cabrera & Hunter are both back in the lineup. His Heterochromianess, y’all!

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Nope, I have a feeling this is a “pop a pill, pour a glass, on demand, here we go” kind of night.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM

BTB, if I act stupid will you call me baby too. he he

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

How about just “babe” ?

/ Puts on body armor.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I guess that means I get to be Cher. What’s with the Comic-Con dress up?

/eats popcorn

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Comi-con chicks, hot nerds. Need I say more?

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM

So you’re breaking up with me then. :( Enjoy your anime girl.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Well, you can always try a relationship with paperdouchebag. As long a you duct tape his mouth, of course.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Gentlemen, really. sigh

5. razorbyrd - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I said it when they signed him, and I’ll say it again, bringing in Soriano was a big mistake… the Nats had one of the best bullpens in the league, and the addition of Soriano totally blew up the chemistry…

The Nats need to admit they made a mistake and trade Soriano to a contender, eat the salary, let Storen get his form back, recall him in September, and get ready for a better season in 2014…

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Now just how did Soriano blow up the chemistry? Storen lost his focus this season. He had already tanked when it mattered most in the playoffs, four months before Soriano even showed up for pitchers and catchers. This season his line is 2-2, 25 saves, 3.12 ERA, 11/32 BB/K and 1.27 WHIP. That’s some saboteur you got there.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Gutless thumb harpies again, but no answers. The usual.

• razorbyrd - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Clippard & Storen were a great set up/save duo, you don’t blow that up because of one bad inning by Storen… in my opinion, it rattled his confidence and must have made him question his role on the team…

• stoutfiles - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You really should just stop, you’re destroying what credibility you had by declaring yourself better than everyone here all over this thread. This is becoming a sad meltdown.

• stoutfiles - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Edit: That was to Old Gator, not razor. razor, you pretty much nailed the chemistry problems on this team.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I’ve hardly declared myself better than everyone – just another translucent straw man in a long day of translucent straw men being paraded around here for pointless immolation. But yeah, I damned well do feel superior to the wolfpack of self-aggrandizing cyberbullies who came on here to pile on natslady today, you included.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Oh and speaking of meltdowns, I can’t get a rational answer out of razor but perhaps despite all appearances we can pry one out of you: how, precisely, did the arrival of Soriano affect team chemistry? Did his presence distract all the Gnats batters who can’t seem to drive in a run for love or money? Did his signing destroy the confidence of Drew Storen way back to the last playoff game months before he was even signed? Did he yell “Hey Bryce!” just before Harper ran into that outfield wall? You got anything in the way of analysis or explanation? Anything?

• razorbyrd - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM

how am I declaring myself better than everyone by saying that I didn’t like the Soriano signing from the beginning?! All I’m saying is I didn’t like it then, and I still don’t like it now…

6. notsofast10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I was wondering, has anybody seen or heard from Natslady lately. I really miss her input and wish she would post more often. I really feel her input is a valuable addition to this forum.

7. Kevin Gillman - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I think the Nats as an organzation is getting humbled. Sure, we can say injuries have affected this team, but bottom line, this organization believed they would win this division easily, and in doing so they are set for a dynasty run, thus taking Strasburg out in August last season was the right thing to do. However, if you get to the playoffs, there is never, and I stress NEVER a guarantee you make it to the dance again. You do what you can to get there, and put your best team out there. They had so many opportunities to skip Strasburg’s starts last season, and now look at where they are.

Now, having said that, they can make another run in them, they can make a playoff push, and who knows they might go to the WS, since any team has a chance after they just reach the playoffs, but I am saying the chances of that happening are probably 22%. But they must get to .500, and stay there first for that to happen.

• jwbiii - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM

BPro has them at 4.1%.
      Cool Standings has them at 3.6%.

• Kevin Gillman - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM

LOL…Okay, I was trying to be nice about it, but I like those odds better.

8. jb8588 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I couldnt agree more with Clip on this one…it’s exactly the feeling I had when the Nats signed Soriano and pretty much handed him the closers job this offseason. If Brad Lidge could recover after his shell shock against Pujols back in the day, then I sure couldn’t see why Storen couldn’t recover the sane way. The Nats front office are clueless.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM

That’s assuming you think Soriano is the reason for Storen’s problems this season. It’s hard to support that, especially considering how so little run support would have put plenty of pressure on the kid even if he were full of piss and vinegar instead of (hypothetically) wracked by self-doubt.

Let’s look at it another way: given Storen’s performance this year, where do you think the Gnats would be if they didn’t have Soriano? Their performance is ugly anyway, but you want to divvy his twenty five saves up amongst whom?

9. jb8588 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

*same

10. Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Clippard should take a deep breath and look at the situation. Anytime an organizations sense it has a weak spot, it needs to try to correct it. and bringing in a good additional reliever was a solid move. If Storen took it as a rebuke and let it become his “Thing,” that’s not the front office’s fault. It’s not like they took Storen aside and said “hey, you suck, we’re going to go get someone to protect us from your incompetence.” I seem to recall that everyone went out of their way to say that Storen was a great young pitcher with a bright future who shouldn’t let what happened get to his head.

And anyway, all the ignoramuses out there still insist idiotically on blaming what happened on the early decommissioning of Strasberg, as if he would have been on the mound instead of Storen in the bottom of the ninth in a save situation. Storen already had his cover story prepped for him by the time spring training came around through no disingenuous effort of his own.

Clippard needed to keep his mouth shut. He sounds like A-roid light in this fiasco.

• vivabear - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM

*Strasburg…..anyone at least 3/4 literate knows the correct spelling of Stephen’s last name.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Congratulations; you’re now 1 for about 250. And it took a typo to do it. And you’re still a dumb schmuck.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Sure Gator, it was a “typo”, wink wink. Idiotic tool.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Why not scroll back a few years and see how many times I spelled it correctly? Wink, wink. Jackass.

• vivabear - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Not sure what I’m 1 for 250 for…Gator – does it get boring subjecting HBT comments with the same diarrhea over and over? Feesh, feelies, macondo…come on give it up, you’re not funny.

• Old Gator - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM

It is funny. You’re just too dumb and clueless to understand most of it. And 1 for 250 refers to how many times you’ve challenged me on points of baseball and (guffaw!) grammar only to wind up looking like a fool after being presented with the verities. I hadn’t wasted any millivolts on the memory in a long time, but I still remember when you first appeared here like a pond fart to claim the Cubs weren’t interested in trading Garza for Tweeter, and when I presented you multiple times with links or quotes from newspaper, online blogs or radio discussions that reported the discussions, went just right on claiming the negotiations never occurred like the brick-dense, post-dumb bufone that you are. I think that was almost as funny as when you came on here with grammatical rules you pulled out of your asshole in some desperate effort to show me up as a writer – and then pretended not to see the links or references to the actual rules that I posted for you. I don’t know what you look like but I suspect that’s your picture next to the definition of “pathetic” in the Anglo-American Cyclopedia.

And now you want to come back for more? Hilarious. You remind me of Charlie Tuna, only not as endearing.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

“It IS funny.” Yet another example of how pathetic Gator is, thinking so highly of himself like Natslady.

• Kevin Gillman - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Clippard seems to have more senority on the team, right? He’s been there for awhile, so maybe if he said it….maybe the team feels that way? It doesn’t make it right, or wrong, but to compare him to A-Roid? Come on now.

We do know this, earlier in the season, Soriano blew a save, and blamed it on Bryce Harper for not being in the right position. Then he later took it back, and blamed himself. Perhaps there is some truth behind what Clippard was saying? But we don’t know because neither one of us is in the clubhouse.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Okay, fair enough – but bear in mind that the A-roid comparison was meant merely as a reference to his shenanigans lately in his extracurricular media conflict with Cashman. I really didn’t mean to compare Clippard to him as a liar, fraud, adulterer and PED user.

True, we’re not in the clubhouse, but just looking at the stats Soriano has been pretty good this season while Storen hasn’t been able to find his footing. Nevertheless, to say that someone who comes in and succeeds at his position while someone else does not “blew up the chemistry” of a team that has been failing across the board, especially at the plate, is a real nonstarter.

• Kevin Gillman - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Fair point, but let me ask you this question, have you know Tyler Clippard in the past to come out and say the FO made a mistake? Or that he doesn’t agree with a certain situation? Now, I agree Soriano is having a good season, while Storen obviously hasn’t gotten over what happed last season in the postseason. It’s nothing new, we have seen many players who were shelled to not be the same player the year after. But it also doesn’t mean that Soriano has gotten along with everyone too. But Tyler said his say, and regardless, what is done is done. I just think his opinion holds more value than say if Craig Stammen said the same thing.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

From the description of Clippard’s interview, it sounds to me like he was pretty emotional at the time. In other words, he was coming from the heart instead of the brain. And sure, it’s possible that he’s merely deflecting irritation or antipathy he feels towards Soriano by making it sound like he’s holding the FO accountable. But would that be wise?

But the bottom line – someone said this above someplace – is that Storen is playing major league baseball and he needs to be mentally tougher than he has shown he is or he doesn’t belong there, at least not right now. If Soriano is having clubhouse issues, on the other hand, he doesn’t seem to be bringing them out onto the field.

I suspect that it would have been much more useful in terms of “chemistry” (the nature of which I don’t really claim to understand – let’s call me an agnostic about its very existence) if Clippard had taken Soriano to dinner some time and hashed out any differences he might have had with him than gone public criticizing the FO. This is assuming, of course, that Soriano has been behaving even marginally like, say, Heath Bell was when he was playing for the Feesh last season. Otherwise, all the FO did was go out and sign a good ballplayer who is doing the job he was signed to do. His merely being there isn’t nearly enough of a reason for Clippard to take his resentment public.

• Kevin Gillman - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Fair enough, we can debate this all the way through, but was it wise for Clippard to say that? probably not, but because of who he is, and his standing with the club, I would safely say he had his say, and the matter should be done. Now perhaps Soriano and Clippard could go out for dinner afterwards, and the matter would be over. I also agree Storen needs to get over it, then again how many times have those instances come up when a pitcher implodes in the postseason, only to not have a good season the next? I don’t know off hands, but I bet it’s more than we think. But regardless, Drew has to clear his head, and become a better pitcher when he comes back up.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Brian Cashman would like to tell this former Yankees farmhand to STFU.

11. paperlions - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Clippard comes off poorly here.

First, if you can’t mentally handle the pressure of someone challenging you for your job, then you don’t belong in the major leagues….because someone is ALWAYS going to be challenging you for your job if you aren’t getting it done). This is especially true for relief pitchers, whose production generally is pretty volatile.

Second, based on appearances the Nats were correct and they did need additional bullpen arms, because Storen has been horrible this year. He had a chance to prove they were wrong, and he failed. Blaming the organization because they didn’t pat you on the back enough (which is what Clippard is doing, not Storen), is lame.

I actually don’t believe the second one at all, looking at Storen’s numbers. He has been a little more homer prone than in the past, and he’s been unlucky on balls in play and in sequencing (his LOB% has taken a big dive), but his K rate is still good and he’s not walking guys. This really just looks like some typical SSS variation in the career of a typical relief pitcher.

12. xmatt0926x - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

It’s also wonderful that Old Gator rips everyone who places importance on the thumbs up or thumbs down use on this site. I actually agree with him on this point but isn’t it odd how the one thumbs down I received came just as he makes his post ripping me.

Not that it was him that gave me the thumbs down. Nah….too much substance and creativity for that.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Correct. I never use the thumbs, either way. I think they’re juvenile and discourage actual discourse. I would much rather go toe to toe with you than resort to such a mindless mode of commentary. And believe it or not, I actually appreciate that you’d rather comment openly, however much or little I respect your comments, than resort to them yourself.

13. imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Can we re-title this entry to “When commenters expose themselves for taking a comment section and their role in it too seriously”

14. xmatt0926x - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

And since it seems to be a important criteria to some here, I have been here for a good long while. No, I don’t live on here and have a million posts, but I also didn’t realize that served as some qualification to the self appointed governing members of this baseball blog.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

No, merely being here isn’t all that important a critera. Contributing consistently and usefully over a long while is. Natslady meets that criteria easily.

15. thebadguyswon - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM

You’ve got to be kidding me with this thread. Its awesome.

16. jrbdmb - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Nats lost ther mojo when they sat SS down last year. Funny how Natslady and many other Nats fans insisted it was the right move, as the Nats were built to be a playoff team for many years.

How’s that plan going, anyhow?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester