Jul 27, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Wade Davis entered the night with the worst ERA among all starters (min. 90 innings). Slated opposite Chris Sale, who entered the night with the 13th-best ERA in baseball, it looked like a mismatch. Nevertheless, Davis persevered, shutting out the White Sox over seven and one-third innings. He allowed four hits, walked three, and struck out four. Louis Coleman finished off the eighth for the hold, and Greg Holland escaped some ninth-inning trouble for the save, his 26th of the season.
Sale allowed one run over a nine-inning complete game loss, falling to 6-10. The only damage occurred on a Lorenzo Cain RBI double in the sixth. Sale otherwise kept the Royals quiet, surrendering seven hits and one walk while striking out seven. It is the third time this season Sale has allowed one or zero runs and been saddled with the loss. Someone notify Brian Kenny (@MrBrianKenny).
The Royals continue to hang onto the fringe of contention, now 50-51. After the Tigers wrap up a victory over the Phillies tonight, the Royals will be seven games out of first place in the AL Central and six games out of the second Wild Card if the Orioles don’t come back against the Red Sox.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)