Jul 27, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Wade Davis entered the night with the worst ERA among all starters (min. 90 innings). Slated opposite Chris Sale, who entered the night with the 13th-best ERA in baseball, it looked like a mismatch. Nevertheless, Davis persevered, shutting out the White Sox over seven and one-third innings. He allowed four hits, walked three, and struck out four. Louis Coleman finished off the eighth for the hold, and Greg Holland escaped some ninth-inning trouble for the save, his 26th of the season.
Sale allowed one run over a nine-inning complete game loss, falling to 6-10. The only damage occurred on a Lorenzo Cain RBI double in the sixth. Sale otherwise kept the Royals quiet, surrendering seven hits and one walk while striking out seven. It is the third time this season Sale has allowed one or zero runs and been saddled with the loss. Someone notify Brian Kenny (@MrBrianKenny).
The Royals continue to hang onto the fringe of contention, now 50-51. After the Tigers wrap up a victory over the Phillies tonight, the Royals will be seven games out of first place in the AL Central and six games out of the second Wild Card if the Orioles don’t come back against the Red Sox.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)