Jul 27, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Wade Davis entered the night with the worst ERA among all starters (min. 90 innings). Slated opposite Chris Sale, who entered the night with the 13th-best ERA in baseball, it looked like a mismatch. Nevertheless, Davis persevered, shutting out the White Sox over seven and one-third innings. He allowed four hits, walked three, and struck out four. Louis Coleman finished off the eighth for the hold, and Greg Holland escaped some ninth-inning trouble for the save, his 26th of the season.
Sale allowed one run over a nine-inning complete game loss, falling to 6-10. The only damage occurred on a Lorenzo Cain RBI double in the sixth. Sale otherwise kept the Royals quiet, surrendering seven hits and one walk while striking out seven. It is the third time this season Sale has allowed one or zero runs and been saddled with the loss. Someone notify Brian Kenny (@MrBrianKenny).
The Royals continue to hang onto the fringe of contention, now 50-51. After the Tigers wrap up a victory over the Phillies tonight, the Royals will be seven games out of first place in the AL Central and six games out of the second Wild Card if the Orioles don’t come back against the Red Sox.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)