A day after Tigers embarrass Phillies, Phillies embarrass themselves

Jul 28, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT

Jake Diekman AP

Last night, the Tigers outclassed the Phillies en route to an easy 10-0 win. Max Scherzer was on point as he improved to 15-1, and Miguel Cabrera was productive as usual. A typical game for the defending American League champions.

This afternoon was an entirely different story, as the Phillies were their own worst enemy. It started off like a normal game. With the Phillies leading 1-0 in the bottom of the third, the Tigers were threatening, loading the bases with one out for Miguel Cabrera. He fell behind 0-2 on some questionable calls, then was, all of a sudden, ejected from the game. Ostensibly, Cabrera had muttered a few words within earshot of home plate umpire Chad Fairchild. Manager Jim Leyland came out to defend his slugger and was promptly tossed as well, an inauspicious start for the Tigers. Matt Tuiasosopo replaced Cabrera, eventually striking out. Prince Fielder fouled out to end the threat.

The Phillies would tack on a couple more runs to go up 3-0. Though Pettibone had pitched well through five innings, he labored all afternoon, having thrown 78 pitches. Manager Charlie Manuel opted to go to his much-maligned bullpen for the final four frames, and that is where it all fell apart. Without having to take you through the painful details, this is what the sixth-inning summary looked like (emphasis mine):

Bottom 6th: Detroit

- J. Diekman relieved J. Pettibone

- A. Dirks walked

- A. Avila safe at first on pitcher J. Diekman’s throwing error, A. Dirks to second

- R. Santiago reached on bunt single, A. Dirks to third, A. Avila to second

- A. Jackson flied out to shallow right

- D. Kelly safe at first on left fielder S. Susdorf’s fielding error, A. Dirks scored, A. Avila to third, R. Santiago to second

- L. Garcia relieved J. Diekman

- M. Tuiasosopo walked, A. Avila scored, R. Santiago to third, D. Kelly to second

- H. Perez ran for M. Tuiasosopo

- P. Fielder safe at first on first baseman D. Ruf’s throwing error, R. Santiago scored, D. Kelly to third, H. Perez to second

- V. Martinez walked, D. Kelly scored, H. Perez to third, P. Fielder to second

- J. Peralta homered to deep left, H. Perez, P. Fielder and V. Martinez scored

- A. Bastardo relieved L. Garcia

- A. Dirks struck out swinging

- A. Avila struck out looking

8 runs, 2 hits, 3 errors

Philadelphia 3, Detroit 11

The inning was actually uglier than the summary suggests, as it lasted over a half hour and featured this gem:

The Tigers went on to win 12-4, completing the series sweep in Detroit. The win is the Tigers’ seventh in their last eight games, while the Phillies extended their losing streak to eight games.

1. elmerbrownelmerbrown - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Detroit just scored again !

2. streetskater1989 - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

SELL SELL SELL

3. historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM

You know what’s a great problem to have? Worrying that your pitcher sat too long while the offense was batting.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

That Cabrera is such a hot head. I needed his bat in my fantasy lineup.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I didn’t think he was hot. Any other ump and I bet he wouldn’t have been tossed. That was the mildest “earned” ejection I think I’ve seen in a long time. He must have called the ump the very bad word for that.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Some umpires are very sensitive. Bautista got tossed today for telling the ump that he had an extremely wide strike zone. In fairness to Bautista the second strike was very inside.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I recall when the Phils had that problem.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Poor phan.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM

No need for sympathy. I am that rare fan here in Philly who has seen this train-wreck develop in slow-motion for 2+ years.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM

If it makes you feel better, I went like 2 decades with lousy Tigers teams. I know the pain.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Both franchises have certainly gone through lean times.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM

You know what’s a terrible problem to have? V 2.0’s velocity. Porcini’s inconsistency. Dog’s mediocrity. Bad hip flexors. And isn’t that a very A-Rod sort of injury?

• db2b2 - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM

You are absolutely correct regarding that problem area….I have no idea why there are so many thumbs down….it is a great problem to have and those fans of teams that don’t have that problem gotta be envious…

4. recoveringcubsfan - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I recall when the Phillies were *this close* to being buyers at the deadline and looked poised to make a run at the Wild Card or Division. That was just last week. Who can figure what the hell’s going on with this team.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM

They were never “this close”. Coming out of the break they needed to go 42-24 to reach 90 wins, and any objective observer could see that this was not the group to do that. from front office to farm system, troubles abound.

• recoveringcubsfan - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM

They seemed to think otherwise. I feel like they were a damn sight closer to the playoffs 7 days ago than today, but I don’t feel like looking it up. I’ll just refer to Amaro’s stated intention not to sell because the team was making a run at it. Now maybe he’s a fool, I haven’t heard….

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM

He is delusional. The “plan” for two years has been hope and pray the heroes of 08 didn’t get hurt. Delusional, and extremely arrogant.

5. danaking - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Anyone have any though on why every comments that suggests an umpire might have a hair trigger gets major thumbs down? Does Bob Davidson monitor the site on weekends?

• tigersfandan - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

No, I think PC and historio tend to bring out the thumbs down.

• tigersfandan - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Mind you, I’m not saying it is fair.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Yeah, I have a hater fan club. The content of the comment is irrelevant. They give me hate kisses on everything.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM

See?

• stex52 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Ignore them, philiac. Thumbs down is the tool of small minds.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM

This site has gotten a lot less fun over the last few months. Do you think the yahoos will depart again after the Biogenesis story dies down? It’s like a Senate caucus around here these days.

• recoveringcubsfan - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I believe the standard hope around here is that when NFL training camp begins, things go back to nerd-normal at HBT. I could be wrong.

As one of the consistently “not fun” people here, please accept my apology. Your posts have shown a decided improvement, ‘liac, and you’re often downright enjoyable. Kudos.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Well, thanks. But I don’t expect everyone to like me. I don’t try to provoke anything anyway…well, except for having a little fun on the patriotic posts. ;)

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Here’s a little hate kiss – Ð

6. lionsplayoffs - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Moral of the story: Get the Bastardo in sooner.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3429)