Jul 28, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Joel Sherman and Ken Davidoff of the New York Post have the exclusive:
The strong indications are Major League Baseball will announce all the suspensions in the Biogenesis case this week, including one that could cover the rest of this year and all of next year for Alex Rodriguez, The Post has learned.
It always has been MLB’s plan to announce the suspensions at one time for the 15-plus players believed to be facing sanctions in the performance-enhancing drug case. MLB went early with Ryan Braun’s suspension because of his willingness to accept the penalty without appeal.
MLB wants to get the suspensions in place before any team reaches the point where they have fewer than 50 games to play, which makes sense because most of these guys are first-time offenders and the typical penalty for a first-time PED charge is 50 games. Though we’ve seen MLB veer far away from the typical with its handling of this Biogenesis case.
On the A-Rod side of things, Sherman and Davidoff write that Major League Baseball officials are of the thinking that “the combination of being a user and obstructing the case demands a much stiffer penalty — especially because Rodriguez has admitted to previous drug use from 2001-03 and because MLB believes Rodriguez subsequently lied to its investigators in previous interviews about his usage.”
Rodriguez, who turned 38 years old late last week, would still be owed a $21 million salary for the 2015 season, a $20 million salary for the 2016 season and another $20 million salary for the 2017 season.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 36
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)