Jul 28, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Having read the title, I can no longer do the following exercise correctly, but I’ll do it anyway:
Player A: .295 AVG/.324 OBP/.508 SLG (was in the AL All-Star starting lineup)
Player B: .272 AVG/.336 OBP/.490 SLG
Player A is Adam Jones, universally hailed as one of the best outfielders in the game. Player B is Colby Rasmus, universally panned as an under-performer with a poor mental game. Rasmus was the hero for his Blue Jays this afternoon, driving a ground ball up the middle in the bottom of the ninth, driving in Emilio Bonifacio for the walk-off win.
By weighted on-base average, a more specific measure of offense, Rasmus is in a dead heat with Jones at .358, above the .321 AL average for center fielders. Behind Mike Trout, the two are the best in the league at their position, offensively speaking.
Factoring in defense, base running, and playing time, Rasmus grades as the league’s second-best overall center fielder behind Trout going by Wins Above Replacement, per FanGraphs. Rasmus turns 27 on August 11 and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility after the season. He can become a free agent after the 2014 season. At the time the Jays agreed to give him $4.675 million to avoid arbitration in January, it was hard to imagine them wanting to offer Rasmus a contract extension, but it is a very real possibility now after the great season he has had thus far.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)