Jul 28, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Red Sox DH David Ortiz went 4-for-4 with 2 RBI in his first game after destroying the telephone in the visitor’s dugout at Camden Yards last night. He hit a two-run home run off of Orioles starter Jason Hammel in the second inning and logged three additional singles as he bumped his batting average back up to .329.
Ortiz also pretended to go after the phone with his bat again, but in a joking fashion this time. Via Gamereax:
The Red Sox, behind seven shutout innings by starter Jon Lester, handily defeated the Orioles 5-0. As the Rays lost to the Yankees on an Alfonso Soriano walk-off RBI single, the Red Sox reclaimed first place in the AL East at 63-43.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 9
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)