Jul 28, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Red Sox DH David Ortiz went 4-for-4 with 2 RBI in his first game after destroying the telephone in the visitor’s dugout at Camden Yards last night. He hit a two-run home run off of Orioles starter Jason Hammel in the second inning and logged three additional singles as he bumped his batting average back up to .329.
Ortiz also pretended to go after the phone with his bat again, but in a joking fashion this time. Via Gamereax:
The Red Sox, behind seven shutout innings by starter Jon Lester, handily defeated the Orioles 5-0. As the Rays lost to the Yankees on an Alfonso Soriano walk-off RBI single, the Red Sox reclaimed first place in the AL East at 63-43.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 32
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)