Jul 28, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Red Sox DH David Ortiz went 4-for-4 with 2 RBI in his first game after destroying the telephone in the visitor’s dugout at Camden Yards last night. He hit a two-run home run off of Orioles starter Jason Hammel in the second inning and logged three additional singles as he bumped his batting average back up to .329.
Ortiz also pretended to go after the phone with his bat again, but in a joking fashion this time. Via Gamereax:
The Red Sox, behind seven shutout innings by starter Jon Lester, handily defeated the Orioles 5-0. As the Rays lost to the Yankees on an Alfonso Soriano walk-off RBI single, the Red Sox reclaimed first place in the AL East at 63-43.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 15
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 44
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 5
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 33
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)