Jul 28, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Red Sox DH David Ortiz went 4-for-4 with 2 RBI in his first game after destroying the telephone in the visitor’s dugout at Camden Yards last night. He hit a two-run home run off of Orioles starter Jason Hammel in the second inning and logged three additional singles as he bumped his batting average back up to .329.
Ortiz also pretended to go after the phone with his bat again, but in a joking fashion this time. Via Gamereax:
The Red Sox, behind seven shutout innings by starter Jon Lester, handily defeated the Orioles 5-0. As the Rays lost to the Yankees on an Alfonso Soriano walk-off RBI single, the Red Sox reclaimed first place in the AL East at 63-43.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)