Derek Jeter homers in first at-bat since quad strain

Jul 28, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter homered Sunday on the first pitch of his first at-bat since returning from a Grade 1 quadriceps muscle strain. It was only his fifth at-bat of the 2013 regular season.

The home run was the Yankees’ first since the All-Star break and just the third home run hit by a Yankees shortstop this year. It was also the Yankees’ first home run from a right-handed hitter since June 25.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:19 PM

And he looked simply magnificent hitting that home run. Can he keep it up? Stay tuned!

• gmsingh - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I heard he tore both triceps in the process.

• toddymarzaroli - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I BUY ALMOST EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOOD AND CLOTHING FROM ONLINE AUCTIONS MOST PEOPLE AREN’T AWARE OF THE ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE DEALS THAT THEY CAN GET FROM ONLINE AUCTION SITES THE SITE THAT HAS THE BEST DEALS IS saveBang,,Com

I checked with the BBB and was told that it is all legit.How they can sell gift cards, laptops,
      cameras, and all kinds of goodies that we all want for 50-90% off, I don’t know
      I do know that I bought my son an ipad there for less than $100 and my husband a $250 Low gift

cards for 48Why would I even think about shopping anyþlace else?

2. pinkfloydprism - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Wow… He is AMAZING… yawn

• fanofevilempire - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM

it is amazing, get lost.
      Soriano had a good game, two bats added.

• nbjays - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Which now gives them a total of three, counting Cano.

• cackalackyank - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Kinda forgot Gardner, eh?

• nbjays - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Oh right, Gardner does have a bat. It’s the arm he’s missing.

• basedrum777 - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM

nbjays, you might not like him but BCBG is the best defensive left fielder in baseball. And his CF skills tracking down flyballs is outstanding.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Floyd is the best band ever so just on that I gotta thumbs up ya and if you knew me personally you would agree

• pinkfloydprism - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Oh, I agree

3. sarcasm - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Clearly he should have retired.

4. deadeyedesign23 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM

God help us all.

5. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

“It was also the Yankees’ first home run from a right-handed hitter since June 25.”

that is insanely pathetic

• detroitfanatic - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I heard May 25th. No joke. Anyone know the real date? Also: Wil Myers>GMDM

• jayscarpa - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I may have propagated the May date, sorry. Jayson Nix hit a HR on June 25th against the Rangers.

• bigharold - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

What’s really pathetic is after his firs game as SS he now has half as many HRs as every other SS the Yankees have used through the entire season.

Between Soriano and Jeter the Yankees now have some bats.

6. newyorkshets - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM

The captain! Glad to Jeter back with my yankees. Now only if we can rid the game of baseball of the turds that are Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM

what is the purpose of mention A-Rod, you are such a loser.

7. supremekingz - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM

How can ya not LOVE Derek Jeter?

8. beantownstrong - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM

As a RS fan, love to cheer against the Yankee’s… but when it comes to Jeter (and Rivera as well), you gotta respect him for everything he’s done for baseball and the Yanks.
    It hard to see father-time catch up to these guys… but they’ve done it the right way… no PEDs, hard work and consistency… old school… respecting the game… cheers!

9. norvturnersneck - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM

What class

10. nghtrder169 - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

The Legend continues – just another great story in his storybook career… Talking about clutch… A-Roid… Ah I mean A-Rod threw-up when he saw this HR and promptly when into his bathroom exposed his left butt cheek took a little something and gained 5lbs of instant muscle lol

11. notsofast10 - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Thank God for that short porch at the end of the wind tunnel in Right Field at the “new” Yankee Stadium! A true wall scrapper!

• yournuts - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

That porch is there for everyone.

12. toosano - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I guess that’s a big FU to his critics!

13. cackalackyank - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM

You just can’t script stuff much better than this. Now there are 5 reasonably possible threats to at least get on base. However “the home run was the Yankees’ first since the All-Star break and just the third home run hit by a Yankees shortstop this year. It was also the Yankees’ first home run from a right-handed hitter since June 25″ boggles the mind. NO homeruns in 9 games?!?! This is a red letter indictment of why the Yankees are 7 games out, and just how badly they are missing a couple guys they let walk last year.

14. florida727 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Being born and raised in Chicago, I’m supposed to hate everything Yankees related, but I can’t because I absolutely love this guy. He plays the game the way it’s supposed to be played, and he always has. I hope he hits 100 more… this year. Good luck, Derek.

15. bobc74 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM

So now we know what he did on his first at bat. Too bad one home run in the first inning isn’t the way a ball game ends. What did he do for the rest of the game? Or wasn’t it memorable enough to print?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2761)