Jul 28, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
It sounds like Jake Peavy will soon be traded.
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the veteran right-hander packed five suitcases for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Royals at U.S. Cellular Field in anticipation of being dealt to a new team at some point over the next three days. The White Sox will travel directly from Sunday’s game to Cleveland, where they will take on the Indians in a four-game series that ends August 1.
The deadline for non-waiver trades is July 31.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the Cardinals, Orioles, Red Sox and A’s are currently talking to the White Sox — the Braves have dropped out — and Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com hears from a White Sox source that Oakland is currently “in front.”
Peavy has a 4.28 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 76/17 K/BB ratio in 80 innings this season for the last-place Pale Hose. The 32-year-old is owed $14.5 million in 2014 and carries a $15 million player option for 2015.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)