Jul 28, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
It sounds like Jake Peavy will soon be traded.
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the veteran right-hander packed five suitcases for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Royals at U.S. Cellular Field in anticipation of being dealt to a new team at some point over the next three days. The White Sox will travel directly from Sunday’s game to Cleveland, where they will take on the Indians in a four-game series that ends August 1.
The deadline for non-waiver trades is July 31.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the Cardinals, Orioles, Red Sox and A’s are currently talking to the White Sox — the Braves have dropped out — and Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com hears from a White Sox source that Oakland is currently “in front.”
Peavy has a 4.28 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 76/17 K/BB ratio in 80 innings this season for the last-place Pale Hose. The 32-year-old is owed $14.5 million in 2014 and carries a $15 million player option for 2015.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)