Jul 28, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins have officially placed right-hander Kevin Slowey on the 15-day disabled list due to lingering discomfort in his right forearm. Steven Ames was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans on Sunday morning in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Slowey, who was demoted from the starting rotation to a long relief role earlier this month, felt increasing pain Saturday while throwing warmup tosses in the bullpen during the Marlins’ 7-4 loss to the Pirates. He clearly was not at full strength when he allowed three runs on three hits while recording no outs Thursday against the Rockies.
Slowey will presumably pay a visit to a forearm and elbow specialist — someone like Dr. James Andrews.
The 29-year-old has a 4.11 ERA, 1.35 WHIP and 76/18 K/BB ratio in 92 innings this season for Miami.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 15
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 18
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)