Jul 28, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins have officially placed right-hander Kevin Slowey on the 15-day disabled list due to lingering discomfort in his right forearm. Steven Ames was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans on Sunday morning in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Slowey, who was demoted from the starting rotation to a long relief role earlier this month, felt increasing pain Saturday while throwing warmup tosses in the bullpen during the Marlins’ 7-4 loss to the Pirates. He clearly was not at full strength when he allowed three runs on three hits while recording no outs Thursday against the Rockies.
Slowey will presumably pay a visit to a forearm and elbow specialist — someone like Dr. James Andrews.
The 29-year-old has a 4.11 ERA, 1.35 WHIP and 76/18 K/BB ratio in 92 innings this season for Miami.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)