Jul 28, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins have officially placed right-hander Kevin Slowey on the 15-day disabled list due to lingering discomfort in his right forearm. Steven Ames was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans on Sunday morning in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Slowey, who was demoted from the starting rotation to a long relief role earlier this month, felt increasing pain Saturday while throwing warmup tosses in the bullpen during the Marlins’ 7-4 loss to the Pirates. He clearly was not at full strength when he allowed three runs on three hits while recording no outs Thursday against the Rockies.
Slowey will presumably pay a visit to a forearm and elbow specialist — someone like Dr. James Andrews.
The 29-year-old has a 4.11 ERA, 1.35 WHIP and 76/18 K/BB ratio in 92 innings this season for Miami.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 41
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 87
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)