Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Jul 28, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

sergio romo getty Getty Images

The defending World Series champs are toast.

Madison Bumgarner threw eight scoreless innings, allowing only four hits and striking out seven, but the Giants managed no runs and fell to the Cubs 1-0 on Saturday night at San Francisco’s AT&T Park.

Nate Schierholtz, the former Giants outfielder, played the hero for Chicago with his game-winning solo shot off Sergio Romo in the top of the ninth.

The Giants are now 46-57 on the season and nine games back of the Dodgers — who defeated the Reds on Saturday — in the National League West standings. In any other division, they’d be buried even deeper.

Your Saturday recaps and box scores:

Rays 1, Yankees 0

Pirates 7, Marlins 4

Padres 12, Diamondbacks 3

Brewers 7, Rockies 5

Cubs 1, Giants 0

Reds 1, Dodgers 4

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Wow! The World Series Champs have a worse record than my Blue Jays, even though the Giants play in a much weaker Division. Who would have thunk it?

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM

wanna guess the last time anyone called the bluejays the world series champs? Try 1993!! That’s my new nickname for you, 1993!! When you see that, it means im talking to you

• spudchukar - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM

It is also the last time you had an original thought.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM

its also the last time you got laid

• Old Gator - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Ah, there we go – Dirty Harry takes his atrophied cortex back to the gutter where it came from. I think he’s just the way he is because fifth grade is looming in about five more weeks and his prospects for surviving it are pretty slim.

• mrpinkca - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM

To paraphrase a fellow country man of yours “I can’t really hear what your saying because i’ve got my two world series rings plugging my ears.” – Sort of Patrick Roy

2. elwaysmilehighdenver - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Mad Max is money again! 15-1. Great to have Miggy back. Go Tigers.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Another fine outing by Josh “1 win” Johnson, when he makes his next start it will be Aug and this guy really only has “1” win. I guess the only question left is will he ever get win #2? hmmmmm I hope not cause I like calling him josh “1 win” Johnson

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Kind of reminds you of the recent troubles of CC Sabathia doesn’t it! The main difference is that Johnson will become a free agent this off season, while CC’s contract will remain a financial albatross for several years.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Nope the two don’t even remotely compare to each other, CC is coming off of off season surgery and will be fine next year. Josh 1 win Johnson might be gone but RA dickey will still be there and he is washed up and Mark “I belong in the NL” Burhle will also still be on that staff and even he knows he has no business pitching in the AL East. There is nothing down on the farm except for big time must Kyle Drabek who will be 27 next year and is just a reminder on how bad the bluejays got ripped off in the Doc Halladay trade. There is no future or hope for 2014 for the jays and I fully expect the rotation to be in total shambles next season like it has been this year.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Very weak Harry, even by your standards. Everyone in baseball knows that CC is washed up and the Yankees are stuck with too many albatross contracts such as his.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Sorry you don’t like the truth but this guy is far from done and when im proven right I will be sure to remind you like I always do. That’s one thing I noticed about the handful of bluejay fans that are known to exist, they hate the truth!! I guess I would too if I were them isn’t that right 1993?

• Old Gator - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Well, that’s the difference between CC and Johnson, alright – only CC is coming off recent surgery. Poor dimwitted little Harry can’t even get his information straight. Forget it, Harry – the Coriolus Effect has Sabbathia in its grip, along with the rest of your broken down, over the hill, washed up team. And this news flash just in: the universe will continue to perform pretty much to the same specs whether you’re proved right or not. In other words, you don’t matter.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Harry is a figment of his own imagination.

• nbjays - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Then he’s got a pretty pathetic imagination.

• nbjays - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

“when im proven right I will be sure to remind you like I always do.”

And when you are proven wrong, you disappear without a trace with your tail between your legs… like you always do.

So sad…

4. unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Mmmm …. toast. How did something so simple and delicious become associated with losing?

• recoveringcubsfan - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Right? Toasted marshmallows, toasted pints, cinnamon toast crunch – this word is being abused!

• Old Gator - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Toasted marshmallows. Even better when you cross the beams through them. By the way, here’s a little suggestion for you: spread some peanut butter on the graham crackers before adding the Hershey’s pieces, the incinerated marshmallows and the second cracker. You never knew it was possible to have a sensation like that so far up your body.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Literally almost anything that is good is even better if you toast it.

5. Old Gator - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Bad night for the Feesh. They dug themselves a five run hole by the second inning, then fell just short of pulling even before the Bucs pulled away later in the game. Kevin Slowey gets turfed to the DL with a right forearm strain and let’s see who gets called up next on Scrooge McLoria’s cutrate AA conveyor, the Ryan Air of MLB – as of this diddling, no name announced yet.

Marcell Ozuna supposedly had his thumb surgery on Friday but there’s been no official word about that except to predict that he’ll play winter ball to make up for lost time. We think he went to the same doctor who second-guessed A-roid’s magnetotrophic scans. There were rumors that they found another thumb inside the thumb, and another thumb inside that one, and a not yet well formed foetal thumb inside of that. Perhaps Ozuna is just the next stage of evolution, a sort of benign It’s Alive baby, with thumbs like shark teeth. It reminds me that when my daughter was in first grade she brought home a baby tooth with instructions from her teacher to ask us why it fell out. I told her that it was caused by the burrowing larva of the tooth fairy. She went back and told her teacher that. Giggle. She has forgiven me, though, and is marrying a lawyer.

Today is a great peetching matchup – Gerrit Cole versus The Kid. There might actually be warm bodies in Macondo Banana Massacre Field today (poikilothermic, I mean, as opposed to homeostatically heated by the sunbaked sidewalks) for a change; the Feesh have really gone on the public relations offensive with The Kid’s escape from Cuba story lately and, obviously, that sells well here in Macondo. They need to pack ‘em in for him because he’s getting the Strassborg treatment this season at around 170 innings or so.

Unless he proves too profitable. This is Scrooge McLoria calling the shots.

6. Anoesis - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Two hundred million dollar-plus payroll to dethrone the Giants is a debatable strategy, but I do appreciate that it has silenced the crowing Bay area chest-beaters. The ends justify the means. Money well spent.

7. paperlions - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Joe Kelly now has an ERA of 2.35 as a starter, and an ERA of 1.89 in long-outings (he has twice come in early in games to replace starters that blew up and pitched at least 5 innings). Not only is there no reason for the Cardinals to go out and get another starting pitcher, there isn’t even any reason for rumor mongers….ahem….sports writers to continue to say that they need one…..and that is before considering Lyons, Wacha, and Martinez.

• spudchukar - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Not sure I totally agree, but there is something comforting about not making a move. Almost like amateurs vs pros. Dancing with the one who brung ya or something like that. Can’t be David slaying Goliath, if you go out and buy an AK-47.

8. dirtydrew - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM

As a Giants fan, it’s sad to see the front office not improve this team in the offseason. They get nothing from left field and nothing from center field. And to top it off, Pablo Sandoval came back 49 lbs overweight. He is it ting 60 points lower and half the power numbers. Big fat ass. Pence and Brandon Belt are not helping either. You only defend so many titles. With all the sell outs, 10 dollar beers and money made from panda hats and 20$ pictures with the trophies, we could have got a player or 2. I mean, you could not out bid the A’s for Cespedes?

9. historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Miggy was back in the lineup after 4 days out and…..Boom! Welcome back. And then Tui too! It was a 5-run 1st inning. he heeee!!!! Hunter was back too and it was nice to see the gang in form. Max was awesome and Al-Al & Reed were good too. Phillies got just 2 hits total. The bad news is that our almost Kelly-free outing saw a late game running substitution for my ex-bf Torii. He’s out of the game today, and that makes me a little nervous about his injury. As for last night, I was confident enough in the win (ha ha) that I went out instead of watching the end. I love being able to do that.

I hope there won’t be flying comment shards today, folks. Let’s all be on our best behavior for the Return of Jeter, aka Doom. Jobu is smiling.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2860)