Jul 28, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
The defending World Series champs are toast.
Madison Bumgarner threw eight scoreless innings, allowing only four hits and striking out seven, but the Giants managed no runs and fell to the Cubs 1-0 on Saturday night at San Francisco’s AT&T Park.
The Giants are now 46-57 on the season and nine games back of the Dodgers — who defeated the Reds on Saturday — in the National League West standings. In any other division, they’d be buried even deeper.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)