Jul 28, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
The defending World Series champs are toast.
Madison Bumgarner threw eight scoreless innings, allowing only four hits and striking out seven, but the Giants managed no runs and fell to the Cubs 1-0 on Saturday night at San Francisco’s AT&T Park.
The Giants are now 46-57 on the season and nine games back of the Dodgers — who defeated the Reds on Saturday — in the National League West standings. In any other division, they’d be buried even deeper.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 22
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)