Jul 28, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
The defending World Series champs are toast.
Madison Bumgarner threw eight scoreless innings, allowing only four hits and striking out seven, but the Giants managed no runs and fell to the Cubs 1-0 on Saturday night at San Francisco’s AT&T Park.
The Giants are now 46-57 on the season and nine games back of the Dodgers — who defeated the Reds on Saturday — in the National League West standings. In any other division, they’d be buried even deeper.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)