Jul 28, 2013, 8:54 AM EST
The defending World Series champs are toast.
Madison Bumgarner threw eight scoreless innings, allowing only four hits and striking out seven, but the Giants managed no runs and fell to the Cubs 1-0 on Saturday night at San Francisco’s AT&T Park.
The Giants are now 46-57 on the season and nine games back of the Dodgers — who defeated the Reds on Saturday — in the National League West standings. In any other division, they’d be buried even deeper.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 36
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 14
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)