Jul 28, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Rich Harden requested and was granted his official release from the Twins organization. The right-hander had been continuing to rehab his surgically-repaired right shoulder, attempting yet another comeback. As Mike Berardino points out, Harden had an out clause in his contract with which he could request his release if he wasn’t on the Major League roster by July 31. It was obvious that was not going to happen with just a few days to spare.
More, via Darren Wolfson:
Lowdown on Rich Harden, who asked to be let go: won’t pitch again in 2013. Does want to pitch in 2014. Told #MNTwins treated him very well.
— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) July 28, 2013
Harden has not pitched at any level since September 2011 when he was with the Athletics. He made his 2011 debut on July 1, and in his 15 starts until the end of the season, he posted a 5.12 ERA. He will be 32 years old when the 2014 season begins.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)