Jul 28, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
Rangers reliever Tanner Scheppers told reporters he was sucker-punched by a group of males after having dinner on Thursday night in Cleveland, thus explaining his suddenly-bruised left eye and the cuts on his face. But that might not be the actual story.
A witness to Scheppers’ supposed sucker punch told Clevescene.com that the incident happened at 2:30 a.m. — not anywhere near dinner time — and that Scheppers was accompanied by teammates Joe Nathan and A.J. Pierzynski, along with “a bunch of girls.” Scheppers, according to the witness, was a “verbal instigator” and there was some jawing back and forth for a few minutes before a punch got thrown.
“He lost a bar fight,” the witness, whose exact level of involvement is unclear, explained to Vince Grzegorek of Clevescene.com on Sunday morning. “He had 10 chances to walk away before this happened.”
The 6-foot-4 right-hander will undoubtedly have to field questions about this account of the incident on Sunday evening, after the Rangers wrap up their weekend series against the Indians at Progressive Field.
Scheppers, 26, has an impressive 1.74 ERA and 1.07 WHIP in 46 2/3 innings of relief this season.
UPDATE, 5:21 p.m. ET: Here’s a statement from the Cleveland Police, via the Dallas Morning News:
“The preliminary investigation reveals that on Friday, July 26, at approximately 2:30 a.m. Texas Ranger pitcher Tanner Scheppers was involved in a physical altercation at Panini’s Bar located on W. 6th Street. Further investigation reveals that the altercation was called in by Downtown Alliance workers and that Third District officers responded to the scene to investigate. Once on scene officers attempted to get information from Scheppers for a report however, he refused to provide information and refused to make a police report. Further, officers called for EMS and he refused medical attention and EMS was disregarded. The officers then conveyed Scheppers and another male to the Ranger’s team hotel.”
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)