Cops, witness say Tanner Scheppers ‘lost a bar fight’

Jul 28, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT

tanner scheppers getty Getty Images

Rangers reliever Tanner Scheppers told reporters he was sucker-punched by a group of males after having dinner on Thursday night in Cleveland, thus explaining his suddenly-bruised left eye and the cuts on his face. But that might not be the actual story.

A witness to Scheppers’ supposed sucker punch told Clevescene.com that the incident happened at 2:30 a.m. — not anywhere near dinner time — and that Scheppers was accompanied by teammates Joe Nathan and A.J. Pierzynski, along with “a bunch of girls.” Scheppers, according to the witness, was a “verbal instigator” and there was some jawing back and forth for a few minutes before a punch got thrown.

“He lost a bar fight,” the witness, whose exact level of involvement is unclear, explained to Vince Grzegorek of Clevescene.com on Sunday morning. “He had 10 chances to walk away before this happened.”

The 6-foot-4 right-hander will undoubtedly have to field questions about this account of the incident on Sunday evening, after the Rangers wrap up their weekend series against the Indians at Progressive Field.

Scheppers, 26, has an impressive 1.74 ERA and 1.07 WHIP in 46 2/3 innings of relief this season.

*********************

UPDATE, 5:21 p.m. ET: Here’s a statement from the Cleveland Police, via the Dallas Morning News:

“The preliminary investigation reveals that on Friday, July 26, at approximately 2:30 a.m. Texas Ranger pitcher Tanner Scheppers was involved in a physical altercation at Panini’s Bar located on W. 6th Street. Further investigation reveals that the altercation was called in by Downtown Alliance workers and that Third District officers responded to the scene to investigate. Once on scene officers attempted to get information from Scheppers for a report however, he refused to provide information and refused to make a police report. Further, officers called for EMS and he refused medical attention and EMS was disregarded. The officers then conveyed Scheppers and another male to the Ranger’s team hotel.”

1. thomas844 - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Good thing Michael Barrett wasn’t there otherwise Pierzynski would have also gotten his face bruised.

• toddymarzaroli - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I BUY ALMOST EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOOD AND CLOTHING FROM ONLINE AUCTIONS MOST PEOPLE AREN’T AWARE OF THE ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE DEALS THAT THEY CAN GET FROM ONLINE AUCTION SITES THE SITE THAT HAS THE BEST DEALS IS saveBang,,Com

I checked with the BBB and was told that it is all legit.How they can sell gift cards, laptops,
      cameras, and all kinds of goodies that we all want for 50-90% off, I don’t know
      I do know that I bought my son an ipad there for less than $100 and my husband a $250 Low gift

cards for 48Why would I even think about shopping anyþlace else?

• fungrandma - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

So where are all the racists screaming about the ‘color’ of his attackers in the comments when this first broke?

• mpzz - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Back in the gutter under their rocks with the rest of the rats.

• djjanitorial - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I wonder the same thing…….NOT A WORD, but quick to give thumbs down……sad isn’t it

• outkayaking - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:57 AM

OhmyG…. Look in the mirror I guess ! Just shut up your fat face already !!

2. drunknbflo - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

6-4, 220 and you get beat up? Must be quite the pussy.

• dondada10 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight; it’s the size of the fight in the dog.

• mathieug79 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM

just ask MIchael Vick

• beelza - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

The little dick man is always the first to scream size doesn’t matter.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM

“A bumper sticker is like a sign that says ‘Hey, let’s never hang out’”

-Demetri Martin

• frightwig - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Funny, Emma Watson also tweeted that quote this afternoon. Maybe she reads Hardball Talk? Or, something in the air, I guess.

• redmcwilliams - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM

You sure you want to admit publicly that you follow Emma Watson on Twitter?

• bendover09 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It’s called making a smart choice. A man with a lot of money compared to a broke Joe looking for a quick way out. tanner swung and hit this drinking.bafoon he would’ve sued and called uncle.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Remember that this was a bar fight. A guy who may usually be intimidated by a 6 ft 4 guy was probably drunk and had no fear to go along with his beer muscles. Being 6 ft 4, Scheppers maybe assumed he was intimidating the guy he was arguing with and found out otherwise.

Either way, as Mike Tyson once famously said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. my guess is that Scheppers keeps his trap shut in bars from here on out. He would hate to get “mugged” again.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

but what about his buddies Nathan and Pierzynski they didn’t do anything, show me your friends
      and I bet they are pussies too.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM

There is a lot of vagina on this thread.

• dondada10 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

And apparently I have a small penis.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Well, hello.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean.

• louhudson23 - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Besides my redundant comment being repeated twice,I was responding to a post that has apparently been deleted in the mean time…and not only that,they took it down…..

3. jayscarpa - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Witnesses, who knew.

• detroitfanatic - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Must have happened in the good part of town. Thankfully, hip hop culture’s “no snitchen” hasn’t invaded everywhere. Although I do hear “no homo” more than I would like to.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

This coulda been a good chance for a Bull Durham line but this guy didn’t get a punch off.

• titknocker - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM

“When you get in a fight with a drunk you don’t hit him with your pitching hand. God, I can’t keep giving you these free lessons so quit screwing around and help me up.”

• titknocker - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

“Come on, Rook. Show us that million dollar arm, because I got a good idea about that ten cent head of yours.”

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Ha! Well done sir! Love that movie!

• hhull46 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

He should have taken lessons from Nolan Ryan.

5. notsofast10 - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM

That explains a lot! There was something a little fishy about a hit and run sucker punch while he was innocently walking down the street!

• statslady - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

That wouldn’t have been called fishy. It would have been called “swarming”, and it happens all too often.

6. 13arod - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Nice just what the rangers need

7. imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Subject change

“Jake Peavy has cleared his belongings from the White Sox’s clubhouse and is prepared to be traded soon, reports ESPNChicago.com’s Bruce Levine. A clubhouse attendant, with Peavy in tow, walked out with five suitcases; but, there’s no word on the exact timing of a possible deal or the destination.”

• jayscarpa - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Thanks

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Red Sox, Cardinals, O’s say it’s not them

Oakland? Dodgers? Braves?

8. slizzyslizz - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

At least he will get more love in the clubhouse than Derek Holland for getting loud and obnoxious…AT A COUNTING CROWS CONCERT!

• dondada10 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Don’t judge. I would throw my panties at an Audioslave concert.

• historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM

That was me.

• bendover09 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The only obnoxious one here looks like you. Typical butthurt hankey fan that did not.do his own research. Derrek was thrown out for standing up & taken pictures. He was escorted out to have a convo . He chose not to make his way back in with HIS OWN option. Grow up cry, quit worrying about the next man, and worry about yourself

9. 11thstreetmafia - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM

AJ pierzynski had nothing to do with this.

10. bigx21 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The witness sucka punch him!! That’s the end of the story.

11. beachnbaseball - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Let’s see. Scheppers was accompanied by teammates Joe Nathan and A.J. Pierzynski, along with “a bunch of girls.

3 married ball players.
    In a bar.
    At 2:30 in the morning.
    Suppose some ‘splainin’ will going to be going on with their wives.

• hcf95688 - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

That’s routine, and gets overlooked – until the major league paychecks stop rolling in.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Yeah, then bitches be showin up strapped and wearing bulletproof armor.

• detroitfanatic - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM

tbuckfutter: HILARIOUS!!!! I spit out my drink. So effing funny…..cause it’s true.

12. tfbuckfutter - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Um….it’s not a bar fight if one guy gets hit when he “had 10 chances to walk away” and the other guy throws an unexpected punch.

If the guy getting hit doesn’t retaliate, it’s not a bar fight….it actually sounds kind of similar to, I don’t know….a sucker punch.

• mybrunoblog - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Let me be the old wise sage here and this comes from experience. As a general rule, nothing good happens after midnight. Go home.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Actually, I suppose that depends on your personality and the company you keep.

I would say most of my most memorably awesome experiences have happened after midnight. But I don’t hang around with assholes, and generally spot and avoid aggressive types…..plus despite being a wiseass, I’m surprisingly lovable.

• louhudson23 - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM

There is a difference between the first punch and a sucker punch…If you are talking shit to/with someone in a bar,and you refuse to walk away,no punch can be called a sucker punch….

13. newyorkshets - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Screw that shithole that is called “Cleveland”

14. clownsfan - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Sounds to me like a tourist was runnin’ his mouth and a local shut it for him. Case closed.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I tend to think only small minded people respond to words with hands.

Even if they are local.

• silkyjohnson21 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten. Guess that’s what one says when they can’t fight for shit though.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM

That’s the dumbest statement I have read in quite awhile.

However, I assume if you are too dumb and lazy to reason with people then the people you are interacting with on a regular basis are too dumb and lazy to be reasoned with.

So I understand why you feel what you just said it poetic.

But please don’t have kids.

• silkyjohnson21 - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Regardless of how you want to rationalize it, you’re just a pussy.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM

You calling me a pussy on the internet upset me so much I almost kicked my dog.

But then I realized that you’re probably 5’3″ and you’re just posting tough to make your testicles feel bigger.

So I apologized to my dog and we both felt sorrow for you.

So thank you. Your small testicles have brought me and my dog closer together. Good luck with your aggression and general feelings of inadequacy though. We’ll be rooting for you.

• theorygeezer - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:00 AM

You really should not traumatize your pooch over some dude with small nads.

15. beelza - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM

He got lucky, were he in Detroit he would’ve been shot in the face. Makes me long for home.

16. wpjohnson - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Well, I am beginning to understand why the Rangers are choking. Maybe with a little more discipline and rest they could win a few games for a change.

17. dumbassgreg - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

wonder if this has anything to do with rumor nathan is available in trade

18. justindamiano - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

He actually came into my place of work and I had to kick him out for being trashed…. I didnt know who he was, so I started getting him into a taxi. when I opened the door behind him he turned around and swung at me. so I ended up taking him to the ground at which point he started sobbing and drooling all over him self. I asked for his id and he wouldnt give it to me so I called the police. after calling the police he decided to give me his id where I saw a Texas Ranger access card and his id saying his name. at that point I made sure that he just relaxed and got in a cab. So all this to say that this is not the first time he got cocky and loud and ended up hurt… it sounds like the Rangers need to teach him a lesson on respect.

19. toddymarzaroli - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

cameras, and all kinds of goodies that we all want for 50-90% off, I don’t know

cards for 48Why would I even think about shopping anyþlace else?

20. texasrug - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:10 PM

That’s three rangers that are playing decent maybe the whole team needs to go out and get in a bar fight

21. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Cops also say the Jays got ROBBED from the marlins and they are looking into that shit!! I don’t blame them!!!

22. fooloof - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Now we know why there was no description of the “suspects.”

23. louhudson23 - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Wow,so all blacks are bad asses?..can they each and everyone dance really good and play hoops really good,too? Stupidly broad statements are just stupid,no matter who says them…..And for the record,the answer is no …..they aren’t and no they can’t …..

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM

No Lou. Not all black people can play basketball. When I joined the Army I was stunned at the amount of black dudes that could barely walk and chew gum at the same time while on a basketball court. Of course…being from Indiana everyone (and their momma) could play. Didn’t matter what ethnicity. So my expectations were very high.
      But wow…when I graduated basic training and went full time it was some of the most comical games of basketball I ever played (during tryouts). Most of these dudes were also racist.
      In their defense…I don’t know that they were around many white dudes prior to joining the Army. And I know there weren’t around any that could play ball.
      Dudes got all jealous and absolutely froze me out until I quit and was asked/required to re-join the team. Our coach was a 6′-10” black dude from Houston, TX. He set them straight.
      He said if we are gonna win any games I will be the one bringing the ball up and running the offense. After they lost their prejudices they turned out to be some of the most fun dudes I ever hung out with. It just took about 3 months to get past that.

Qualification: I was a wrestler during basketball season. That should tell you how bad these dudes were. While also illustrating how solid basketball is in the state of Indiana.

24. louhudson23 - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Wow,so all blacks are bad asses?..can they each and everyone dance really good and play hoops really good,too? Stupidly broad statements are just stupid,no matter who says them…..And for the record,the answer is no …..they aren’t and no, they can’t …..

25. copyprince114 - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM

He should have waited for them in the dark and shot them in self defense. Make sure no one saw. The jury would have believed him. And all the whites

Three legends off to Cooperstown