Jul 29, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
Another day, another lack of Biogenesis discipline. But we’ll take this Blue Jays minor leaguer:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Toronto Blue Jays Minor League outfielder Brian Van Kirk has received a 50-game suspension without pay after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse. The suspension of Van Kirk, who is currently on the roster of the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats of the Eastern League, is effective immediately.
Van Kirk is a 21st round draft pick from 2008 who turns 28 in two weeks. He gets on base at a decent clip and has some flashes of power but has never made it above Double-A.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)