Jul 29, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
Another day, another lack of Biogenesis discipline. But we’ll take this Blue Jays minor leaguer:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Toronto Blue Jays Minor League outfielder Brian Van Kirk has received a 50-game suspension without pay after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse. The suspension of Van Kirk, who is currently on the roster of the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats of the Eastern League, is effective immediately.
Van Kirk is a 21st round draft pick from 2008 who turns 28 in two weeks. He gets on base at a decent clip and has some flashes of power but has never made it above Double-A.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 59
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 52
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 21
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29