Jul 29, 2013, 6:16 PM EST
David Ortiz‘s dugout tirade in Saturday’s game against the Orioles might yet see him fined, but it won’t result in any sort of suspension, an MLB source told CSN New England’s Maureen Mullen on Monday.
It seems like a ludicrous decision given Ortiz’s recklessness in taking a bat to a dugout phone and potentially injuring teammates. If it had been anyone other than Ortiz, it’s a safe guess the Red Sox would have taken the initiative and benched him for a day or two, if not officially suspending him. But they weren’t willing to risk their biggest bat turning on them.
Ortiz followed up the tantrum by going 4-for-4 with a homer in Sunday’s game. He’s again in the lineup as a DH tonight.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)