Jul 29, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
David Ortiz‘s dugout tirade in Saturday’s game against the Orioles might yet see him fined, but it won’t result in any sort of suspension, an MLB source told CSN New England’s Maureen Mullen on Monday.
It seems like a ludicrous decision given Ortiz’s recklessness in taking a bat to a dugout phone and potentially injuring teammates. If it had been anyone other than Ortiz, it’s a safe guess the Red Sox would have taken the initiative and benched him for a day or two, if not officially suspending him. But they weren’t willing to risk their biggest bat turning on them.
Ortiz followed up the tantrum by going 4-for-4 with a homer in Sunday’s game. He’s again in the lineup as a DH tonight.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)