Jul 29, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
David Ortiz‘s dugout tirade in Saturday’s game against the Orioles might yet see him fined, but it won’t result in any sort of suspension, an MLB source told CSN New England’s Maureen Mullen on Monday.
It seems like a ludicrous decision given Ortiz’s recklessness in taking a bat to a dugout phone and potentially injuring teammates. If it had been anyone other than Ortiz, it’s a safe guess the Red Sox would have taken the initiative and benched him for a day or two, if not officially suspending him. But they weren’t willing to risk their biggest bat turning on them.
Ortiz followed up the tantrum by going 4-for-4 with a homer in Sunday’s game. He’s again in the lineup as a DH tonight.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 7
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 15
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)