Jul 29, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
David Ortiz‘s dugout tirade in Saturday’s game against the Orioles might yet see him fined, but it won’t result in any sort of suspension, an MLB source told CSN New England’s Maureen Mullen on Monday.
It seems like a ludicrous decision given Ortiz’s recklessness in taking a bat to a dugout phone and potentially injuring teammates. If it had been anyone other than Ortiz, it’s a safe guess the Red Sox would have taken the initiative and benched him for a day or two, if not officially suspending him. But they weren’t willing to risk their biggest bat turning on them.
Ortiz followed up the tantrum by going 4-for-4 with a homer in Sunday’s game. He’s again in the lineup as a DH tonight.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)