David Ortiz avoids suspension after tantrum

Jul 29, 2013, 6:16 PM EST

David Ortiz Getty Images

David Ortiz‘s dugout tirade in Saturday’s game against the Orioles might yet see him fined, but it won’t result in any sort of suspension, an MLB source told CSN New England’s Maureen Mullen on Monday.

It seems like a ludicrous decision given Ortiz’s recklessness in taking a bat to a dugout phone and potentially injuring teammates. If it had been anyone other than Ortiz, it’s a safe guess the Red Sox would have taken the initiative and benched him for a day or two, if not officially suspending him. But they weren’t willing to risk their biggest bat turning on them.

Ortiz followed up the tantrum by going 4-for-4 with a homer in Sunday’s game. He’s again in the lineup as a DH tonight.

1. Old Gator - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM

What a relief. Can you imagine the tantrum he would have thrown if he had been suspended?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Frankly, I think that he should be traded for prospects. Ortiz and Pedroia are the players on the team that would be in the most demand and Pedroia has a team friendly contract. The Red Sox should sell high on Ortiz.

• apkyletexas - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Anyone who has ever watched a 16-year-old girl destroy her cell phone when she’s mad at her boyfriend knows the truth – Big Papi’s drama was pretty weak in comparison.

Which brings up the real question – it’s 2013. Who the hell puts a great big corded phone on the wall? Where do you even buy something like that? Papi probably did them a favor – time to upgrade the 50-year-old communication equipment.

2. scoobies05 - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM

thats ridiculous. he destroyed property and also nearly maimed his teammate. should be supended for at least 1 game

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

And also, I think I saw him cut across your lawn the other day.

Wearing his baseball cap backwards.

And listening to hippity hop music. Music? Hah.More like noise, amirite? It was probably that damn Snoopy Dog Dog.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Hey! I agree that he should get a time out and it would’ve been nice if the team handled it so MLB wouldn’t have to. He could’ve hurt somebody and I don’t think his teammates were amused. Can you go around breaking stuff at your office? This is a nice example of getting away w/ nonsense b/c you’re a good player. And, I like Ortiz — but he needs to sit a day on this one.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Can you go around breaking stuff at your office?

No, but I can’t throw an object 90mph+ at a coworker’s head without being charged with assault either. So that doesn’t really apply.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Anytime anyone has a fit of anger someone COULD get hurt. And if they DO get hurt, then a punishment is warranted.

When a player snaps a bat over his knee a shard COULD put the eye of the batboy out.

And for the most part, yeah, I can break stuff anytime I want as long as I accept responsibility for it and pay for the damages.

My brother-in-law LITERALLY destroyed a phone when his estranged wife kept calling his work and fucking with him about custody and stuff….he pulled the phone off the wall and smashed it.

I don’t think they even made him pay for the phone, his boss blocked his wife’s calls, and everything was fine…..he also happens to produce in his job at roughly 180% of his quota.

So if Alfredo Aceves smashed a phone, maybe there’d be some outrage.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Oh, come on. I wouldn’t want to work at y’all’s offices then. Ortiz is old enough to know better. I’m not all “off with his head” here. One day is not that much — but it’s enough to say check yourself. I’d rather have him get a time out than a fine. You’d think the team would want to protect all of their investments.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Who was it who attacked a water cooler a few years back?

Was he suspended?

And, going further….I guess players should be suspended for dumping gatorade on coaches. That’s an assault.

Also, it can potentially lead to injury:

That coach could have been seriously injured. Or even KILLED!

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Dial down the drama now, dude. I’m not overreacting to a collision at the plate or something. Unintentional or accidental incidents are one thing but letting your temper get the better of you with a bat in your hand is something that should get you a little cooling off time. This was not his first rodeo. He’s better than that.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Dial down the drama?

Look at the first post in this string.

“He destroyed property” that STILL WORKS and he or the team will no doubt pay for, and that no one has any sentimentality about….I doubt anyone even know who OWNS the precious phone in question.

And he “nearly maimed a teammate”….He DIDN’T maim a teammate. At what proximity do we decide it becomes outrageous? If Dustin was sitting a foot further away is that ok? Two feet?

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Do you think I give a shit about the phone? He probably did the Orioles a favor forcing them to upgrade.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM

That’s the point.

NOBODY should be upset about the phone except the owner, who no doubt doesn’t care as long as it’s replaced.

And maybe Pedroia who ended up with pieces of the phone on him and maybe with a little tinkle in his trousers judging by the way he dove for cover.

That’s an issue between David and Dustin though. Not a reason for punishment.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

It’s not about the phone!

Argh. Have a nice evening.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM

It’s not about ANYTHING.

That’s the point. The “property damaged” is pointless, and no one was hurt or even touched.

There’s nothing to be outraged about except him throwing a hissy fit (despite the fact that we want players to be emotional, but to always be in control, which they generally are).

• kea12152001 - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM

It is always being stressed the Baseball is a business. To me anyone who is violent in the workplace; in this case during the game, they should follow the discipline policy. Violence or the threat of violence should never be tolerated. It should be investigated. h should be drug tested and suspended pending the results of drug testing, and the results should based upon the rules of MLB.

3. tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM

The only reasonable punishment is a suspension equal to the length of the phone being out of order.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM

When you’re done, did you ever do Thomas Hayden Church for me?

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I’ve never done Thomas Hayden Church for anyone.

And you’re lucky I saw this (if you consider that luck).

This one is going to get weird….but he was on Wings with Amy Yasbeck who was on an episode of The Cosby Show (with her husband John Ritter, although I don’t know off the top of my head if they were actually married at the time) and Lisa Bonet was on the Cosby Show and in Angel Heart with Robert DeNiro which brings us to Sleepers.

(I don’t expect people to know who Amy Yasbeck is, but I have actually had a crush on her since Problem Child)

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I could see why you like her. Redheads, huh?

4. southofheaven81 - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM

MLB: Acting like a crazy violent lunatic in the dugout during a game>>>being a drug user (see also: Cobb, Ty)

5. tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

For the record, “potentially injuring a teammate” can also be written “not injuring a teammate”.

• blacksables - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM

For the record, “attempted murder” can also be written “not killing anyone”.

Guess no crime was committed, huh?

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Except that attempted murder encompasses assault, battery and also criminal intent.

• hittfamily - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Assault, battery, and criminal intent. You mean like what Papi did to his team mates, security personnel, and the umpire?

When I was 12, I put a fire cracker in a mailbox. I was grounded for months, because property was destoyed, and someone could have gotten very hurt. Papi: property was destroyed, and someone could have gotten very hurt.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

The only thing he assaulted and battered was an inanimate object.

I can’t even believe what a dumb fucking “think of the children” whinefest a guy smashing a phone is becoming here.

Ridiculous.

• hittfamily - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

So if you go out in public, scream at someone, then take a 3 pound bat and smash something with shards landing on people standing nearby, you don’t think you would be arrested for assault and battery? Try it. I bet you are wrong.

Obviously Ortiz should not be arrested, but he should be suspended from work.

• hittfamily - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM

There was penty of Orioles personnel standing near the incident, as well as camera men, security, and ball boys. If a chunk of Ortiz’ bat or the box itself hit one of them, he would have been arrested in the dugout.

“During a minor league A-level baseball game, pitcher Julio Castillo of the Peoria Chiefs was ejected, arrested and charged with assault. After a heated argument with the Dayton Dragons manager which was broken up by the umpire, Castillo threw the ball at the Dragons dugout, but the ball struck a fan, Chris McCarthy, who was knocked out and had to be immediately taken to hospital; this incident resulted in a 10 minute bench-clearing brawl, and the game was delayed for one hour and nine minutes. Castillo was arraigned the next day, held on a $50,000 bond, and had to surrender his passport.[114] On August 6, 2009, Castillo was sentenced to 30 days in jail, 3 years of probation, and was sent to anger management”

“Rangers pitcher Frank Francisco was ejected, arrested, and charged with assault and battery after he threw a metal chair into the stands that hit a fan, Jennifer Bueno, breaking her nose and causing a gash which required stitches.[88] Francisco was released on $15,000 bail and suspended for the remainder of the season by MLB. He pleaded no contest to the charges, and was sentenced to anger management classes and a work program; in 2007, he settled a civil suit brought by Bueno.”

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I’m no longer responding to you because you are clearly defective.

• drewzducks - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Wow, with a name like yours you couldn’t even properly whack a mailbox ? Hittfamily is now officially Mishittmailbox.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM

That shard JUST missed Pedroia.

C’mon…we’re both Sox fans but you cannot tell me that Ortiz wasn’t completely out of control and endangering his teammates. A bat shard to the neck could kill someone for Chrissake.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:07 PM

The shard?

OF PLASTIC?

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM

You realize the bat didn’t break, right?

That was plastic debris from the phone.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I’m talking about shards of wood.

It’s not like Ortiz was in control enough to know where each piece of debris was flying. ANYTHING could have happened.

The bat could have splintered and wooden shards could’ve gone everywhere. Someone could have been standing behind him and taken a bat to the back of the head.

It’s not about what did happen…it’s about what could have happened. It was reckless endangerment and the fact that you don’t really think it’s serious just because you’re a Red Sox fan is pretty sad.

You can take homerism too far.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:15 PM

And a meteor could have hit the stadium and then everyone would be dead.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Every time a pitcher throws a pitch it COULD go wild and kill someone in the crowd. Every time a player swings a bat it COULD splinter into 5 pieces and hit every member of the infield in the jugular and they COULD all die.

Those things DIDN’T HAPPEN.

If you start punishing people for things that COULD happen, you’ll be in jail the second you pull your fucking car onto the street.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I don’t even know why I’m wasting time replying to someone who can’t tell the difference between an unbroken bat and bat shards flying everywhere like shrapnel from the Bath Massacre.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Do you have trouble reading?

My entire reply was based a HYPOTHETICAL situation. That means that clearly the bat didn’t shatter.

I figured the word “COULD” would have tipped you off. The fact that you missed the whole point of a very straightforward post is troubling.

You’ve made up your mind already, so forget it.

• 18thstreet - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Maybe he was just angry about John Farrell’s bullpen usage patterns. No one’s mentioned that.

A suspension was probably called for. He didn’t one. I don’t care.

• hittfamily - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Your argument of “no one was inured, so no big deal” is a really fucking stupid one bro. That is why you have to say “I’m done responding to you” to everybody.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Your argument of “that shard JUST missed Pedroia” and then suggesting you knew it was plastic and not a shard of the bat (which you suggested it was) and then saying you were speaking in hypothetical about what the shard was MADE of AND what THAT hypothetical shard could do makes no sense.

He could have damaged a support beam with the bat and then the dugout roof could have collapsed and everyone would be dead.

I get it now. Clearly a suspension is deserved.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I guarantee you that if it were any other player on any other team, you wouldn’t be treating this so glibly.

I’m a die-hard Sox fan but Ortiz was out of line…I don’t care how much an incompetent asshole that umpire was.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM

You know why so many Red Sox players have beards?

Because with all these multi-blade razors on the market, ingrown hairs are at an all time high.

And they recognize the danger in sitting in the dugout, you go to scratch your face, pick at an ingrown hair and then BAM! The pus shoots right in the eye of a guy just as he is starting up the dugout steps, about to put on his batters helmet. He flails around, and falls right on the back of his skull without the protection of his helmet.

Now you got a vegetable on your hand.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM

You know nothing of my opinions, or my “homerism” (you should read my posts sometime….I am rarely upbeat on the subject of the Red Sox)….frankly I would defend A-Rod in a situation like this (and make fun of him as well).

I also never defended his behavior. He acted like a five year old.

But suggesting he should be suspended, and getting into the hyperbole of potential outcomes is regoddamndiculous.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I *NEVER* said he should be suspended…only that he was out of line and out of control. That’s essentially a factual statement.

If you can’t at least concede to THAT…

6. banger60 - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

LOLOL!

• nbjays - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:53 PM

That’s the most thoughtful comment I’ve seen from you yet, Banger. Well done!

7. buffalo65 - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Clearly a case of Roid rage. Doc must have mixed up his meds.

• hittfamily - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM

He was pissed that the new twinkies are smaller.

• rje49 - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Of course they’re smaller. Usually the strategy to deceive us is a planned product shortage for a short time, then when it returns, it’s smaller. That way you can’t compare the difference. We’re so easily fooled, aren’t we? And hey, even if we do notice the difference, what can we do about it?

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Did you know Cadbury Creme Eggs used to be the size of a watermelon?

8. buffalo65 - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Clearly a case of Roid rage. Doc must have mixed up his meds.

9. tsuscrumhalf - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Douche = big papi.

10. sisqsage - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:02 PM

In the lipreading words of one Joe Maddon: unbleepingbelievable.

11. ienjoysensi - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Tfbuckfutter. I gotta agree man this is ridiculous , it was a phone get over it . Nothing happened. Case solved .

12. cackalackyank - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Wow, so this is how professionals behave with no consequences. Sweet! I’m off to renovate the office I work at!

13. onbucky96 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Behold! Roid Rage in all its glory! Seriously though, who’s deciding punishment here? Urban Meyer?

14. mtr75 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Does Big Papi have pictures of Selig doing coke off nude underage hookers or something?

15. 8man - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Totally out of line. That was an epic meltdown and a ridiculous display. He needs to miss time to send a message to other players. Because you know whatever they fine him, it’ll be small in comparison to what he makes. I hope he at least apologized to his team mates and the Os for the endangerment of others and the destruction of property.

16. jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM

He destroyed Red Sox property and didn’t go off on an MLB employee. This is a team matter.

• timsizzle83 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Since when is a dugout phone in camden yards redsox property?

17. deathmonkey41 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Not surprised- Selig did all he could to protect the Red Sox and noteably Big Papi during that sham steroid invesigation called the Mitchell Report. What makes you think he wouldn’t protect them again.

18. cohnjusack - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM

…and yet Yadier Molina gets suspended after throwing his helmet down in frustration when called out at first.
    Makes total sense.

• cohnjusack - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Just occurred to me that he got ejected for throwing his helmet down and suspended for his subsequent argument with the umpire. Yes sir…I am an idiot that way.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM

The world needs more of your kind of idiot then.

19. anxovies - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Classic roid rage but MLB won’t do anything because the guy is so lovable.

20. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I bet bluejay fans wish MLB would suspend their team from having to play anymore games this season, lol

21. eagles512 - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Should have been 3 games

22. timsizzle83 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Def warranted a suspension, who cares how it effects the saux? I’m sure if the patriots could they’d have hernandez play this season but hey the league does not exist for ortizs benefit. The guy is a totally disrespectful p.o.s, he feigned doing it again the next game and made it all out to be a joke. You don’t come into another teams house and smash stuff up and be disrespectful, its called sportsmanship, which he has zero.

23. theskinsman - Jul 30, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Bull. Amusing to read the weeping hysteria of the wimps calling for Ortiz to be banished for being a man.
    He got shafted by a dismally incompetent umpire,and lost his temper.
    Now if he took the bat to the umpire,I’d say give him a day suspension.

24. rickdobrydney - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Obviously PED – induced rage—- the guy is obviously cheating — someone could definitely been hurt there—- and no suspension ??? Ridiculous —-

25. stlouis1baseball - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM

This dude is seemingly untouchable. Can anyone explain why that is?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester