Jul 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
There was plenty of skepticism when MLB filed a lawsuit against Biogenesis and Anthony Bosch earlier this year, but they scored an important victory earlier today. Julie K. Brown of the Miami Herald has the story:
After pondering such thorny issues as stale cookies and a Major League baseball player who used the alias “Al Capone” to buy performance enhancing drugs, a Miami-Dade Circuit Court judge denied a motion to toss out the sport’s civil lawsuit against Biogenesis, the South Florida doping pipeline to baseball players and other professional athletes — as well as collegiate and high school players.
Monday’s decision, by Judge Ronald Dresnick, means that Major League Baseball can use the legal system to force witnesses to give depositions that may substantiate Biogenesis founder Tony Bosch’s story that his clinic supplied banned substances to high-profile major leaguers for many years.
MLB sued Biogenesis, Anthony Bosch, and other associates back in March, alleging that they interfered with players’ contracts by giving them performance-enhancing drugs. Bosch has since agreed to cooperate with MLB’s investigation. In return, he’ll be dropped from the lawsuit and receive help with his legal fees.
Those subpoenaed by MLB include former University of Miami pitching coach Lazaro Collazo, who is accused of acting as a middleman for the clinic. While he isn’t a part of MLB’s lawsuit against Biogenesis, he was among those arguing for its dismissal today. However, Dresnick’s ruling means that he could now be forced to talk under oath about what he knows. Alex Rodriguez‘s cousin, Yuri Sucart, was also issued a subpoena by MLB.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20