Florida judge denies motion to throw out MLB’s lawsuit against Biogenesis

Jul 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT

Clinic at Center of MLB Doping Scandal Getty Images

There was plenty of skepticism when MLB filed a lawsuit against Biogenesis and Anthony Bosch earlier this year, but they scored an important victory earlier today. Julie K. Brown of the Miami Herald has the story:

After pondering such thorny issues as stale cookies and a Major League baseball player who used the alias “Al Capone” to buy performance enhancing drugs, a Miami-Dade Circuit Court judge denied a motion to toss out the sport’s civil lawsuit against Biogenesis, the South Florida doping pipeline to baseball players and other professional athletes — as well as collegiate and high school players.

Monday’s decision, by Judge Ronald Dresnick, means that Major League Baseball can use the legal system to force witnesses to give depositions that may substantiate Biogenesis founder Tony Bosch’s story that his clinic supplied banned substances to high-profile major leaguers for many years.

MLB sued Biogenesis, Anthony Bosch, and other associates back in March, alleging that they interfered with players’ contracts by giving them performance-enhancing drugs. Bosch has since agreed to cooperate with MLB’s investigation. In return, he’ll be dropped from the lawsuit and receive help with his legal fees.

Those subpoenaed by MLB include former University of Miami pitching coach Lazaro Collazo, who is accused of acting as a middleman for the clinic. While he isn’t a part of MLB’s lawsuit against Biogenesis, he was among those arguing for its dismissal today. However, Dresnick’s ruling means that he could now be forced to talk under oath about what he knows. Alex Rodriguez‘s cousin, Yuri Sucart, was also issued a subpoena by MLB.

1. chill1184 - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM

“In the cold offices of MLB, Bud Selig puts his hands to together and says…….excellent.”

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Then follows up with … “Release the hounds!!”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Smithers, into the Spruce Moose!

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I just knew that Al Capone’s name would be dragged through the mud in this case.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Big Al had enough testosterone that he did not need the artificial variety; however, he did peddle an illegal substance that is used by current baseball players.

3. sdelmonte - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Al Capone is better than Carlos Danger.

• jwbiii - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Slate has a Weiner name generator. Have you tried it? Mine is Maximiliano Distress. My wife’s is Carmela Sly. If I could easily change my handle to Max Distress, I think I would.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Bernardo Dynamite here.

• jwbiii - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Napolean’s suave older brother, no doubt.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Jose Trouble :(

(Really hope paperlions doesn’t see this.)

• proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Big Dick. (Truth in advertising as I am tall and my middle name is Richard.)

• sfbookreviews - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Hello, my name is Victor Smash. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

• lazlosother - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Benito Violence checking in.

• umrguy42 - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Eduardo Furtive if I go with my (usual) shortened first name. Maximiliano Smash if I go with the full one. Not sure which I like better :p

4. coloradogolfcoupons - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Gustavo Kill…and I probably will if I read one more Arod story that doesn’t have “Banned for life” or “Suspended indefinitely” as the title.

5. ctony1216 - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:29 AM

MLB is suing Biogenisis (but not Bosch, the owner of Biogenisis) for “interfering with players’ contracts” by selling them PEDs.

So if a player’s contract says that a player can’t go skiing, can a MLB team sue a ski resort if a player goes skiing and tears an ACL?

This is the strangest thing I’ve ever heard of, and after reading the Miami Herald story, it’s still hard to figure what the case is based on.

6. jayscarpa - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Wait. Didn’t I read “Major League Baseball’s lawsuit against Biogenesis should be laughed out of court”? Who can you believe these days

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5466)