Jul 29, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Frank Castillo, who pitched 13 seasons in the majors for the Cubs, Red Sox, and four other teams, drowned Saturday in a lake near his home in Arizona.
KVIA-TV in Texas reports that “Castillo was on a pontoon boat with a friend when he decided to go swimming” and “Castillo’s friend reportedly called for help when Castillo did not come back up out of the water.”
His family issued a statement, which you can read on KVIA’s website. Castillo was 44 years old and leaves behind two children.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)