Jul 29, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
While the White Sox are reportedly telling teams that they would prefer to keep veteran right-hander Jake Peavy and “build around him,” Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers hasn’t given up hope. In fact, he’s trying to get creative in order to land him in a trade.
Arizona has been shopping Ian Kennedy and Jason Kubel, which wouldn't free enough $ to get Kevin Towers' fave Jake Peavy—
Peter Gammons (@pgammo) July 29, 2013
Towers was the general manager of the Padres from 1996-2009, so he has a long history with Peavy. He was calling the shots when Peavy was traded to the White Sox at the deadline four years ago. Now he’s trying to lay the groundwork for a reunion.
It’s worth noting that the Diamondbacks would be selling pretty low on Kennedy and Kubel. Kennedy owns a disappointing 5.22 ERA over 20 starts this season, but he had a 3.55 ERA in 98 starts over his first three seasons in Arizona. Meanwhile, Kubel is batting just .234 with five home runs and a .668 OPS over 231 plate appearances this season and has missed time with a quad injury. Kennedy is under team control through 2015 while Kubel is owed $7.5 million next season and has a $1 million buyout on a $7.5 million mutual option for 2015.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 0
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 43
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)