Jul 29, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
While the White Sox are reportedly telling teams that they would prefer to keep veteran right-hander Jake Peavy and “build around him,” Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers hasn’t given up hope. In fact, he’s trying to get creative in order to land him in a trade.
Arizona has been shopping Ian Kennedy and Jason Kubel, which wouldn't free enough $ to get Kevin Towers' fave Jake Peavy—
Peter Gammons (@pgammo) July 29, 2013
Towers was the general manager of the Padres from 1996-2009, so he has a long history with Peavy. He was calling the shots when Peavy was traded to the White Sox at the deadline four years ago. Now he’s trying to lay the groundwork for a reunion.
It’s worth noting that the Diamondbacks would be selling pretty low on Kennedy and Kubel. Kennedy owns a disappointing 5.22 ERA over 20 starts this season, but he had a 3.55 ERA in 98 starts over his first three seasons in Arizona. Meanwhile, Kubel is batting just .234 with five home runs and a .668 OPS over 231 plate appearances this season and has missed time with a quad injury. Kennedy is under team control through 2015 while Kubel is owed $7.5 million next season and has a $1 million buyout on a $7.5 million mutual option for 2015.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)