Jul 29, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
While the White Sox are reportedly telling teams that they would prefer to keep veteran right-hander Jake Peavy and “build around him,” Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers hasn’t given up hope. In fact, he’s trying to get creative in order to land him in a trade.
Towers was the general manager of the Padres from 1996-2009, so he has a long history with Peavy. He was calling the shots when Peavy was traded to the White Sox at the deadline four years ago. Now he’s trying to lay the groundwork for a reunion.
It’s worth noting that the Diamondbacks would be selling pretty low on Kennedy and Kubel. Kennedy owns a disappointing 5.22 ERA over 20 starts this season, but he had a 3.55 ERA in 98 starts over his first three seasons in Arizona. Meanwhile, Kubel is batting just .234 with five home runs and a .668 OPS over 231 plate appearances this season and has missed time with a quad injury. Kennedy is under team control through 2015 while Kubel is owed $7.5 million next season and has a $1 million buyout on a $7.5 million mutual option for 2015.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)