Jul 29, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
While the White Sox are reportedly telling teams that they would prefer to keep veteran right-hander Jake Peavy and “build around him,” Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers hasn’t given up hope. In fact, he’s trying to get creative in order to land him in a trade.
Towers was the general manager of the Padres from 1996-2009, so he has a long history with Peavy. He was calling the shots when Peavy was traded to the White Sox at the deadline four years ago. Now he’s trying to lay the groundwork for a reunion.
It’s worth noting that the Diamondbacks would be selling pretty low on Kennedy and Kubel. Kennedy owns a disappointing 5.22 ERA over 20 starts this season, but he had a 3.55 ERA in 98 starts over his first three seasons in Arizona. Meanwhile, Kubel is batting just .234 with five home runs and a .668 OPS over 231 plate appearances this season and has missed time with a quad injury. Kennedy is under team control through 2015 while Kubel is owed $7.5 million next season and has a $1 million buyout on a $7.5 million mutual option for 2015.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 35
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 4
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)