Jimmy Rollins isn’t willing to waive his no-trade clause

Jul 29, 2013, 11:19 AM EST

rollins fielding ap AP

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and the Phillies have finally come around to the idea that they should be sellers at the trade deadline, but don’t expect to see Jimmy Rollins leaving Philadelphia.

As a veteran player with 10-and-5 rights (10 total years of experience, including at least five with the same team) Rollins has the ability to block any trade and the shortstop told David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News that he plans to exercise that veto power:

There are still a couple things I would like to be number one on the lists of in this organization, so until those things are done, I’m not going anywhere.

Rollins has spent his entire 14-year career in Philadelphia and is signed for $11 million in 2014, with a 2015 option that vests for $11 million if he stays healthy and continues to play every day. All of which is why it’s hardly surprising he wants to remain on the Phillies’ sinking ship, although citing his place on the franchise’s all-time leaderboards is an interesting reasoning to give.

It’s also worth noting that Rollins is a 34-year-old shortstop with a big salary who’s hitting just .259 with five homers and a career-worst .668 OPS in 105 games, so it’s not as if the Phillies would get a huge return for him anyway.

1. cohnjusack - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM

He has a shot at being #1 in:

Games: 507 behind Mike Schmidt. — Needs 3 more (healthy) seasons
    At Bats: 464 behind Mike Schmidt –Should do it next year
    Plate Appearances: 1387 behind Mike Schmidt: — 2 more seasons
    Runs: 283 behind Mike Schmidt — 3 more seasons
    Hits: 107 behind Mike Schmidt — Next year
    2B: 1 behind Ed Delahanty: This year
    HR: 350 behind Mike Schmidt: –about 30 more season.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Where does he rank on the list of Bold Predictions?

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM

World Championship Rings: (1) Tied with Adam Eaton. 1 Behind Patrick Brian Burrell.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM

You can call him selfish, lazy, tempermental, etc.

He’s never, ever, ever, been connected with PED’s, rock head.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My mother called me a Rockhead once…once….

• ultraman69 - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM

s&m bondage pics: pat the bat 2 – rollins 0

• mrdry14 - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM

He had 1 good year, MVP…cough…..HGH…cough. Every other year he’s hit 260. Complains about the fans and doesn’t hustle. He won’t waive his no trade to save the embarasment of not having any team interested in him.

• psuorioles - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Philly fans could have Mickey Mantle on their team and they would still find a way to complain…

• dennisund - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM

@psuorioles: Chase Utley is untouchable to the fans. That alone shows you misunderstand more than you realize.

• mundial8 - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

He’s 5 away from Bowa on CS (94 to 89)…sigh

2. therealtrenches - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Rollins puts his spot on the Phillies team records list above helping the team.

In the Papelbon thread, scottheskeptic wrote that “Rollins is too self-interested to care.”

You got it right, dude: spot the eff on.

• cohnjusack - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, that’s so selfish of him to hurt the team but giving up his no trade clause.

I guess he should have said “I really want to help the Phillies win, and the best way for me to do that is by playing for the Reds.” Is that the response you’re looking for? He wants to stay in the city that he’s played his whole career in…why are you chiding him about it?

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I love how “I want to be Mr. Philly” becomes “he’s self-interested” in a way that doesn’t include contributing to the team.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I’m sure it was just the way he said it. Mentioning lists sounds like his ticking off boxes in a mechanical way.

• therealtrenches - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM

@cohnjusack:

All he had to say was “I love this organizaiton, I love this town, I love the fans. I have lots of good memories here, and I want to finish my career here,” that’s all. It’s not that hard.

But responding by describing how his ambition to climb the personal stats lists at a time like this just suggests what so many other things he has said over the years also suggest: that he just doesn’t get it.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I kinda feel like if you want him to love you, phans, this is not the way to do it. I mean, maybe you snagged your wives with smooth talk about how selfish they are, but generally, I think “you’re a selfish jerk” is considered a turn off.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

historio, I don’t want him to love me, I want him to hustle. While I have never been a fan of Rollins’ approach to the game, I have appreciated his talent. This is another bad contract from Amaro that is, in my opinion, now hampering the team.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM

And, yet, commenters here have indicated that they’d be happy if he’d said he loved the city/fans and wanted to stay with them instead. That’s about warm fuzzies, not performance. If you want him to play well, why would you be mad that he wants to set records? It seems strange.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

As I indicated below, he is the tenured member of the clubhouse, and therefore the, “leader.” His departure is part of the sea-change in culture needed, and I cite the movement of Abreu in 2006 as precedent – growing through subtraction.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

That, I can understand, scott. The selfishness thing, though, is weird.

• phillyupperdecker - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I wonder what winning the World Series in 08 did to this groups drive and desire to win. It sounds like Jimmy is in “me” mode now that he has a ring and the 08′ will be forever loved in Philly.

3. gothapotamus90210 - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM

he should have said due to his love for the organization, the fans and the city. even if it came off disingenuous, it’s better than sounding selfish to merely accumulate stats

• therealtrenches - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Thank you.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM

It’s too bad his isn’t self-effasing and humble like Pete Rose in trying to be a legend of the franchise.

4. stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM

It’s interesting that he would forgo a potential post season berth (perhaps even a WS title) for the chance to finish #1 on a few of the organizations statistics. I find it odd even.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM

My guess is that his attitude is “Been there, Done that”. Since the odds of getting another ring are small anyway he’s going for the personal glory which is more under his control anyway.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I hear what you are saying FC. I truly do. But guys routinely leave late in their careers for a chance to pursue another title. This is mind…there are 3 teams in the NL Central that could use him (perhaps).
        And the Tigers are gonna’ need a SS when theirs goes down with the Biogenises virus.

5. tcclark - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM

we need to hear how he said this. I expect that it was a little tounge and cheek. even if it wasnt, theres nothing wrong with wanting to be one of the greatest players in your teams history

6. scottychicago - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM

he’s put his time and they gave him a no.- trade clause. if he wants to stay, he should stay.

• greymares - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Put him on the bench and see how long he wants to stay. Amaro made another mistake with this signing, he still can pick it with the best but the other skills are mediocre at best. If he doesn’t play he can’t break records. He was given the bucks now show him the door. And please trade Papelbon.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Has any other team asked? Maybe the Tigers if Peralta gets suspended. Cards perhaps, though they seem to like strong defense at short? I’m trying to think of a contender where he would be a clear upgrade…

8. twpguy1964 - Jul 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM

He could be number 1 in phillies shortstops being bought out and sent packing!!! He’s yet another overpaid, lazy player

9. pheagles - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM

He’s already first in calling Phillies fans frontrunners.

10. xmatt0926x - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM

A whole lot of emotions over nothing. Would teams really be beating down the doors for him anyway? I doubt it. Even if the Phillies were to eat most of his contract I don’t see how he brings much value to any contender at this point. He’s still solid but has lost his speed and power.

I don’t know if this was a peek into his thinking but I remember a couple years back he was asked by a writer if he would take a home team discount to finish with the Phillies. His response was that he got his ring and it was going to be his last contract so the money would be important.

It wasn’t like his main focus was the desire to win as many rings at all costs. I think most of us assume any player would want a chance to win again in the twilight of their careers but not everyone thinks like that. I did find the way he put it to be surprising. It might have sounded better if he just said he valued the chance to spend his whole career with one team.

As a Phillies fan I don’t care one way or the other. There’s no real replacement in the waiting and I don’t think he’s hurting the team by refusing to go because I never thought any team would want him to begin with this late in the game.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

He hurts the team because, as the longest-tenured roster player, he is the de-facto, “leader.” Recall the sea-change that occurred when Gillick sent Abreu to the Bronx in 2006. These are the types of changes I believe to be necessary to begin the climb back to respectability.

11. jhisler - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Doesnt he already lead in most first pitch outs by a leadoff hitter?

12. insidefastball - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Jimmy Rollins has been nothing more than an overpaid, under performing, veteran who takes up roster space for the better part of 2 seasons now. Some of his recent numbers are downright awful. The Phillies wouldn’t be much worse off with the likes of Jayson Nix playing short.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester