Jul 29, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
We are told A-Rod’s Biogenesis discipline is going to come down this week. The New York Daily News reports that today may be the pivotal day in this drama. It’s when Alex Rodriguez must decide if he’s going to take an offer or fight a lifetime ban:
Armed with voluminous evidence they believe would warrant lifetime banishment, Major League Baseball officials hope to know by Monday if Alex Rodriguez will agree to a deal that would effectively end the Yankee third baseman’s career but possibly preserve a big portion of the remaining $100 million on his contract.
If Rodriguez and his representatives reject a deal, the embattled superstar’s suspension could be announced as early as late Monday or Tuesday. A source close to Rodriguez said the player was sticking to his story that he has done nothing wrong and was unwilling to cut a deal.
The offer, the Daily News believes, is a deal for a suspension which would last through the end of 2014. Which is essentially a 200+ game suspension.
I don’t know what A-Rod will do. I doubt anyone does (though his lawyers are telling people they are preparing for an appeal). But I remain skeptical that, if it goes to arbitration, Major League Baseball could actually make a lifetime ban stick in light of the fact that he’s never been disciplined under baseball’s drug rules in the past. And remember: there were reports that MLB was threatening Ryan Braun with at least a 100 game suspension and he ended up getting an offer of 65. Which he accepted.
But for us, that’s just an exercise in speculation. For A-Rod it’s a gamble. A gamble worth, potentially, a hundred million dollars.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20