No one wants Phil Hughes

Jul 29, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT

phil hughes getty Getty Images

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXsports.com “the Yankees had not received a single trade offer” for Phil Hughes as of yesterday, which is the kind of random note that makes me hope Phil Hughes doesn’t check Twitter (or HBT).

Hughes has actually been decent of late, starting 12 games with a 3.82 ERA and 56/20 K/BB ratio in 71 innings since his worst start of the season on May 15, but he continues to serve up a ton of homers and has more than five strikeouts just once in his last eight starts.

He’s also an impending free agent making $7.15 million, so even if the Yankees get a few nibbles on Hughes between now and Wednesday’s trade deadline it’s hard to imagine the return being anything significant.

1. El Bravo - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Phil, I’ll give you a 12-pack of Keystone Ice if you want to play on my 16in. softball team.

• Ben - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Hughes: “If you pick me up and drive me, you’ve got a deal!”

• El Bravo - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Fine, Phil, but since I’m driving, you only get a 6-pack of Natty Light.

• Ben - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM

“You’re a tough negotiator, but I accept your deal.” [gives up 8 home runs]

2. psousa1 - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Hughes: “Can I play shortstop?”

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I think that he belongs in a Yankee uniform.

• brahmabull71 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Says no NYY fans! Only the AL East teams are hoping he stays in NY!

4. ctony1216 - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM

When Phil Hughes starts throwing 2-seam fastballs, instead of the 4-seamers that end up in Section 203 at Yankee Stadium, his stock will start to rise. But he refuses to learn to throw a 2-seamer, despite giving up all those gopher balls. He is one stubborn dude.

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Either that or put him back in the BP. When he’s not pacing himself he can crank it up to the mid to high 90s regularly.

The think is he’s got good stuff but it seems every mistake he makes ends up a HR. He needs a bigger ball park.

5. Francisco (FC) - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Considering that the Braves have been linked to almost every single possible starter up for trade, it says a lot about Phil that Atlanta hasn’t bothered to call.

6. stultusmagnus - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Generation Trey! The Killer Bs!

I hate it when NY sportswriters write. So much hyperbole and BS.

7. wineman2u - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Rather surprising, actually, as right now he’s pitching better than Pettitte and CC. It was announced at the start of yesterday’s game that of the 95 hrs he’d given up since ’09, 66 were home and 29 were on the road. Make that 68 of 97 after his 4 innings . The problem isn’t so much him as it is him in the new ballpark. This guy could thrive in a bigger ballpark.

8. lazlosother - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM

This isn’t a surprise. Short term rental of a Jekyll & Hyde isn’t worth much. I wonder if NY will make him a qualifying offer or just let him walk. It’s unfortunate that he couldn’t or wouldn’t develop a third reliable pitch. It’s either fastball or slider. There isn’t a large speed differential between the two and he has no put-away pitch. If he’s just a bit off, he gets absolutely rocked.

• jwbiii - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM

If you were the Yankees, would you offer him 1/$13.5M? I wouldn’t.
      If you were Hughes, would you take it? I would.

• Kevin S. - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM

The Yankees have shown themselves to be somewhat risk-averse with these offers, but I still would give it because I think Hughes turns it down. Some team in a big ballpark will likely offer him at least $8-10 million, and his agent will strongly advise him to take a little less money on the pillow contract to go back into FA the following season coming off presumably better numbers when not pitching in the absolute worst ballpark for a RH fly-ball pitcher.

9. banger60 - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM

some Canadians really hate the Yankees, which is fine, but, how many championships does any Canadian MLB teams have?

• eskimolaser - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM

The Blue Jays won the WS in both ’92 and ’93. Maybe it’s me, but I’m not really sure what point you are trying to make.

• nbjays - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM

More than 11 American MLB teams and the same number as 5 others. In other words, less than half of all MLB teams (13) can claim more WS wins than our Canadian team.

10. Francisco (FC) - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM

No one wants Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Answering Machine: “You have no Messages. Not a single One. Not even from your Mother.”

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM

That’s just wrong, .. funny but wrong.

11. insidefastball - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Is this really a surprise? The guy is practically a lock to surrender 3 homeruns per start. The best thing he could do is go back to being a one inning reliever, where he could really let loose with his pitches. That might reduce the number of longballs he serves up.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM

The guy is practically a lock to surrender 3 homeruns per start

# of times he’s surrendered 3HR
      ’13 – 2/20
      ’12 – 2/32
      ’11 – 0/17
      ’10 – 2/31

So yes, in those 6 games out of 100 he’s a lock to give up 3 HR…

[note he's given up 2 in 21/100 games, so 1/5 games he gives up at least 2HR. Nice "lock"]

12. banger60 - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I”ll drink another one and get back later, Yo Gankees!!

13. cackalackyank - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Shocking. That’s rough treatment being that he’s a future Hall of Famer and all that other great stuff we were told about him when he was at AAA.

14. jfk69 - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Nobody wants to rent him at this time. When his free agency begins he will have plenty of suitors with large ballparks that 81 home games are played in. No head problems, good team mate, lively arm, era under 4, fairly injury free and takes every tough question after a loss. These days for a pitcher that is worth 7 to 8 million a year.

15. pjmarn6 - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Definitely one cringes when he starts a game. I remember a long time ago, there was a yankee pitcher who just gave up a lot of runs in the first and second inning and then settled down the rest of the game. I can’t remember his name. The yankees tried everything. They even had him pitch in the bullpen in simulated games for the equivalent of 1-2 innings before a game and it did no good. There are just some players who can’t adjust to a team or a ball park. Some can take the stress and be successful. Some do better in a smaller city with less stress.
    Too bad that teams can’t predict that feature of a ball player.
    I kept hoping that Hughes would turn the corner. Hope he as better luck with another team.

16. pjmarn6 - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Aaron Gleeman By the way, I enjoy your column. I like your insight and reading your views. I do consider you one of the better sports writers.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5066)