Jul 29, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Reds have inquired about the availability of Giants’ outfielder Hunter Pence. Nothing appears to be imminent, as Heyman writes that the two sides don’t “look like a match so far.”
Heyman writes that the Reds are on the lookout for a right-handed bat, so Pence would fit the bill there, but the Reds would have a bit of a logjam in their outfield when Ryan Ludwick returns from his minor league rehab assignment. Still, he’s far from a sure thing to be productive immediately following shoulder surgery.
Heyman reported earlier today that the Giants plan to make a qualifying offer to Pence before he hits free agency this winter, so the asking price in trades figures to be significant. Still, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the defending World Series champions are willing to entertain offers on their veteran players.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)