Jul 29, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Reds have inquired about the availability of Giants’ outfielder Hunter Pence. Nothing appears to be imminent, as Heyman writes that the two sides don’t “look like a match so far.”
Heyman writes that the Reds are on the lookout for a right-handed bat, so Pence would fit the bill there, but the Reds would have a bit of a logjam in their outfield when Ryan Ludwick returns from his minor league rehab assignment. Still, he’s far from a sure thing to be productive immediately following shoulder surgery.
Heyman reported earlier today that the Giants plan to make a qualifying offer to Pence before he hits free agency this winter, so the asking price in trades figures to be significant. Still, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the defending World Series champions are willing to entertain offers on their veteran players.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (126)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)