Jul 29, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Reds have inquired about the availability of Giants’ outfielder Hunter Pence. Nothing appears to be imminent, as Heyman writes that the two sides don’t “look like a match so far.”
Heyman writes that the Reds are on the lookout for a right-handed bat, so Pence would fit the bill there, but the Reds would have a bit of a logjam in their outfield when Ryan Ludwick returns from his minor league rehab assignment. Still, he’s far from a sure thing to be productive immediately following shoulder surgery.
Heyman reported earlier today that the Giants plan to make a qualifying offer to Pence before he hits free agency this winter, so the asking price in trades figures to be significant. Still, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the defending World Series champions are willing to entertain offers on their veteran players.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)