Jul 29, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
With Matt Garza now on the Rangers, Jake Peavy has emerged as one of the most popular starting pitchers on the trade block in recent days. However, the White Sox are apparently having second thoughts about dealing him.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the White Sox are now telling teams that they will keep Peavy and “build around him.” There’s always the chance that they’ll do exactly that, but this sounds like a strategy designed to get someone to increase their offer. Peavy is 32 years old and has had some injury issues in recent years, so that’s not exactly a combination you want to build around.
For what it’s worth, Joel Sherman of the New York Post was told by one executive of a team interested in Peavy that the veteran right-hander wants to be dealt. While the source says Peavy has enjoyed his time with the White Sox, he senses the club is rebuilding and wants to pitch for a contender.
Peavy, who recently returned from a rib fracture, owns a 4.28 ERA and 76/17 K/BB ratio in 80 innings over 13 starts this season. He is under contract for $14.5 million next season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)