The Rangers asked the Braves about Brian McCann? Um, OK

Jul 29, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Minnesota Twins v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

I guess you don’t get anything without asking for it. But some things you kinda figure aren’t worth the breath you had to take to ask. Rosenthal:

The Rangers’ search for offensive help is so extensive, they recently contacted the Atlanta Bravesabout a trade for McCann, according to major-league sources. The Braves, leading the NL East by 8.5 games, had no interest in trading their starting catcher, who will be a free agent at the end of the season.

As Rosenthal notes, it makes a lot of sense for the Rangers to be interested in McCann when he hits free agency this fall. But to expect the Braves to even entertain trade talk when they’re likely playoff bound and McCann is basically the biggest offensive threat on the team.

1. stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Butt…butt…what about Gattattack or Gattitude…or whatever the hell else that cheesy slogan was?

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

^^^ I see someone else around here would like to see more of the Body Issue too.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

“How about a less sexist insult?”

Really? You got “sexist” out of my other post?
        Everything doesn’t have to be sexist Philiac.
        I could have said….Thank you for the lesson “Mr.” Reynolds.

Would you have immediately jumped to “sexist” had I done that?

The only problem is…my Freshman English teacher wasn’t a MAN.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Do you really think people recognized that as your teacher’s name or would they make the connection b/c you used a female reference? Also, what makes you think that commenter isn’t a dude?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I am not concerned with them recognizing it one way or the other.
        I have responded the same way every time someone calls me out on grammar/typo’s.
        So yeah…I do expect some people to have made the connection.
        But again…it really doesn’t concern me.

I am also not concerned with them being a male or female (although I am guessing he is male). I am concerned with the way you toss around the word “sexist” though.
        Almost like you jump at the chance to call someone out for it. Even incorrectly at times.

Have a nice day! I really hope it gets better as you seem to be grumpy today.

• Reflex - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Don’t mess with my gf man. ;)

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Sorry, I didn’t realize you and the Woodpecker had a thing.

• Reflex - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Does that make you a man..?

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM

You said “gf man” and I’m not a dude, so I assumed you meant stlouis.

• Reflex - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM

You know what they say about assumptions…

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Don’t worry. He knows what happens when you make the Tigress mad.

2. stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Disclaimer:
    I am biased this morning. And jaded as well.
    Getting swept to start a brutal road trip will do that to you.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

You wanna compare brutal road trips?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Challenge taken!

We just started with (3) in Atlanta against the division leading Braves (got swept).
        Now it’s on to Pittsburgh for 5 games IN FOUR DAYS.
        Then it ends up in Cincinnati for 3 games.

I am sure I don’t have to point out the standing in the NL Central.

You’re up…

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Yeah, brutal road trips suck.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Hahaha! You just checked didn’t you Scott?

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Cruz might be suspended soon, so the Rangers have apparently asked about every power hitter in baseball. They have even asked about the availability of Ted Williams. A quick glance, indicates that the Rangers have lost 4 in a row and 8 out of their last 10.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I read that the Rangers seem to be expecting Cruz to appeal and delay it into the off-season.

• hittfamily - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I don’t get why they haven’t cashed in the Profar chip yet.

4. imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM

The Rangers are just being realistic about the Braves doing anything in the playoffs.

• Kevin Gillman - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM

You know, the Rangers can say the same thing about themselves.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Maybe but it’s not as funny, the Rangers lose World Series, while the Braves making the WS would be considered a win for the franchise these days.

• Kevin Gillman - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Well the Braves did win the 1995 World Series against my Indians. But both franchises have alot in commin, both have been perverbial favorites the last few years, and both have failed.

• biasedhomer - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:30 PM

If the Rangers get in the postseason, they would have better odds at winning the world series than the Braves.

• Kevin Gillman - Jul 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I don’t know, maybe, but I am just not blown over right now over the Rangers. They could get hot at the right time, and if so, any team can win with that kind of run, but Rangers just don’t scare me like they used to when the Indians played them. I mean the Indians just this past weekend swept the Rangers, and our pitching blew their offense away, especially in those last two games. But the Braves do have a history of not doing well in the postseason. So I guess we will see.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Oh and 2011′s 9–18 in September says hello

• El Bravo - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I’m DEFINITELY not your guy, friend.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM

lol
        Just doing a lil Calcaterra’in

Maybe the Braves win in all, it’s been a great year so far for Brave fans

• El Bravo - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM

It sure has: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jonathan-papelbon-patience-in-philadelphia-might-be-wearing-thin-072913

• illegalblues - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

at least they’re gonna make the post season! better than some train wreck teams out there this year

5. bobulated - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM

After fleecing the Braves in the Texeria trade, who can blame them for trying it again?

6. whitdog23 - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM

the last sentence isn’t even a sentence. embarrasing for the writer and editor

• dondada10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM

You’re right, but nobody likes the guy who points things like that out.

Furthermore, you really should’ve capitalized the “t” in “the” in your first sentence. Additionally, capitalize the “e” in “embarrassing.” For your information, that word has two s’s. I know, I’m nitpicking.

Oh, and one more thing, douche bag, put a period at the end of your second sentence.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Ohhhhhh! Burn!

In. Your. Face.

• El Bravo - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Burn notice!

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

That was pretty sexy.

7. tanzkommandant - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Why does this article end with an incomplete sentence?

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Craig is all verklempt

• dondada10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:30 PM

At least you were able to criticize with competent grammar.

See above.

8. stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I get embarrassed when people point out others’ typo’s, misspelled words and/or grammar errors on a motherphuqing blog. But that’s just me.

• dondada10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM

It’s not just you. It’s the non-obnoxious sector of society.

9. jadaruler - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Makes perfect sense. AJ was a miss and Tanner playing the role of “Glass Joe from Mike Tyson Punchout” was more than likely the last straw.

10. spacemaker101 - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Stupid to even ask for B-Mac

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM

But he’s not a Mac he’s a Mc

11. spacemaker101 - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Good one

12. El Bravo - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM

One for one Darvish for McCann. Doneski

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Sure…said the guy who has a bona fide stud ready to “fill in” at Catcher.

13. 13arod - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I would say freeman is having a better season

14. thevedriper - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Typos is meant as a plural, not a possessive, and thus does not need an apostrophe. Also, it appears you spelled the word “motherfucking” completely wrong. Also, according to Strunk & White’s Elements of Grammar, you should have inserted a comma after the word “But” in the second sentence.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Ummm…you forgot the quotations. You know…around my quote.
      Comma’s suck ass. But that’s also just me.

Nevertheless…thank you for lesson Mrs. Reynolds.

• historiophiliac - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

How about a less sexist insult?

15. soxpower - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Article clearly says that the braves have another good catching prospect. Why would the rangers inquire about mccan when they could have the younger guy.

16. gmagic9044 - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I guess I am in the vast minority, but as a Braves fan, I would like the Braves to explore the option of trading McCann, especially (though unlikely) if it could net a player like Profar who would help the Braves be a serious contender for the next 5 years. Especially, since, until very recently, the Braves looked like a legit NLCS team, but not one built to win the WS this year.

I have changed my opinion a bit following the sweep of the Cardinals over the weekend, but with a 8.5 game lead, the Braves could coast at .500 over the last 57 games and still win the division, unless the Nationals play .660 ball coming in. The Braves could maintain their division lead with a Gattis/Laird combo at catcher. McCann may be worth (generously) 2-3 games over the last 57, but again, the Braves are probably safe with their lead.

McCann is not going to resign with the Braves (nor should he). He can/will get much more in the open market from an AL team where he will retain some of his value as a DH towards the end of a 4-5yr deal. A 5/$65-70mm contract is probably not out of the question for McCann, and that contract could become an albatross for a mid-market team like the Braves towards year 4.

The Braves have pretty good depth at Catcher, and trading from the top of that depth, and recouping good value over the Supplemental 1st round pick via FA, would be unorthodoxed but could be a savvy move from a GM who realizes his team is a good one, but not an elite one, and the Braves most probably fit in that category this year.

The Braves are young and built to contend over the next few years. Adding a legit, controllable, asset (pitching or fielding) for a piece that is not the future of the team, may hurt for this year, but would be a net positive. All assuming that the “can’t miss” prospect doesn’t, you know, “miss”. But that’s the danger of any trade and why you pay scouts as much as you do.

I know I’m in the minority here, and I will continue to cheer for McCann while he’s a Brave, and if he were traded to the Rangers and they meet in the WS, and McCann picks up the MVP against the Braves, then I will be sad and be forced to eat a bit of crow, but would still maintain the Braves are better off in the long run, as painful as it would be.

Just my thoughts.

17. scdocal - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Braves should resign him. Second best hitter on the team. Gattis still needs to make adjustments. Sign him for 3 more years.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5053)