Jul 29, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is done. Buster Olney reports that the Rays have acquired Jesse Crain from the White Sox for future considerations. Olney believes that the future considerations will be based on how many games Crain, who has a bad shoulder, pitches for Tampa Bay. The more he pitches, the better the return.
Crain, if healthy, will be a solid addition to the Rays’ pen. Between this and the Scott Downs trade, it’s been a pretty bullpenny day.
12:40 PM: OK, maybe not so fast:
Sources: Deal for Jesse Crain to Rays not close to done. Talks for now. Good news for White Sox is teams aren’t scared off by his shoulder.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 29, 2013
Trade deadline: a time when reports last approximately seven seconds before being refuted.
12:30 PM: ESPN Chicago’s Bruce Levine reports the White Sox are close to trading veteran setup man Jesse Crain as part of a three-team deal involving the Rays.
There were thoughts that Crain’s shoulder injury and current DL-status would prevent a deal from happening. But that, it seems, is being overcome. And may be part of the reason why Levine reports that the deal is “complicated.”
For the Rays, a move to pick up Crain would be a rare buy-at-the-deadline transaction. But if Crain can pitch in the second half, he’d be a boon to their bullpen. In 38 appearances this year he’s put up a fantastic 0.74 ERA while striking out 46 batters and walking 11 in 36.2 innings.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)