Jul 29, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is done. Buster Olney reports that the Rays have acquired Jesse Crain from the White Sox for future considerations. Olney believes that the future considerations will be based on how many games Crain, who has a bad shoulder, pitches for Tampa Bay. The more he pitches, the better the return.
Crain, if healthy, will be a solid addition to the Rays’ pen. Between this and the Scott Downs trade, it’s been a pretty bullpenny day.
12:40 PM: OK, maybe not so fast:
Sources: Deal for Jesse Crain to Rays not close to done. Talks for now. Good news for White Sox is teams aren’t scared off by his shoulder.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 29, 2013
Trade deadline: a time when reports last approximately seven seconds before being refuted.
12:30 PM: ESPN Chicago’s Bruce Levine reports the White Sox are close to trading veteran setup man Jesse Crain as part of a three-team deal involving the Rays.
There were thoughts that Crain’s shoulder injury and current DL-status would prevent a deal from happening. But that, it seems, is being overcome. And may be part of the reason why Levine reports that the deal is “complicated.”
For the Rays, a move to pick up Crain would be a rare buy-at-the-deadline transaction. But if Crain can pitch in the second half, he’d be a boon to their bullpen. In 38 appearances this year he’s put up a fantastic 0.74 ERA while striking out 46 batters and walking 11 in 36.2 innings.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)