Jul 29, 2013, 5:08 PM EST
UPDATE: The deal is done. Buster Olney reports that the Rays have acquired Jesse Crain from the White Sox for future considerations. Olney believes that the future considerations will be based on how many games Crain, who has a bad shoulder, pitches for Tampa Bay. The more he pitches, the better the return.
Crain, if healthy, will be a solid addition to the Rays’ pen. Between this and the Scott Downs trade, it’s been a pretty bullpenny day.
12:40 PM: OK, maybe not so fast:
Sources: Deal for Jesse Crain to Rays not close to done. Talks for now. Good news for White Sox is teams aren’t scared off by his shoulder.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 29, 2013
Trade deadline: a time when reports last approximately seven seconds before being refuted.
12:30 PM: ESPN Chicago’s Bruce Levine reports the White Sox are close to trading veteran setup man Jesse Crain as part of a three-team deal involving the Rays.
There were thoughts that Crain’s shoulder injury and current DL-status would prevent a deal from happening. But that, it seems, is being overcome. And may be part of the reason why Levine reports that the deal is “complicated.”
For the Rays, a move to pick up Crain would be a rare buy-at-the-deadline transaction. But if Crain can pitch in the second half, he’d be a boon to their bullpen. In 38 appearances this year he’s put up a fantastic 0.74 ERA while striking out 46 batters and walking 11 in 36.2 innings.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)