Jul 29, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is done. Buster Olney reports that the Rays have acquired Jesse Crain from the White Sox for future considerations. Olney believes that the future considerations will be based on how many games Crain, who has a bad shoulder, pitches for Tampa Bay. The more he pitches, the better the return.
Crain, if healthy, will be a solid addition to the Rays’ pen. Between this and the Scott Downs trade, it’s been a pretty bullpenny day.
12:40 PM: OK, maybe not so fast:
Sources: Deal for Jesse Crain to Rays not close to done. Talks for now. Good news for White Sox is teams aren’t scared off by his shoulder.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 29, 2013
Trade deadline: a time when reports last approximately seven seconds before being refuted.
12:30 PM: ESPN Chicago’s Bruce Levine reports the White Sox are close to trading veteran setup man Jesse Crain as part of a three-team deal involving the Rays.
There were thoughts that Crain’s shoulder injury and current DL-status would prevent a deal from happening. But that, it seems, is being overcome. And may be part of the reason why Levine reports that the deal is “complicated.”
For the Rays, a move to pick up Crain would be a rare buy-at-the-deadline transaction. But if Crain can pitch in the second half, he’d be a boon to their bullpen. In 38 appearances this year he’s put up a fantastic 0.74 ERA while striking out 46 batters and walking 11 in 36.2 innings.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 20
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 42
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)