And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Jul 30, 2013, 6:47 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 6.26.03 AM Getty Images

Pirates 9, Cardinals 2: In what is the most meaningful baseball played in Pittsburgh in over 20 years, Francisco Liriano was dominant and Pedro Alvarez hit his NL-leading 27th homer and the Pirates pull to within a half game of first place.

Rays 2, Red Sox 1: Gotta love that a blown call impacted a game in which a division lead changed hands. That’s just fantastic. Hey Bud: now that you’re showing how tough and powerful you’re getting with a union that once gave you fits with the drug stuff, how about doing the same with the umpires and unilaterally instituting replay?

Braves 9, Rockies 8: Four wins in a row for the Braves. The winning pitcher: Scott Downs, who didn’t show up to the park until ten minutes before first pitch and literally had to introduce himself to his infielders when he came into the game in the 10th. Lost in this win: Brandon Beachy‘s return: pretty disastrous (3.2 IP, 8 H, 7 ER).

Rangers 4, Angels 3: Ninth inning home runs from catchers is the new inefficiency. First A.J. Pierzynski homered then Geovany Soto, giving the Rangers a come-from-behind win.

Mets 6, Marlins 5: Mets blew a 3-0 lead and found themselves down 5-3 but Ike Davis hit an RBI double in a three-run seventh.

Indians 3, White Sox 2: The fifth straight win for the Indians, this on a Jason Giambi walkoff homer. He’s the oldest player to ever hit a walkoff player. The previous record holder was Hank Aaron, who did it in 1976. Except then they didn’t call them walkoffs. Indeed, I believe someone woulda looked at you funny if you called it a walkoff in 1976.

Brewers 5, Cubs 0: Scoreless until the ninth then the Brewers put up a five-spot. If you squinted you could see Carlos Marmol out there on the mound for Chicago. Then you realize it wasn’t him and you shed a single tear.

Athletics 9, Blue Jays 4: Yoenis Cespedes continues to climb out of his post All-Star Game funk. He homered and hit an RBI triple as the A’s scored four in the first and then cruised.

Padres 2, Reds 1: Chris Denorfia sat fastball on Aroldis Chapman and then drove a two-run homer over the wall in the bottom of the ninth. In other news, it feels like the Reds have been on this west coast swing for a month.

1. theageofquarrel - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:06 AM

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGAH!!!! LET’S GO BUCS!!!!!!

• natslady - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Can’t root for any team other than my own, but if the Nats aren’t going (not giving up, but it’s a real long shot), might as well be the Pirates. Love me some Andrew McCutchen, and y’all got the pitching.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Another great pitching performance by the bluejays, check this line out….

4.1 innings\9 hits\8 runs\3 walks and it only took rogers 96 pitches to turn in that quality work!!

Tonight the jays shoot for 10 games under .500 and I like their chances, also they added to their last place lead, they are 7 games ahead of anybody else for last place. I see this team clinching last place within the next 3 weeks. Congrats Toronto!!

• indaburg - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:31 AM

So, tell me about that childhood incident when that gang of rogue blue jays attacked you on the way to school, harry. It must have been very traumatic for you. I’ve never seen anyone hate a blue jay so much.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Good one.

• historiophiliac - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Beat the Sox, did ya? Way to go. ABBOY!

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I am considering some fan-troll-fiction about the various jay-related traumas that shaped harry. Your scenario will figure in.

Careful historio – your schadenfreude is showing. No Tiggers getting bouncy bounced from a game yesterday. Rambunctious lot those Tiggers.

• indaburg - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM

There’s a nest of blue jays living in the tree outside of my new apartment. They taunt me. I wonder if harry lives a similar existence. You can only take so much blue jay taunting until you snap, you know?

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM

That sounds like reason enough to worry for pc and cur

• Old Gator - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

There’s not much else to Harry. He’s a negative principle. He keeps claiming to have “forgotten more baseball than we will ever know” – one of the few sound bytes he keeps recycling at us in lieu of actual thoughts, but it does explain, in its way, why there’s so little actual baseball content in his posts.

• hcf95688 - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM

So I’m watching the A’s game last night and during the four run first inning for some reason I thought of cur and proudcanadian and (I’ve never really considered this before) realized that it’s 10pm back east and they had to wait literally all day….to see this. I don’t know how you guys back east do it. My caps off to you.

• cur68 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM

We get drunk, bro. We drink fermented seal blubber and maple syrup mead. Then we watch baseball. The we cry. Then we drink more.

• stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I spent two weeks in New England and I went crazy waiting for the games to start. And then I’d be waiting all night for the West Coast results on my Fantasy players. I like being in the Central.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Maybe the hateful tool lost a ton of cash when Joe Carter smacked that walk off 3-run homer in the 93 series.

3. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:22 AM

In that Braves game, Andrelton Simmons had the big hit with the game-winning triple in the bottom of the 10th after coming up with some timely hitting in the Cardinals series over the weekend … but the double play he started in the eighth just might have saved the game.

He made it look relatively easy and it’ll garner zero attention in a 9-8 final that ended in walk-off fashion, but it sure is a treat to have the best shortstop in baseball out there keeping runs off the board.

• natslady - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Simmons made an excellent play, not for the first time. Also, he went to the plate in the 10th with a definite “I got this” look.

Puzzles me why de la Rosa was left in for so long (I understand some of the runs were unearned but still, didn’t look like he had “it”).

Sort of funny to see Cards fans panicking on their sites. Pundits had that team as “the best in baseball” a month ago. Don’t listen to pundits–ever. Just don’t do it.

• historiophiliac - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM

So, Sanchez v. Strasburg tonight. Short series. Grrrr!!!!

• natslady - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM

@historio–backatcha!!! Go, Nats!

4. steelers88 - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM

RAISE IT!

5. jrs45 - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Giambi with the bomb! And he’s getting mobbed at home plate!

6. yarguy - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Jerry Meals wasn’t the only umpire to blow a call last night. D. J. Reyburn called Ramirez safe at second on a steal when he was clearly out. Meals actually has more of an excuse than Reyburn as Jerry ws completely out of position (as the picture shows) and had no clue what had happened while D. J. was looking right at the play and still got it wrong (but no police had to be called).

7. Stiller43 - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM

How can you troll a team (or teams fans…) when theyre in 5th place and your team is in 4th place in the division?

• Old Gator - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM

It can be done if you’re a moron. You need only be unable to detect the contradictions in your position. Some of it, in Harry’s case, is probably hereditary too. Stem cell therapy still has a long way to go where the malfunctions are neurological.

8. Old Gator - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Burield alive in the box score of the Feesh’s loss to the Mutts are the couple of key gift hits the Nyorcans received, at least one of which probably should have been called an error. In the third inning, Jacob Turner induced at least three ground balls which should have been outs. One of them, Ed Lucas misplayed and made an ill-advised high throw to Tweeter. An RBI single by Daniel Murphy directly at the usual position of shortstop then bounced to the right of Adeiny Hechavarria who was playing waaaayyyy too far over towards second base. There were a lot of miscues in the infield that inning. And of course, a totally ineffective Mike Dunn and an almost equally inept A J Ramos came in from the boolpen in the seventh with one out and giftwrapped a couple of booming doubles, another one to Murphy who is looking like a force of nature at the moment – assuming that there’s a phenomenon called RISP in nature after all – and that were the game. I’ve been reading some of Craig’s Flat Earth Society posts denying the existence of RISP and would like to remind him, gently so that he doesn’t lose his nose hairs, that when Einstein claimed God didn’t play dice with the universe he was proven wrong too.

Anyway, Turner – a charter member of the 2013 Feesh’s young guns (they ride seahorses), had a better game than it looks like on paper. Dear Buddha he looks young – you watch him and wonder if he’s started shaving yet. The Feesh managed to score him five runs without a hitting coach. Not good enough last night.

• stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Everybody remembers Einstein, but nobody ever remembers that Niels Bohr cleaned his clock in the whole argument over quantum mechanics.

• Old Gator - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Awww, sure they do. Weren’t you in Copenhagen speaking broken English with us? I think I remember you – the one in the big hat….

• stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Yessir, Ah tracked those particles down with mah six-shooter……..

9. indaburg - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, there young whippersnapper with the newfangled instant replay talk. You can’t be too hasty now with that kinda thing. You need committees and sub-committees for those committees. You need to be cautious. Besides, I don’t think there is any technology that will allow an ump to see through Jose Molina’s fat ass. Molina’s fat ass blocking the ump’s view is not being given enough credit here. Skinny Buster Posey never makes that play. Never.

The Red Sox lost that game on their own. How did they not score on that double? Is young Wil Myers’ arm feared that much?

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM

The baserunning in that inning was worse than any TOOTBLAN. Gawd it was painful to watch. And as Matthew or Crashburn Bill or someone pointed out (which I didn’t think of so it hurt twice as much) Jose Iglesias was on the bench and available to pinch run instead of Nava, which would have saved Nava’s bat for the bonus baseball that would have ensued. If Iglesias could have been the “permanent runner” he would have scored twice in that inning. /bangs head against wall

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yes, Jose’s butt is large. MINE is trim and firm, though. Have you seen it? Like the rump of a prime boar hog. You like pork? I can get you pork.

• indaburg - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I love pork. Dog bless the pig.

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM

so uhhhhh – whaddya sayin – you sayin i’m big? like – so big you can see it from the front big?

• indaburg - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Uh, yeah.

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM

so uhhhh – like big like two canned hams up top?

ummm – so do the big-butted males stay on your mind?

/stares

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM

soooo – i’ve been listening to lukescott talk about you in the lockerroom

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM

i’ve been craving that kind of attention and only you seem to recognize my power

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Hey! Benji! Get away from my woman! Bad enough I gotta play ball with your tubby, ump blocking brother who isn’t even from America, I don’t need another tubby Molina trying to cut my lunch. Now get away from her. I’ve been trying to slip roofies in her soda for over a month now and I don’t need to see her wander off with your large butt. Go bug that other nice lady, historiophilliac. I hear she likes chubby guys.

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM

You’re not the only Ray with rohypnol brah – and I AM the only Ray with rohypnol and a giant sexy lady-sized booty to boot.

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM

That does does it! This means WAR! Pig Spears at 20 paces! Dawn! Tomorrow!
        /glaring

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Only if we have a pig roast together brah. Bros before … pig spear duels.

And for real lukie, what’s wins above replacement got to do, got to do with? We don’t even play the same position!

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Tempting. But lukescottspigspear does not share well. Not with non-Americans at any rate. Seriously, try that saucy little number, historiophilliac. She’ll be warm for your large form, and you won’t even have to use the drugs.

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I don’t want to incur the wrath of a teammate, so I’ll encurage you to focus on hitting and your annie without any rancur. /graciously succombs to 3rd favorite non-American

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Well. Ok. I think I can tolerate you. Wanna go pig hunting sometime?

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Gotta spare spear??

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM

lukescottsolderbrother keeps the spare spear.

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I am thinking right now of the original Yoenis Cespedes video. /drools and thinks of pork cheek

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I can’t help being large and in charge of blocking the plate. It’s not my fault being the biggest & the most bootylicious – I don’t even work out!

• indaburg - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Hey, benji. I have a sister…

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM

gotta picture?? /leers

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Does she like big butts?

• indaburg - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Oh, yeah. She likes Puerto Ricans too, like the Molinas. She’s bi too.

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM

What are you saying about me, Benji Molina’s butt??
        Of course I was visibly palpating upon word of a big three-way trade coming but I was thinking MWW – how
        did you read me, the butt’s mind?

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Hey, you think your sister would like lukescottsolderbrother?

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM

uhhhh – which sister – lotta catchers in the fam

10. janessa31888 - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM

So fun to watch the Tribe celebrating wins together. This team really seems to have fun. Nick Swisher and Mike Aviles seem to enjoy throwing things at teammates who are trying to do interviews. Poor Justin was deluged with water the other day. Loving the winning vibe.

11. spacemaker101 - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Braves are getting hot again… WATCH OUT!

12. sdelmonte - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Any win the Mets get against the Marlins is a good one. Lord knows why, but the Feesh have been kryptonite to the Mets for too long now, and I doubt I am alone in expecting the worst when the teams play.

• stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Bringing back a painful memory. I lost a round in Fantasy League when Matt Harvey imploded against the Mets, of all people. Sometimes there just is no sense in how matchups work in a baseball season. But I guess that is part of the joy of watching. One never knows.

• stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM

The Marlins, that is. Typing too fast.

13. mj1818 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Zoltan!!

14. APBA Guy - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM

The Parade of Disappointment continued in Oakland last night as the Blue Jays, following the Angels, proudly displayed the daily He Who Cannot Pitch for the A’s enjoyment. A’s my girlfriend observed last night the A’s are not beating the Tigers or the Rays, not when their 4th starter is Anibal Sanchez or Matt Moore. But if that 4th starter is Esmil Rogers, the A’s have a good chance, especially when E5 lets one through directly under his glove. Nothing like an extra out to help matters along.

So the Blue Jays, who are evidently getting paid by the hack, are also a really impatient team at the plate. Their 3 homeruns were indeed long and awe-inspiring, and would have been moreso had anyone managed to actually get on base between the bombs.

Tonight is Buehrle v. Straily. Buehrle has been pitching better lately and the A’s don’t hit lefties as well as righties. And Straily gets rattled when he gives up a long one, so this should be a closer contest than last night turned out to be.

15. jimeejohnson - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Intelligent criticism of the Blue Jays: who knew?

• Old Gator - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Certainly not frothing, addled Harry.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2884)