Aramis Ramirez: “I’m not healing as well as I thought”

Jul 30, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

Aramis Ramirez AP

Aramis Ramirez will be on the disabled list when the trade deadline passes tomorrow and now it sounds like the Brewers third baseman may not be particularly close to returning from a knee injury.

“I’m not healing as well as I thought I would,” Ramirez told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com. “I don’t know why. I’m doing everything I can, but it’s not coming out like I hoped.” He also hinted that he may not be healthy until next season, when the Brewers owe him $16 million at age 36.

Ramirez has been bothered by knee problems all season, playing just 54 of the Brewers’ first 105 games while hitting .271 with five homers for a .773 OPS that’s his second-lowest since 2003.

1. onbucky96 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Come on Brewers. We need more effort like this. Whine and quit. That type of mentality will ensure the 1st overall pick. Braun, purging ‘PEDs. Hart, hurt his other knee wearing sunglasses at night. And AmRam, what a team.

• 1908wasnextyear - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM

He’s not a whiner. He’s 35 years old. Injuries happen. You can trash your team if you want (who’s the whiner here, really?), but leave Aramis out of it. He was a very good (and tough) 3rd baseman for years for the Cubs, and the Brewers knew his age when they signed him.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Anyone who calls Aramis tough, hasn’t been watching him long enough. I agree with everything else, but “tough” no way

2. larry188 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Hey what else could go wrong for the Brewers this summer. Aramis, we had some good times for a while, didn’t we? 16 million for a mid to low level 36 year old? Uh-uh. The Brewers are lucky to still have Bianchi and Bettencourt (if they can keep him).

• neoshweaty - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Judging from his numbers, it looks like his power was sapped by his knee. I mean, he had a pretty great season last year. We may not know what he does when he recovers but mid to low level seems pretty harsh for a guy who has been pretty consistent during his career.

3. afrancis55 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Hurry up ARam I have a fantasy championhip to win and you need to fill one of my UTIL spot

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB