Jul 30, 2013, 10:41 PM EDT
Callaspo played third base for Anaheim but will take over as Oakland’s starting second baseman with Josh Donaldson currently manning the hot corner.
Green was the 13th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft and has posted a cool .325/.379/.500 batting line with 11 home runs and 50 RBI over 87 games this season at the Triple-A level. That’s a pretty big piece to unload for a guy like Callaspo, who has hit .252/.328/.356 since the start of 2012 and hasn’t appeared regularly at second base since 2009.
The Athletics are currently six games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West standings.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)