Jul 30, 2013, 10:41 PM EST
Callaspo played third base for Anaheim but will take over as Oakland’s starting second baseman with Josh Donaldson currently manning the hot corner.
Green was the 13th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft and has posted a cool .325/.379/.500 batting line with 11 home runs and 50 RBI over 87 games this season at the Triple-A level. That’s a pretty big piece to unload for a guy like Callaspo, who has hit .252/.328/.356 since the start of 2012 and hasn’t appeared regularly at second base since 2009.
The Athletics are currently six games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West standings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)