Jul 30, 2013, 10:41 PM EST
Callaspo played third base for Anaheim but will take over as Oakland’s starting second baseman with Josh Donaldson currently manning the hot corner.
Green was the 13th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft and has posted a cool .325/.379/.500 batting line with 11 home runs and 50 RBI over 87 games this season at the Triple-A level. That’s a pretty big piece to unload for a guy like Callaspo, who has hit .252/.328/.356 since the start of 2012 and hasn’t appeared regularly at second base since 2009.
The Athletics are currently six games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West standings.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 118
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (124)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)