Jul 30, 2013, 10:41 PM EDT
Callaspo played third base for Anaheim but will take over as Oakland’s starting second baseman with Josh Donaldson currently manning the hot corner.
Green was the 13th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft and has posted a cool .325/.379/.500 batting line with 11 home runs and 50 RBI over 87 games this season at the Triple-A level. That’s a pretty big piece to unload for a guy like Callaspo, who has hit .252/.328/.356 since the start of 2012 and hasn’t appeared regularly at second base since 2009.
The Athletics are currently six games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West standings.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 7
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 126
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 32
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (134)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)