Jul 30, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Marc Rzepczynski was demoted back to Triple-A after a 48-hour stay with the Cardinals and now Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the left-hander will be traded to the Indians.
Rzepczynski was a big part of the Cardinals’ bullpen after they acquired him from the Blue Jays in mid-2011, but he fell out of favor last season and has spent most of this year in the minors.
No word yet on what the Cardinals are getting in return, but it’s unlikely to be more than a low-level prospect.
UPDATE: It’s now official and St. Louis gets minor league infielder Juan Herrera in return. He’s a 20-year-old playing at low Single-A, but has shown some on-base skills and plays shortstop.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (93)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)