Jul 30, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Marc Rzepczynski was demoted back to Triple-A after a 48-hour stay with the Cardinals and now Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the left-hander will be traded to the Indians.
Rzepczynski was a big part of the Cardinals’ bullpen after they acquired him from the Blue Jays in mid-2011, but he fell out of favor last season and has spent most of this year in the minors.
No word yet on what the Cardinals are getting in return, but it’s unlikely to be more than a low-level prospect.
UPDATE: It’s now official and St. Louis gets minor league infielder Juan Herrera in return. He’s a 20-year-old playing at low Single-A, but has shown some on-base skills and plays shortstop.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29