Chad Qualls patents the fist pump-barrel roll

Jul 30, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT

The Marlins’ Chad Qualls got pretty excited after striking out Omar Quintanilla to end the top of the eighth in a 2-2 game against the Mets tonight. How excited?

Chad Qualls falls

The best thing was the way Qualls shook it off and solemnly walked back to the dugout afterwards. Well, no, the best thing was that he fell down trying to do a fist pump. But, really, as a Marlins middle reliever, this was the only way he was going to get noticed at all this year.

(GIF posted by @thescottlewis on Twitter)

1. dondada10 - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Thank you for the gift of GIF, baby Jesus.

• historiophiliac - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

That’s neck-and-neck w/ Delmon Young’s throw from the OF!

• dondada10 - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM

• historiophiliac - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM

It never disappoints, does it? I can laugh about it now.

• dondada10 - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM

You’re a better person than I am.

3 years ago I went on a baseball road trip. Your beautiful Comerica Park was one of the stops. I went to a Tigers day game in which they beat the White Sox. Miggy had 3 doubles. I digress.

The Toledo Mud Hens was the next stadium. Gorgeous piece of Americana. Timo Perez, however, was playing left.

Now I don’t know how well you remember this, Histori, my dear, but Timo falsely celebrated a homerrun in Game 1 of the 2000 World Series vs. the Yankees. I was 15. He got gunned at a home in a game the Mets (Benetiz!) choked away.

Any how, I berated Timo Perez about as maliciously as you can berate somebody. Ergo, you are the better person.

• historiophiliac - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Oh, trust me, if I ever see Brandon Inge again in person….well, I’ll probably have to do some serious penance….and hopefully I’ll have some chin hairs of his as offering.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM

That’s neck-and-neck w/ Delmon Young’s throw from the OF!

Which one? This was pretty awesome. I suspect this guy is trolling all of Baseball.

• historiophiliac - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM

See, he clearly just needed some Philly steaks.

• beefytrout - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Shane Victorino’s in the ’11 NLCS is way worse… his throw actually went backwards and hit the outfield wall.

• historiophiliac - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Find it and post it!

• therealtrenches - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM

@beefytrout:

The Phillies weren’t in the NLCS in 2011. They lost to the Cards in the NLDS. Do you mean vs. the Giants in 2010?

• jayscarpa - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Victorino

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq2KYCe51nU

• historiophiliac - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Dude, that Victorino throw was pretty hilarious.

• beefytrout - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Typo on my part, and yeah that’s the one!

• Old Gator - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Reminds me less of a barrel roll than a lost wingman formation, especially considering how the game turned out.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Done…I can’t thank you enough for that Delmon Young gif.
      I actually laughed out loud. A couple of times!

2. vpisteve99 - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Is there anything that the Marlins can’t fail at?

3. latchbeam - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Amazing!!!

4. rajplayscoy - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM

He’s so graceful, moves like a cat. A semi-retarded, drunk, cross eyed cat.

5. Old Gator - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM

…and of course, the Feesh lost the game in the 10th when the Mutts scored twice off Steve Cishek and then the Kreamsicle Kids couldn’t score doodly squat off of Bobby Parnell.

Parnell.

Wasn’t he in Bonanza?

• historiophiliac - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Unsinkable Molly Brown

• Old Gator - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Whatever floats your boat.

HoooohahahahahHEEEEEEEEhahahahahahhooohohohohoho…….

• Old Gator - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Incidentally, there’s some Australian mining billionaire who is actually planning to build an accurate 1:1 replica of the Titanic at a major Chinese shipyard. See here:

Of course, a few baseball fans here in Macondo believe a replica of the Titanic has already been built by Scrooge McLoria.

• historiophiliac - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

OMG, I never cease to be amazed by how crazy people get about historical BS. Sheesh. More interestingly, did you see the story about the drug test results on the mummies found at the Llullaillaco volcano in Argentina? Dope up the child sacrifices and leave them to die. Nice.

• Old Gator - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 AM

The difference being that this guy will probably make another billion with this boat. People will pay anything to travel on it. From what I understand the staterooms, cabins, decor, all of it will be period-style as will the food, music, you name it. Even the cyber-cafe will be authentic fin de siecle.

As for the sacrifices, children are horrible. But if the politically correct continue to complain about them, use meerkats instead. Wretched things.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM

OMG = Old Man Gator ?

• historiophiliac - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM

*Magic

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4028)