Flashback: Marlon Byrd was ready to retire if he didn’t make the Mets

Jul 30, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

New York Mets v Washington Nationals Getty Images

Marlon Byrd has resurrected his career by hitting .280 with 17 homers and an .832 OPS in 91 games for the Mets, who continue to say that they won’t trade the 35-year-old impending free agent unless they get blown away with an offer.

Whether or not you actually believe that is one thing, but it’s also worth noting that Byrd was just about ready to call it a career back in spring training. He was trying to make the Mets on a minor-league contract and more or less vowed to retire if he failed, saying:

I kind of look at it as a last chance. If I don’t make this team, I don’t see many other chances in baseball. That’s the way I’m playing, like it is my last chance.

Five months later he’s having the best season of his career and the Mets are debating whether trade offers for him are big enough.

1. flamethrower101 - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM

If I’m the Mets I’m saying “Hey f- off everybody. None of you wanted him then, none of you can have him now.”

• biasedhomer - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Running an organization based on emotions is not a good idea.

• uwsptke - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM

If I’m the Mets, I’m thinking about how I can turn an old reclamation project like Byrd into an actual prospect at the deadline.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Test him for Geritol!

3. jdv22 - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Trade him to the Giants, then have him come out as a juicer. He’s Melky 2.0!

4. orangandblack - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Best year of his career at age 35….am I the only one suspicious here?

• nategearhart - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Probably not, which is a damn shame.

• bdawk20 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Yeah, um, but: http://deadspin.com/5921176/marlon-byrd-victor-contes-most-famous-client-suspended-for-peds

5. lonndoggie - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

If they traded him to the Marlins, he’d be…Marlon of the Marlins.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3409)