Jul 30, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Stuff that only happens at the trade deadline: a healthy pitcher scratched. That’s what Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune is reporting about Jake Peavy. Gonzalez says Peavy is unlikely to make his scheduled start against the Indians today.
This certainly suggests that a trade is near, as teams in negotiations for players would prefer it if they could use them as soon as the trade is done. If Peavy pitched today he’d not be available until Sunday.
Someone likely wants him now.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 128
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (129)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)