Jul 30, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Stuff that only happens at the trade deadline: a healthy pitcher scratched. That’s what Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune is reporting about Jake Peavy. Gonzalez says Peavy is unlikely to make his scheduled start against the Indians today.
This certainly suggests that a trade is near, as teams in negotiations for players would prefer it if they could use them as soon as the trade is done. If Peavy pitched today he’d not be available until Sunday.
Someone likely wants him now.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)