Jul 30, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
Stuff that only happens at the trade deadline: a healthy pitcher scratched. That’s what Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune is reporting about Jake Peavy. Gonzalez says Peavy is unlikely to make his scheduled start against the Indians today.
This certainly suggests that a trade is near, as teams in negotiations for players would prefer it if they could use them as soon as the trade is done. If Peavy pitched today he’d not be available until Sunday.
Someone likely wants him now.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)