Jul 30, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Stuff that only happens at the trade deadline: a healthy pitcher scratched. That’s what Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune is reporting about Jake Peavy. Gonzalez says Peavy is unlikely to make his scheduled start against the Indians today.
This certainly suggests that a trade is near, as teams in negotiations for players would prefer it if they could use them as soon as the trade is done. If Peavy pitched today he’d not be available until Sunday.
Someone likely wants him now.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)