Jul 30, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Jason Grilli is expected to miss at least 4-8 weeks with a strained flexor muscle in his forearm, potentially knocking him out for the remainder of the season, but the Pirates closer all but guaranteed he’ll pitch again this year.
“I’m going to be ready before the season is out,” Grilli told Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. “You can mark my word on that.”
Of course, players are almost always optimistic about their return timetables, especially before they even begin the rehab process and find out exactly what’s ahead of them. Grilli not needing surgery is definitely good news, but “you can mark my word on that” just doesn’t mean much yet.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 41
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (97)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)