Jul 30, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Jason Grilli is expected to miss at least 4-8 weeks with a strained flexor muscle in his forearm, potentially knocking him out for the remainder of the season, but the Pirates closer all but guaranteed he’ll pitch again this year.
“I’m going to be ready before the season is out,” Grilli told Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. “You can mark my word on that.”
Of course, players are almost always optimistic about their return timetables, especially before they even begin the rehab process and find out exactly what’s ahead of them. Grilli not needing surgery is definitely good news, but “you can mark my word on that” just doesn’t mean much yet.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11