Jul 30, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
Jason Grilli is expected to miss at least 4-8 weeks with a strained flexor muscle in his forearm, potentially knocking him out for the remainder of the season, but the Pirates closer all but guaranteed he’ll pitch again this year.
“I’m going to be ready before the season is out,” Grilli told Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. “You can mark my word on that.”
Of course, players are almost always optimistic about their return timetables, especially before they even begin the rehab process and find out exactly what’s ahead of them. Grilli not needing surgery is definitely good news, but “you can mark my word on that” just doesn’t mean much yet.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)