Jul 30, 2013, 10:34 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera missed four consecutive games last week with a hip issue. And it’s not going away.
According to MLB.com beat writer Jason Beck, the third baseman aggravated that hip injury in the fifth inning of Tuesday’s game against the Nationals while charging a Chad Tracy groundball. Cabrera stuck around for a few more innings, suggesting that the aggravation was not a serious one, but the Tigers seem likely to play it safe and give him more rest.
Cabrera finished 1-for-4 in Tuesday’s 5-1 defeat of Washington and is hitting .359/.454/.688 with 32 home runs and 99 RBI in 100 total games played this season.
The Tigers are currently 2 1/2 games up on the Indians in the American League Central standings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (91)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)