Jul 30, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera missed four consecutive games last week with a hip issue. And it’s not going away.
According to MLB.com beat writer Jason Beck, the third baseman aggravated that hip injury in the fifth inning of Tuesday’s game against the Nationals while charging a Chad Tracy groundball. Cabrera stuck around for a few more innings, suggesting that the aggravation was not a serious one, but the Tigers seem likely to play it safe and give him more rest.
Cabrera finished 1-for-4 in Tuesday’s 5-1 defeat of Washington and is hitting .359/.454/.688 with 32 home runs and 99 RBI in 100 total games played this season.
The Tigers are currently 2 1/2 games up on the Indians in the American League Central standings.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)