Jul 30, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Rumors are a lot more fun when they have a step of background intrigue. Like a player to replace the possibly departing guy. Like this:
Source: Phillies plan on calling up 3B Cody Asche. Points to Michael Young being traded today.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 30, 2013
The big question is where Young may be going. My guess is the AL East, as the Yankees, Orioles and Red Sox have all been mentioned as possible destinations.
As for Asche: he’s 23 and he’s hitting .295/.352/.485 with 15 home runs, 68 RBI and 11 stolen bases over 104 games this season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He’s the sort of player you give a shot to as you rebuild. Which, finally, it appears the Phillies are doing.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)