Jul 30, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Rumors are a lot more fun when they have a step of background intrigue. Like a player to replace the possibly departing guy. Like this:
Source: Phillies plan on calling up 3B Cody Asche. Points to Michael Young being traded today.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 30, 2013
The big question is where Young may be going. My guess is the AL East, as the Yankees, Orioles and Red Sox have all been mentioned as possible destinations.
As for Asche: he’s 23 and he’s hitting .295/.352/.485 with 15 home runs, 68 RBI and 11 stolen bases over 104 games this season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He’s the sort of player you give a shot to as you rebuild. Which, finally, it appears the Phillies are doing.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)