Jul 30, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Rumors are a lot more fun when they have a step of background intrigue. Like a player to replace the possibly departing guy. Like this:
Source: Phillies plan on calling up 3B Cody Asche. Points to Michael Young being traded today.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 30, 2013
The big question is where Young may be going. My guess is the AL East, as the Yankees, Orioles and Red Sox have all been mentioned as possible destinations.
As for Asche: he’s 23 and he’s hitting .295/.352/.485 with 15 home runs, 68 RBI and 11 stolen bases over 104 games this season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He’s the sort of player you give a shot to as you rebuild. Which, finally, it appears the Phillies are doing.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)