Jul 30, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Rumors are a lot more fun when they have a step of background intrigue. Like a player to replace the possibly departing guy. Like this:
Source: Phillies plan on calling up 3B Cody Asche. Points to Michael Young being traded today.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 30, 2013
The big question is where Young may be going. My guess is the AL East, as the Yankees, Orioles and Red Sox have all been mentioned as possible destinations.
As for Asche: he’s 23 and he’s hitting .295/.352/.485 with 15 home runs, 68 RBI and 11 stolen bases over 104 games this season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He’s the sort of player you give a shot to as you rebuild. Which, finally, it appears the Phillies are doing.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)