The asking price for Jake Peavy is coming down

Jul 30, 2013, 5:00 PM EST

As of yesterday there were reports that the White Sox wanted both prospects AND money for Jake Peavy. Sean McAdam reports that reason is starting to enter the equation:

I still feel like the Red Sox have the best shot as they have both the prospects and the money in quantities that none of the other candidates really do, but really, Peavy would look good on any roster right now.

1. tiggersarebouncy - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

NOOO!!! Stick to your guns Ricky-Boy!! Peavy is worth prospects AND money!!

• nsauser - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Money? I think the only money involved is the amount the White Sox aren’t paying on Peavy’s contract.

• tiggersarebouncy - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Yeah and we want all of it!!

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I like this guy Tiggersarebouncy, Good posts, good fan, keep up the good work!!

• tiggersarebouncy - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I like your swagger harry – same back & many more!!

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Thanks Tiggersarebouncy, I will be looking forward to any future posts you put here, Its a honor to talk to a “real” MLB fan brother!

2. mc1439 - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Pussies.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I actually laughed out loud for some reason.

3. jcmeyer10 - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Red Sox please, think of the future. A future of Bogs, JBJ, Britton, Cecchini, Barnes with team friendly contracts. One year of playoffs aren’t worth mortgaging future.

• hammyofdoom - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM

There’s no way that JBJ or Bogaerts is involved in a trade for Peavy. MAYBE Barnes or Britton (and Britton is most likely a bullpen arm at this point). If they can get him without trading JBJ, Bogaerts or Cecchini (which I think is possible) I dont mind the trade.

4. drewsylvania - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:02 PM

If I’m Ben, I say no to any deal involving Bogaerts. Probably Bradley, too, since the Sox seem content to let Ellsbury walk.

• hammyofdoom - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM

That’s exactly how I feel as a Red Sox fan. They aren’t letting any of those guys go unless it’s for a pitcher who is cost-controlled for 3+ years. Peavy is not that… I can see them going for peavy with a package of Britton, Barnes and Brentz: three top 15 guys but no one in their top 5-8.

On a totally unrelated note…what the hell is it with Red Sox prospects and the letter B? Bogaerts, Bradley, Ball, Barnes, Blake Swihart, Brandon Workman, Britton, Bryce Brentz…and that’s just out of the top 12

5. Walk - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Interesting so the chisox are willing to take less than the 20 million and a teams top four prospects? No way that price was going to fly for an injury plagued pitcher. Is he worth a couple prospects? I think so but it would depend on how good they are. I would think peavy is more likely to net one prospect, a good one at that, and maybe half his remaining salary. Then again I am not a gm and he is a huge risk, but when he is healthy I loved watching peavey pitch. Maybe he goes for two good prospects but Chicago would need to take on a lot if not all of his salary if they get two great ones. If they are dead set on four or more prospects they may have to daa a thrown in player and accept quanity over quality.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5343)
  2. M. Kemp (3160)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2906)
  4. C. McGehee (2902)