Jul 30, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Buster Olney says:
The Cubs are getting solid interest on Nate Schierholtz, one of the few good hitters on the market. More than likely he gets traded.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 30, 2013
Schierholtz has been one of the least talked about bats at the deadline, but his bat has been a good one: .274/.334/.523 with 14 homers. And he’s making next to nothing this year.
The Cubs have dealt more players than anyone so far this season. What’s one more? And who wouldn’t want him? The Rangers and Yankees immediately spring to mind. The Orioles, perhaps.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)