Trade coming? Bud Norris scratched from tonight’s start

Jul 30, 2013, 12:46 PM EST

bud norris getty Getty Images

Bud Norris, like Jake Peavy, has been scratched from tonight’s scheduled start, leading to speculation that the Astros are about to trade the right-hander.

Lucas Harrell will start in his place against the Orioles, who’re one of the teams mentioned as a possible landing spot for Norris.

Norris doesn’t have the same type of top-of-the-rotation track record as Cliff Lee or Peavy, but he’s 28 years old, has been a solid mid-rotation starter with good strikeout rates, and is under team control through 2015.

1. thekingdave - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Bon voyage. Trade Altuve at some point if the price is right as well.

• knowlegeforyou - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

They just extended Altuve

• thekingdave - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Thanks for that nugget. I follow the Astros pretty religiously but somehow that one slipped past me. All sarcasm aside, who cares? He doesn’t have a no trade clause, they won’t contend for another three seasons anyways, and how much better will he really become? If the price is right, trade him.

• stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I saw that and it slipped my mind. Must have made a big impact.

2. stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

No surprise here. The constant talk since spring training has been Norris gone at the deadline. Altuve would be survivable, too, but I doubt he has much value outside of Houston with his falling OBP.

Just hope they can get some guys who can contribute relatively soon, because the next 60 games are going to be a rolling nightmare.

• thekingdave - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Well we all saw it coming in 2006 when they brought in Preston Wilson, a sign they weren’t going with a much needed rebuild. All the fans smiled at MMP those 5 years, too ignorant to see the complete dismantling of the team at the minor league level courtesy of Drayton McLane. Now Jim Crane’s taking out the garbage, and he’s the worst person ever I’m told. Awesome how things work out.

• stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I am always hopeful. But I’m not sold on them yet. Perhaps we will begin to see over the next two years. But competitiveness is a way out. And, curiously enough, the best prospects over the next two years were obtained on Ed Wade’s watch (Cosart, Springer, Singleton, etc.)

Not that I wanted Ed to stay.

• thekingdave - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I believe that’s primarily because those guys are higher up in the system seeing as how those moves were made two years ago. He didn’t get much back for Bourn, and whiffed badly on Jiovanni Mier in the first round in 2009 I believe. Also the guys Luhnow’s dealt haven’t been in the same class as Bourn and Pence, who alone brought in Singleton and Cosart.

• stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM

In fairness, Springer was a draft choice, as are several of their best AA/AAA prospects right now. Ed is a good judge of amateur talent, he was just in over his head as GM. Biggest culprits:

1. Hunsicker raided the system for July 31st trades for years. Beltran was the only one to work out. And he left almost immediately.
        2. Scouting went down the tubes starting on Hunsicker’s watch. Go back and look at those drafts in the early 2000’s. Something went wrong on player evaluation.
        3. Purpura was the most pathetic excuse for a GM we will see in our lifetimes. (Although I am a lot older than you. You may see worse.)
        4. Drayton stopped spending on the team. Besides the fact that he never knew as much baseball as he thought he did.

But the jury is still out on the present administration. Case in point: Don’t be too hasty in assuming Corriea plus McCullers was a brilliant move last year. From what I am reading they passed over a five tools outfielder in Bruxton to get that deal. And we still have no sign of a cable deal in the Houston area.

So I will take a while to be convinced.

• mc1439 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

We could have had Chris Sale over Jiovanni Mier. Oh Ed you daffy bastard.

3. theinconvienenttruth - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM

As an O’s fan, I was not willing to part with farm arm like Eduardo Rodriguez for Garza, but I’m willing to accept Bud Norris. The guy is not only young (28), but he’s under team control for a couple of years. Anything to get Hammel out of the rotation!

4. rockthered1286 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM

“Bud… You’ve been traded. Go ahead and grab your stuff and walk over to the other dugout with the Os.”

• stex52 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM

“And wipe that smile off of your face!”

• proudlycanadian - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Dear Bud! You are active on my fantasy team because too many of my pitchers went down with injuries. Good luck and may you get some decent run support.

5. gibbyfan - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Cardinals

6. sportsdrenched - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Congrats on your parole, Bud.

7. mc1439 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Bud’s been an alright pitcher, but it’s his baby face that has always annoyed me. See ya, Bud.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5007)