White Sox and Pirates “getting close” to Alex Rios trade

Jul 30, 2013, 2:14 PM EST

Alex Rios AP

While most of the attention surrounding the White Sox at the trade deadline centers around Jake Peavy they’re “getting close on a deal” that would send Alex Rios to the Pirates, according to David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com.

Kaplan reports that the two sides are working on the money aspect of a potential trade, although he also notes that nothing is certain to be completed. Rios is owed about $5 million for the remainder of this season and $12.5 million next season.

Pittsburgh certainly has a need in right field, where they’ve gotten a combined .226 batting average and nine homers for a .649 OPS that ranks dead last in the majors. By comparison Rios is hitting .272 with 12 homers and a .752 OPS, which is similar to his overall numbers in five seasons with the White Sox, and he’s also a big plus defensively.

1. magnumforce1973 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

We’re gonna miss you Alex, even though you didn’t live up to the hype. But it’s time for the One True Sox to rebuild and get ready to snare the Bankruptcy Town Pussycats!! HAHA!!

2. knowlegeforyou - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM

No one saw this coming… “sarcasm” Hope the Pirates don’t have to overpay. They needed to make a move last year, and need to make a few this year.

3. danaking - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I want to like this move, but Ludwick and Lee in 2011 and Snider in 2012 have made me gun shy about deadline deals and the Pirates. It would be nice to see him take some of the pressure off the rest of the offense, and he could give Pittsburgh the best defensive outfield in baseball alongside McCutchen and Marte.

• buccos2013 - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I trust Huntington entirely. The last couple of years we didn’t have the same team we do now. I’m glad we didn’t give up better prospects to get an expensive rental when it would have had very little effect on the season. We simply weren’t ready and weren’t in a position where a single bat could change our fortune. I was especially on board with the Snider deal, despite the fact it hasn’t panned out as we hoped. This year is different.

Everything Neal has done since 07-08 has been to give us a competitive team for 2014 or 2015. Each year we’ve seen more and more success while he remade our team from the bottom up. We went from being ranked 19th in organizational strength at the end of 07, to being ranked 7th this season – and that’s even a cautious ranking. So now the efforts have paid off and even a year or two earlier than anticipated. We’re now in a position where a single addition (starter, that is – I think we’d all like to see an improved bench) can have a major influence over how we finish in the standings. In no way do I want to rub the farm to make it happen, but I trust Huntington to bring us in a bat. Whether it be Rios or Morales or, my personal favorite, Schierholtz -he’ll make something happen. The past few deadlines don’t make me doubt him one bit.

4. jb8588 - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM

As long as the Pirates aren’t stupid and include a guy like Gregory Polanco in the deal…

5. finchj15 - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Reblogged this on Baseball 101: Finchy's View and commented:
    Would be a very nice add for that Pirates lineup…

6. stairwayto7 - Jul 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM

No for Palanco or Tallion! I seen Tabata and Tony Sanchez going.

• jb8588 - Jul 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM

And I’d say no to Josh Bell too.

• sfbookreviews - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Sanchez isn’t going anywhere, he’s the only legit catching prospect in the entire organization.

• buccos2013 - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Mathieson? And hopefully Reese.

7. Andy - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM

As long as Chicago is absorbing some of the salary, I’d be comfortable with the Pirates dealing an Alex Dickerson type player to acquire Rios. But I totally agree with the sentiment that the club needs to stay far, far away from those top 5 prospects down on the farm.

8. buccos2013 - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM

If we have to ship someone, I’d prefer it be Heredia. I like the kid, but we can’t get Rios for nothing and I’d rather hang on to Taillon, Glasnow & Kingham. Ideally, we’d keep all of our hitting specs, but if we had to get rid of Dickerson, Allie or Lambo I wouldn’t lose any sleep. Exciting and nerve racking at the same time!

• erniecohen - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:35 AM

This is the mistake everyone makes. They *should* be able to get him for nothing; at his current production level, he’s not worth his salary.He’s projects to less than 3 WAR for the rest of this year and next, so taking on all or most of his salary is the *most* they should pay for him.

9. windycityfan89 - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

He tends to be real “streaky” at times but when he’s hot he’s a force at the plate. But a solid defender and hate to see him go (if he does go).

10. erniecohen - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:28 AM

This is where PIT has to not make a mistake. At his level of production this season, Rios isn’t worth his salary. This doesn’t mean PIT shouldn’t get him, but they should *not* do it at the cost of a reasonable prospect. He is not the kind of player they want to build around.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester